Astro: IC 1296 with M57 on the side

Old September 4th 08, 05:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: IC 1296 with M57 on the side

I was really shooting M57, an object that has won in every encounter for
the last three years. I can't seem to get a good shot of it. But IC
1296 sure came out well. I was amazed at the small star clouds that
line part of the rim of the galaxy's disk. Most shots only show the two
arms and miss the disk. But I seem to have picked up some star clouds
in that disk's edge. Not bad for a bit over 200 million light years.
It must be spectacular for those fortunate to live in a galaxy that can
see it from 10 or 20 million light years.

While M57 looks to be a narrow band type image this is pure LRGB. I
processed it to bring out the faint inner part of the outer shell even
though one hour exposure time at 1x1 binning is a severe under exposure.
Seeing fell to crap after three frames and after two months of waiting
never returned so these three frames was all I could get. I needed 4 or
more hours to do it right of Lum data and a good hour more for each
color. Seeing just didn't cooperate. Color was taken on one of those
lousy seeing nights that I seem to always have when I try for this guy.
How these three frames slipped by my jinx I don't know. This is a
crop of the center of the full frame. Full frame would have been
several megabytes in size. I didn't even process but this center
17'x12' section of the the 34'x24' full frame. Scale = 0.5" per pixel.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=3x20' binned 1x1, RGB = 3x10 binned 2x2,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M57LUM3X20x1-RGB3X10X2-2004.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	2165
Old September 4th 08, 07:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

That's a fine image Rick... well done!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
ster.com...

Old September 4th 08, 10:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Very nice shot Rick!

http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old September 5th 08, 02:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi Rick - there is of course more on the side than IC1296 and M57 in
your image. Yes wonderful detail on the faint inner parts - I was
admiring that before reading your post. BTW, I have a neighbour's
coconut palm that blocks M57 at transit time (sigh). - rod

Old September 5th 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great signal in both objects. Interesting to see those knots in the outer
parts of the galaxy. I am surprised that you got M57's halo so well with
only one hour unfiltered.

Stefan

ster.com...

Old September 5th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

That's a product of my not having to deal with Berlin type skies g.
Actually while seeing was good it was also exceptionally dark. Sky glow
was far less than usual. My background count after 20 minutes was less
than 200. Normally at 1x1 binning it is 300 this time of the year
(least sky glow is around the equinox -- it will hit 900 at the winter
solstice! I should use at least 40 minute subs to get the background I
normally have with 10 minute subs at 2x2 binning but that gives me too
many satellites to deal with.

Glad to see you have a working news server again!

Rick

Old September 9th 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

actually as soon as I paid for a new newsserver my previous ISP (where I
still have almost one year left of my subscription) started to carry the
a.b.p.a. newsgroup again (after "only" three weeks they answered my inquiry
and said that they had problems with 500 newsgroups).