NASA Chief to Congress: Save the James Webb Space Telescope

Old July 13th 11, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default NASA Chief to Congress: Save the James Webb Space Telescope

NASA Chief to Congress: Save the James Webb Space Telescope

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-web-telescope

"I have tried to explain what I think is the importance of James Webb,
in terms of opening new horizons far greater than we got from Hubble,"
Bolden told members of the House Science, Space and Technology committee
Tuesday. "I would only say that for about the same cost as Hubble in
real-year dollars, we'll bring James Webb into operation.

"The NASA chief also stressed JWST's potential to revolutionize our
understanding of the universe, invoking Hubble's great achievements as
an example of what such powerful telescopes can do.

"When we started Hubble, dark energy didn't exist. At least, we didn't
know about it," Bolden said. "When we launched Hubble, there was no such
thing as extrasolar planets. So those kinds of discoveries would
probably go lacking, unless some other nation stepped forward and did it."

See:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-web-telescope

Old July 14th 11, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
uncarollo

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hief-to-congre....

"I have tried to explain what I think is the importance of James Webb,
in terms of opening new horizons far greater than we got from Hubble,"
Bolden told members of the House Science, Space and Technology committee
Tuesday. "I would only say that for about the same cost as Hubble in
real-year dollars, we'll bring James Webb into operation.

"The NASA chief also stressed JWST's potential to revolutionize our
understanding of the universe, invoking Hubble's great achievements as
an example of what such powerful telescopes can do.

"When we started Hubble, dark energy didn't exist. At least, we didn't
know about it," Bolden said. "When we launched Hubble, there was no such
thing as extrasolar planets. So those kinds of discoveries would
probably go lacking, unless some other nation stepped forward and did it."

See:http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hief-to-congre...

The people of this country voted in anti-intellectuals (Tea Party
types) - do you really think they give a rip about extra-solar planets
and dark energy. They'll be voting for Bachman who is sure that the
world is only 6000 years old and her eyes will glaze over when you
tell her about red shift.

Illinois Uncle
Old July 14th 11, 01:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

uncarollo:
The people of this country voted in anti-intellectuals (Tea Party
types) - do you really think they give a rip about extra-solar planets
and dark energy. They'll be voting for Bachman who is sure that the
world is only 6000 years old and her eyes will glaze over when you
tell her about red shift.

*****

The Tea Party has become my go-to source (no pun on my 1200GTO
intended, uncarollo) for accurate science information. No more wasting
time on /Science/ or other expensive and hard-to-read journals. The Tea
Party lays it all out, and you don't even have to think!

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding
Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design." * Michele Bachmann
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...-quotes-_n_872
256.html#s288337&title=Many_Scientists_Believe.

"You know what, evolution is a mythŠ.Why aren't monkeys still evolving
into humans?" - Christine O¹Donnell
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...ll-evolution-m
onkeys_n_739131.html

''I absolutely do not believe in the science of man-caused climate
change. It's not proven by any stretch of the imagination...It's far
more likely that it's just sunspot activity or just something in the
geologic eons of time. Excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere 'gets
sucked down by trees and helps the trees grow.''' - Ron Johnson
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...ohnson-sunspot
s/

"American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals
and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains." -
Christine O'Donnell
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel...craziest-quote
_b_773228.html#s164100&title=ODonnell_on_Mice

Looks like they are also putting bird brains into humans.

http://www.americanhumanist.org/HNN/...en-tea-party-q
uotes

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 14th 11, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Hyman

In
uncarollo wrote:

The people of this country voted in anti-intellectuals (Tea Party
types)

I didn't realize that Obama was a "Tea Party" type.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 14th 11, 05:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Hyman

In Davoud wrote:

The Tea Party has become my go-to source (no pun on my 1200GTO
intended, uncarollo) for accurate science information. No more wasting
time on /Science/ or other expensive and hard-to-read journals. The
Tea Party lays it all out, and you don't even have to think!

When you put politicians in charge of your programs, don't be surprised
to find politicians running your programs.

Besides, the country is broke, and has been broke for a very long time.
Just what did you expect to happen?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 14th 11, 05:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_44_]

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
| In
| uncarollo wrote:
|
| The people of this country voted in anti-intellectuals (Tea Party
| types)
|
| I didn't realize that Obama was a "Tea Party" type.
|
| --
| Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

I didn't realise the people of THIS country voted for yankee halfwit aol
subscribers.
Take your parochial quibbles out of sci newsgroups.
Androcles London, England.

Old July 14th 11, 05:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Hyman

In "Androcles"
wrote:

Take your parochial quibbles out of sci newsgroups.
Androcles London, England.

OK. But maybe your country's space program should take up the slack to
build, launch and maintain the Webb telescope.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 14th 11, 06:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
The Tea Party has become my go-to source (no pun on my 1200GTO
intended, uncarollo) for accurate science information. No more wasting
time on /Science/ or other expensive and hard-to-read journals. The
Tea Party lays it all out, and you don't even have to think!

Bert Hyman:
When you put politicians in charge of your programs, don't be surprised
to find politicians running your programs.

Politicians make the broad rules and bureaucrats carry them out. I find
nothing wrong with that. It got us national parks, interstate highways,
a space program, medical research, and countless other good things. The
skilled and dedicated bureaucrats are in place; it only needs
right-minded politicians to make the rules.

Old July 14th 11, 06:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Hyman

In Davoud wrote:

The skilled and dedicated bureaucrats are in place; it only needs
right-minded politicians to make the rules.

Right-minded? That's funny. You must be new on this planet.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 14th 11, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_44_]

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
| In "Androcles"
| wrote:
|
| Take your parochial quibbles out of sci newsgroups.
| Androcles London, England.
|
| OK. But maybe your country's space program should take up the slack to
| build, launch and maintain the Webb telescope.

My country charted the sky accurately and built the clocks for mariners
to navigate by. Take up your own slack, we've shown the way.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/places/royal-observatory/