Aerospace education enrollment

Old June 9th 05, 02:02 PM
Jon S. Berndt

Default Aerospace education enrollment

Is anyone aware of statistics showing the number of degrees awarded in
aerospace engineering over the past 40 or 50 years?

Jon

Old June 9th 05, 04:29 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:02:49 -0500, Jon S. Berndt wrote
(in article ):

s anyone aware of statistics showing the number of degrees awarded in
aerospace engineering over the past 40 or 50 years?

Jon

The University of Tennessee awarded about 23 in 1990 (including mine).
How's that for a statistic?

Sorry, I can't answer as to any other university or year . . . ;-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old June 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Bill Higgins

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, "Jon S. Berndt" jsb.at.hal-pc-dot.org writes:

Is anyone aware of statistics showing the number of degrees awarded in
aerospace engineering over the past 40 or 50 years?

I'd nose around aiaa.org, the American Institute of Aeronautics
and Astronautics. They probably keep track of such things.

--
"...at the end of the 19th century. There's a | Bill Higgins
dirigible, see? And on this dirigible are all | Fermilab
Old June 9th 05, 08:42 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:02:49 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Jon S.
Berndt" jsb.at.hal-pc-dot.org made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Is anyone aware of statistics showing the number of degrees awarded in
aerospace engineering over the past 40 or 50 years?

Why do you want to know? You're aware, I assume, that many engineers
in the aerospace industry have other than aerospace engineering
degrees (including me) and that many with aerospace degrees end up
working in some other field?
Old June 9th 05, 11:20 PM
Jon S. Berndt

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

Why do you want to know? You're aware, I assume, that many engineers
in the aerospace industry have other than aerospace engineering
degrees (including me) and that many with aerospace degrees end up
working in some other field?

Yes. I'm aware. But, it's a meaningful benchmark for what I am doing. The
next AIAA-Houston newsletter (which I am currently the editor for) will
focus on education.

I have found some useful sites:

"Aerospace Education Foundation"
http://www.aef.org/

"Graduate Enrollment in Science and Engineering Programs ..."
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d99/d99t217.asp

etc.

Jon

Old June 11th 05, 07:42 PM

Jon S. Berndt wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

Why do you want to know? You're aware, I assume, that many engineers
in the aerospace industry have other than aerospace engineering
degrees (including me) and that many with aerospace degrees end up
working in some other field?

Yes. I'm aware.

Huh? You have no more than the same overbearing sense of awareness as
Roger and Herbs, based on your past posts.

The next AIAA-Houston newsletter (which I am currently the
editor for)

Maybe you've finally found your niche, after all the thrashing around
you've done with your web pages. Were you the editor of your high
school yearbook? NASA is always looking for people like that -- you
know, Rogers/Keel/Gehman clones.

will focus on education.

Houston, you have a problem? Who'da thunk it?

Challenger's Ghost