Anyone know of the GSO 1080 telescope?

Old September 30th 04, 10:23 PM
Thomas Womack

Default Anyone know of the GSO 1080 telescope?

The German company www.telescope-service.com offers a 12-inch
Dobsonian for about 989 Euros, which seems in comparison to everywhere
else I've looked a good price even if I have to go from London to
Munich and back to collect it (hey, it's an excuse for a trip to Munich
if nothing else).

I can't find any reviews of this telescope on-line; I read German, but
all the hits on "GSO 1080" seem to be adverts rather than reviews.

Has anyone encountered the telescope, or indeed the company? Their Web
site seems to say sensible sorts of things, they don't look completely
fly-by-night, but the lack of reviews worries me slightly.

What I have at the moment is a department-store Celestron 4.5"
reflector, on an irredeemably wobbly mount with a wobbly finder; it's
twenty minutes of trial and error to find, for example, Venus, and
star-hopping seems pretty much impossible because in no configuration
do I get more than half a dozen stars in a field. This was fairly
clearly a foolish purchase.

I'm suffering an incurable case of aperture fever after using a 36"
scope in Australia last year --
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fivemack/17951.html

Tom
Old September 30th 04, 11:01 PM
Geoff

On 30 Sep 2004 22:23:45 +0100 (BST), Thomas Womack
wrote:

The German company www.telescope-service.com offers a 12-inch
Dobsonian for about 989 Euros, which seems in comparison to everywhere
else I've looked a good price even if I have to go from London to
Munich and back to collect it (hey, it's an excuse for a trip to Munich
if nothing else).

I can't find any reviews of this telescope on-line; I read German, but
all the hits on "GSO 1080" seem to be adverts rather than reviews.

Try this for starters

http://members.rogers.com/ggaherty/skymentor12dob.htm

Or

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

I have the 10 inch of the same scope. Guan Sheng sell them to many
dealers worldwide who put their own brand on them.
Dont worry, they are the best dob you can buy for the price

Geoff
Old October 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Craig B

I'm with Rod and Geoff on the GSO meaning . Also thanks to Geoff for
recommending it to me , its here , clouds have parted and its first light
tonight :-)

Craig
Montreal , Canada

"Rod Mollise" wrote in message
I can't find any reviews of this telescope on-line; I read German, but
all the hits on "GSO 1080" seem to be adverts rather than reviews.

Hi:

This is just a guess, but I'd _guess_ that "GSO" stands for "Guan Sheng
Optical," the Taiwanese maker of a lot of the dobs being imported from the

Far
East at this time. Word is, these are pretty good--if you like dobs. ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old October 1st 04, 07:47 AM
Mile Blenton

Thomas Womack wrote:

The German company www.telescope-service.com offers a 12-inch
Dobsonian for about 989 Euros, which seems in comparison to everywhere

Has anyone encountered the telescope, or indeed the company? Their Web
site seems to say sensible sorts of things, they don't look completely
fly-by-night, but the lack of reviews worries me slightly.

I own an 8" GSO dob which I bought at the telescope-service store
about 2 years ago and still am very satisfied with the scope and
enjoy very much using it.

Still, if I was buying a new scope now, I'd never go for a GSO 8"...
....I'd get myself a GSO 10" - minimum

As for the telescope-service company I must say they know their business,
are very easy to work with, very helpful and professional.

Best regards,
Mario

Old October 1st 04, 01:13 PM
Gaz

Hi,

GSO is a Guen Sheng scope, the same optics as the Hardin, Orion etc
Dobs (ie great for the money). Is the supplier Teleskop Service
(Direct?)? if it is then I bought an 8' Dob off them 3 years ago and
they were great to deal with, the owner Wolfi is a nice friendly guy
and the scope arrived in the UK 3 days after I placed the order.

Go for it!! ;O)

Gaz
Old October 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
Szaki

I think Celestron has or coming out with a 12.5 DOB for under a $1000.
You don't have to go to Germany!
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/starhopper12.htm

Julius

Old October 3rd 04, 02:06 AM
Gaz

"Szaki" wrote in message news:JTB7d.189305$3l3.27363@attbi_s03...
I think Celestron has or coming out with a 12.5 DOB for under a $1000.
You don't have to go to Germany!
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/starhopper12.htm

Julius

He's a Brit, that Celestron, even if it gets sold over here, will cost 900 quid.

;O)

Gaz
Old October 3rd 04, 02:54 AM
Geoff

On 2 Oct 2004 18:06:10 -0700, (Gaz) wrote:

"Szaki" wrote in message news:JTB7d.189305$3l3.27363@attbi_s03...
I think Celestron has or coming out with a 12.5 DOB for under a $1000.
You don't have to go to Germany!
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/starhopper12.htm

Julius

He's a Brit, that Celestron, even if it gets sold over here, will cost 900 quid.

;O)

Gaz

You Yanks dont know just how good you have got it !
Try pricing premium brand eyepieces in any other country and you'll
see the prices are marked up by 50-100% putting these items out of the
reach of the majority.

Please take pity on the foreign buyers in Astromart as its their only
way to get quality gear at sane prices. All too often a sellers ad is
marked CONUS only. * sheds a tear *