Have We Discovered Evidence For Life On Titan

Old June 8th 10, 04:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Have We Discovered Evidence For Life On Titan

"Recent results from the Cassini mission suggest that hydrogen and
acetylene are depleted at the surface of Titan. Both results are still
preliminary and the hydrogen loss in particular is the result of a
computer calculation, and not a direct measurement. However the
findings are interesting for astrobiology."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ha...tan_999. html
Old June 9th 10, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 6/8/2010 5:55 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
wrote:

"Recent results from the Cassini mission suggest that hydrogen and
acetylene are depleted at the surface of Titan. Both results are still
preliminary and the hydrogen loss in particular is the result of a
computer calculation, and not a direct measurement. However the
findings are interesting for astrobiology."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ha...tan_999. html

Very interesting.

Seems very speculative if you ask me.

He concludes with four possibilities for the reported findings listed in
order of their likely reality. The first one is:
"The determination that there is a strong flux of hydrogen into the surface is mistaken."
That doesn't seem very speculative to me :-) But then it wouldn't be very interesting
either.

I consider the second most likely possibility to be interesting. On Earth, if
you put H2 in the atmosphere it goes up, unless it reacts chemically with something
it never comes back down and eventually escapes. I would be interested to know how it
goes down on Titan. The third most likely possibility, some kind of catalyst for
hydrogenation at 95 K, is even more interesting. Finally the fourth possibility,
even if unlikely is very interesting. I know that you aren't all that thrilled by
life forms if it doesn't involve purple hair :-) but I am.

Alain Fournier

Old June 10th 10, 02:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 6/9/2010 12:32 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
Finally the fourth
possibility,
even if unlikely is very interesting. I know that you aren't all that
thrilled by
life forms if it doesn't involve purple hair :-) but I am.

According to my cosmology, what should live up there are the Titanic
Titanian Methane Muskies. ;-)

Pat
Old June 12th 10, 04:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John M

"Alain Fournier" wrote in message

"Recent results from the Cassini mission suggest that hydrogen and
acetylene are depleted at the surface of Titan. Both results are still
preliminary and the hydrogen loss in particular is the result of a
computer calculation, and not a direct measurement. However the
findings are interesting for astrobiology."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ha...tan_999. html

Very interesting.

Yep! And it begs the question, is water a source of life because of it's
chemical properties, or because of the behavioral properties of a fluid?

From a behavioral perspective, fluids display short term order combined
with long range disorder. Much like a power law, which is an inverse square.
Inverse square laws dominate both the physical and living worlds.

So, should we treat space-time as just another fluid?

Alain Fournier