NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

Old February 20th 18, 07:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:29:06 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:
Building infrastructive is a practical obstacle. 3 MW cables
handled by the average driver is a theoretical obstacle.

3MW isn't needed by an electric car, that's the power needed by a
typical railway engine!
Old February 20th 18, 07:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:55:19 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:
The US currently uses the equivalent of about one terrawatt-hour of
gasoline right now.

How long is "now"? If you don't want to specify a time interval, you
should talk about TW instead of TWh.
Old February 20th 18, 07:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:28:34 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
Only a small minority *ever* take long road trips?

I didn't say that. You can rent a different kind of car. You can own
two different kinds of cars. You can be part of a shared car pool
(that's going to be increasingly popular given the waste associated
with exclusive car ownership).

Or you can use public transportation.
Old February 20th 18, 02:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:55:07 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:47:48 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:33:07 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

Charge times (and charging at all) are an obstacle with no practical
solution, even theoretically.

You've said some silly things over time, but this may be the silliest.

What's so silly about people not being able to charge their cars overnight...

because the plug near where their car is parked is only a normal plug, for a block heater,

not the kind of plug used for the oven in the kitchen.

That's not what's silly. What's silly is that there's no practical
solution, "even theoretically".
Old February 20th 18, 02:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:03:32 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:07:00 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
Almost every home has 220V service with 30-50A fusing. Of course,

not
for every outlet, so it's true that a new outlet might need to be
installed in the garage.

I thought the US had 110V in their outlets. Did thar change? Did you
switch to 50Hz as well?

U.S. homes receive their power off of a center tapped transformer
which provides (nominally) 120 volts on each leg. Most outlets are
wired between the center tap and one of the two legs, providing 120 V.
Several outlets are commonly wired across the outside legs, providing
240 V. These are usually found in laundry areas (for electric dryers),
in kitchens (for electric stoves and ovens), and in garages (for tools
such as welders and compressors). It is simple enough to add 240 V
outlets when needed for other purposes (for instance, I put a 50A 240
V outlet in my wife's studio for an electric kiln).

(Houses typically have 200 amp service, but can opt for 400 amp
without the power company needing to make any wiring changes.)
Old February 20th 18, 02:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:01:50 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:50:34 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Not at all. If you regularly drive more than 300 miles, it simply
means that the current generation of EVs isn't appropriate for your
needs. For you there remains conventional gasoline engines, or hybrids
systems. And it is quite certain that long range EV solutions will be
developed over the next few years.

Nothing that doesn't already exist is certain. I mean, we still don't
have a cure for AIDS.

Some things are certain enough.
Old February 20th 18, 03:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

RichA wrote in
:

On Monday, 19 February 2018 18:46:53 UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:55:19 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote in
m:

Kujisalimisha wrote:

Not at all. If you regularly drive more than 300 miles,
it simply means that the current generation of EVs isn't
appropriate for your needs.

And no proposed EV will be, any time soon.

We'll see.

To those who aren't morons, we already have. The laws of
physics aren't changing.

But it doesn't matter. Your driving habits place you
in a small minority of the driving market.

Only a small minority *ever* take long road trips?

I didn't say that.

Yeah, you pretty much did.

I note that you do not address a single one of the real
obstacles I've mentioned. As I predicted.

You will *never* do so, because you *know* I am right.

You can rent a different kind of car. You can
own two different kinds of cars.

If you're willing to turn all poor people out into the street
to starve to death, sure. There are tens of millions of people
in the US who *can't* own two different kinds of cars, and
would have no place to keep the secone one if they did.

You will *never* address that, because you *know* I am right.

You can be part of a shared car
pool (that's going to be increasingly popular given the waste
associated with exclusive car ownership).

No, not you *can* be, rather, you *must* be. Which means you
need to work and live within walking distance of other people
in the pool. Which, again, puts millions of people out of work.

Your brilliant plan seems to have a few flaws. You're one of
them.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Most of this is pointless,

Yes, rehashing an argument that Chris has already lost is.

So is trying to hijack the thread into a completely different
discussion.

Old February 20th 18, 03:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Quadibloc wrote in news:73deea3c-20fe-40ca-9c3c-
:

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:

Most of this is pointless, except from a REAL pollution point of
view (not C02 production) because global warming either does not
exist, or not due to man, or its effects are being ridiculously
misinterpreted.

What are you smoking?

Sadly, not his ltihium. (Now *that* is funny at least two different
ways.)

Old February 20th 18, 03:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Kujisalimisha wrote:

Charge times (and charging at all) are an obstacle with no
practical solution, even theoretically.

You've said some silly things over time, but this may be the
silliest.

What's so silly about people not being able to charge their cars
overnight...

because the plug near where their car is parked is only a normal
plug, for a block heater,

not the kind of plug used for the oven in the kitchen.

That's not what's silly. What's silly is that there's no
practical solution, "even theoretically".

You've yet to explain who tens of millions of people are going to
get access to $50,000+ fast charging stations in their apartments
with not off-street parking.

And you *never* will. Because you *know* I'm right.

Old February 20th 18, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Quadibloc wrote in
:

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 7:26:01 AM UTC-7, Chris L
Peterson wrote:

That's not what's silly. What's silly is that there's no
practical solution, "even theoretically".

Well, it is true that there are such things as
superconductors... I thought he was still referring to the
situation of these apartment dwellers, not the laws of physics,
due to the context.

Even with a supercondcutor (and remember, "room temprature"
superconductors still require pretty extreme cooling), you're still
dealing with amounts of electricity that are dangerous for untrained
idiots to handle. And home charging stations that cost more than the
car are not a solution on a road trip to Vegas.

But Chris won't *ever* address any of that, because he *knows* I'm
right.