Zombie Satellite Causes Astronomical Buzz

Old May 11th 10, 05:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Zombie Satellite Causes Astronomical Buzz

"Don't be alarmed. High above your heads, a
zombie satellite is on the loose. OK, actually,
it won't really be a bother to us earthlings. Or
at least to most of us. (More on that later.) But
the rogue communications satellite is wreaking
havoc in Earth's orbit and does threaten to
interfere with signals coming from other
satellites."

See:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93656?fp=1
Old May 11th 10, 05:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

wrote:
"Don't be alarmed. High above your heads, a zombie satellite is on
the loose. OK, actually, it won't really be a bother to us
earthlings. Or at least to most of us. (More on that later.) But the
rogue communications satellite is wreaking havoc in Earth's orbit
and does threaten to interfere with signals coming from other
satellites."

See:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93656?fp=1

See! See! Thats why we need the technology behind the X-37B! It is
all so clear now - it will evolve into a vehicle which can "reach out
and touch" zombie satellites to protect the purity of our precious
video emissions. It will "contain and neutralize" such dangerous
satellites - that is what the cargo bay will be for. Simply
destroying in orbit is OK for rogue LEO satellites and their deadly
hydrazine payloads, but a more subtle, nuanced approach is indicated
when there is threat to TV signals.

rick jones
Old May 11th 10, 09:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On May 11, 12:23�pm, Rick Jones wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Might be funny to laugh.

But imagine a few asteroids passing thru the clark belt

First the initial hits would take out sats, but then the debris would
make the belt useless.

Ending so many services, like sat tv and even cable tv
Old May 12th 10, 10:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/11/2010 8:23 AM, Rick Jones wrote:

See! See! Thats why we need the technology behind the X-37B! It is
all so clear now - it will evolve into a vehicle which can "reach out
and touch" zombie satellites to protect the purity of our precious
video emissions. It will "contain and neutralize" such dangerous
satellites - that is what the cargo bay will be for. Simply
destroying in orbit is OK for rogue LEO satellites and their deadly
hydrazine payloads, but a more subtle, nuanced approach is indicated
when there is threat to TV signals.

They send the X-37B out to GEO and it's not coming home again.
It's interesting that they didn't put an "off" switch on the satellite
they could activate from the ground, but maybe they were worried about
someone hacking the thing and shutting it off.

Pat
Old May 13th 10, 07:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message elephone
Pat Flannery wrote:

They send the X-37B out to GEO and it's not coming home again.
It's interesting that they didn't put an "off" switch on the satellite
they could activate from the ground, but maybe they were worried about
someone hacking the thing and shutting it off.

There apparently is one, but one of the things that got fried was the
command receiver. What might have been more useful would be a timeout,
if it's heard nothing on the command channel for X days shut up and
listen.

Anthony

Old May 13th 10, 12:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/12/2010 10:42 PM, Anthony Frost wrote:
In elephone
Pat wrote:

They send the X-37B out to GEO and it's not coming home again.
It's interesting that they didn't put an "off" switch on the satellite
they could activate from the ground, but maybe they were worried about
someone hacking the thing and shutting it off.

There apparently is one, but one of the things that got fried was the
command receiver. What might have been more useful would be a timeout,
if it's heard nothing on the command channel for X days shut up and
listen.

Yeah, but for it to downlink, it needs something sent up to it that it
can retransmit down. Since it's floating around free, where's it getting
the uplink signal from?
You watch...this is some sort of sick Japanese plot to downlink Tentacle
Sex Hentai videos to the whole world to corrupt our youth, and make us
easy prey to the twisted designs of conquest that are ever on the mind
of the Mikado.

Pat

Old May 14th 10, 02:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

Pat wrote:

They send the X-37B out to GEO and it's not coming home again.
It's interesting that they didn't put an "off" switch on the satellite
they could activate from the ground, but maybe they were worried about
someone hacking the thing and shutting it off.

There apparently is one, but one of the things that got fried was the
command receiver. What might have been more useful would be a timeout,
if it's heard nothing on the command channel for X days shut up and
listen.

Yeah, but for it to downlink, it needs something sent up to it that it
can retransmit down. Since it's floating around free, where's it getting
the uplink signal from?

Hmmm, can't find the original article I saw or remember where it came
from... Ah, there's something. It's the whole command system appears to
have fried, not just the receiver. Normally the transmitters would be
shut down if the uplink went away but the onboard controller does it
centrally so the transmitters are still putting out carrier wave.

You watch...this is some sort of sick Japanese plot to downlink Tentacle
Sex Hentai videos to the whole world to corrupt our youth, and make us
easy prey to the twisted designs of conquest that are ever on the mind
of the Mikado.

Well as it's currently over Hawaii-ish I think I'm safe here in Soviet
Europistan for a while yet...

Anthony

Old May 14th 10, 11:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/14/2010 5:08 AM, Anthony Frost wrote:
You watch...this is some sort of sick Japanese plot to downlink Tentacle
Sex Hentai videos to the whole world to corrupt our youth, and make us
easy prey to the twisted designs of conquest that are ever on the mind
of the Mikado.

Well as it's currently over Hawaii-ish I think I'm safe here in Soviet
Europistan for a while yet...

Japan has considered Hawaii to be theirs from noon December 7, 1941
forwards.
Japanese 5th columnists have already infiltrated the Hawaiian television
sales industry and installed chips that will disable reception of any
signals not emanating from the now Japanese controlled runaway satellite
(rechristened "Filthy Sex Bird" by the Emperor himself) so that the
perversion and weakening of Hawaiian culture can begin shortly.
"All your televisions are belong to us!" says the Mikado, with a
sinister Oriental cackle of delight.
Only Popeye can save us now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRPvz-LV-k

Pat

Old May 20th 10, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 14/05/2010 11:08 PM, Anthony Frost wrote:

Pat wrote:

[...]

Clearly, the transmitter should shut itself down if it looses a
"heartbeat" from the command system, and the command system should be
able to chop the power on the transmitter if so instructed. Then there
wouldn't be an SPF that could leave the transmitter running.

But avoiding having a rogue satellite transmitting a carrier as it
wonders across the sky (being no longer kept on station), clearly wasn't
on the designer's list of priorities.

Sylvia.
Old May 20th 10, 06:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

Sylvia Else wrote:
But avoiding having a rogue satellite transmitting a carrier as it
wonders across the sky (being no longer kept on station), clearly
wasn't on the designer's list of priorities.

Back in the 1980's there was a cartoon of a person sitting at an
exploded computer terminal with a tag line along the lines of "It's
never done that before."

rick jones