What odds on the first person to walk on Mars and when

Old October 17th 03, 07:09 AM
Stephen

Default What odds on the first person to walk on Mars and when

I would guess that the first person to walk on Mars would probably be
Chinese in about 2020.

My odds would be

Nationality of first person on Mars :-

Chinese 28%
Russian 22%
European probably German 18%
USA 15%
Indian 8%
Other 9%

And the year :-

Before 2010 1%
2010 to 2015 10%
2015 to 2020 20%
2020 to 2025 25%
2025 or later 35%
Never 9%

I guess it is pretty pesimistic to give such odds on us never going
there but it is possible that if we do not go soon the human race will
never have the resources and ability to go.
Old October 17th 03, 11:21 AM
Dr. O

"Stephen" wrote in message
om...
I would guess that the first person to walk on Mars would probably be
Chinese in about 2020.

My odds would be

Nationality of first person on Mars :-

Chinese 28%
Russian 22%
European probably German 18%
USA 15%
Indian 8%
Other 9%

Chinese first on Mars? No way. That's troll-talk. Most likely the U.S. in
conjunction with Russia and Europe or by itself. The Chinese won't be able
to do it before 2020 at least, unless they're willing to take extreme risks.
And we all know that the Communist Party is aversive towards taking risks as
any failure (read: death of the astronauts) will rub off on them and
threaten their power base. The delayed information on the Shenzhou flight
should be indicative to this.

And the year :-

Before 2010 1%
2010 to 2015 10%
2015 to 2020 20%
2020 to 2025 25%
2025 or later 35%
Never 9%

Never is nonsene. Eternity is a long time!! For the rest, the figures seem
about right.

Old October 17th 03, 03:11 PM
Alan Erskine

More google bull. posting.google.com

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister
Mahathir Mohamad - the new Hitler
http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/stor...tic/969056.inp

Old October 17th 03, 04:33 PM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:23:12 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
"Dave" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

It will almost certainly be an American, and it won't be a government
employee.

What odds are you offering. I think I'd like to take a piece of that
action.

I don't know, but it will be several years until the results are
known, anyway. I see very little llikelihood of a government doing
it. I have an ongoing bet (an ounce of gold) with Mark Hopkins that
the first lunar base will be private.

I guess it is pretty pesimistic to give such odds on us never going
there but it is possible that if we do not go soon the human race will
never have the resources and ability to go.

Actually, the longer wait, the easier it will get.

That's not an argument I find terribly convincing myself.

Why? Our technology improves continually, as does our resource base.