Pad damage

Old June 2nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Pad damage

So then, what is the cause. Is it subsidence? Sounds like some ultrasound
testing might be in order in the trench.

Brian

Old June 3rd 08, 12:11 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:22:50 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

So then, what is the cause. Is it subsidence? Sounds like some ultrasound
testing might be in order in the trench.

....And weren't you also noting that the downlink audio had a
significant vibration to it? I'm now wondering if there was more to it
now, Brian.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old June 3rd 08, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

wrote:

So then, what is the cause. Is it subsidence? Sounds like some ultrasound
testing might be in order in the trench.

...And weren't you also noting that the downlink audio had a
significant vibration to it? I'm now wondering if there was more to it
now, Brian.

And the disturbing increase in number and size of debris from a Tank
that was supposed to be the "best yet" (but in reality looks to be the
second worst since RTF.)

Related? Probably not, but with NASA seemingly unwilling to
acknowledge that the new Tank gave a far from stellar performance, its
hard to just dismiss the possibility.

Brian
Old June 3rd 08, 01:11 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Rick Jones

wrote:
So then, what is the cause. Is it subsidence? Sounds like some
ultrasound testing might be in order in the trench.

...And weren't you also noting that the downlink audio had a
significant vibration to it? I'm now wondering if there was more to
it now, Brian.

How much can come off an SRB without it being "fatal?" Could a chunk
of propellant have come-loose and detonated somewhere in the tunnel?
How about the liquid propellants?

Or perhaps something more prosaic - like someone left something behind
in the tunnel?

rick jones
Old June 3rd 08, 01:27 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jun 2, 8:11 pm, Rick Jones wrote:

How much can come off an SRB without it being "fatal?" Could a chunk
of propellant have come-loose and detonated somewhere in the tunnel?
How about the liquid propellants?

The solid propellant doesn't detonate and if a chunk came out, it
would mean there is a problem with the SRM. Impossible with the
liquids.

Old June 3rd 08, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
[email protected]

wrote:
So then, what is the cause. Is it subsidence? Sounds like some ultrasound
testing might be in order in the trench.

...And weren't you also noting that the downlink audio had a
significant vibration to it? I'm now wondering if there was more to it
now, Brian.

The vibration was with camera mount and not the ride to orbit
Old June 3rd 08, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:28:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

The vibration was with camera mount and not the ride to orbit

....Care to cite source?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -
Old June 3rd 08, 02:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Rick Jones wrote in news:g2227b$pdk$1
@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

How much can come off an SRB without it being "fatal?" Could a chunk
of propellant have come-loose and detonated somewhere in the tunnel?
How about the liquid propellants?

No. Most likely the pad's aged and deteriorated enough that it's
started to fall apart under the stress. Imagine what a full-up
Ares V might do to it with 10 million pounds or more of thrust...

Way back in the 70's, I had the unique opportunity to walk through
one of those trenches. I don't remember the lining being so clean
appearing; seemed like it was pretty sooty.

--Damon

Old June 3rd 08, 03:36 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:03:54 -0500, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

The ET camera is mounted on the LOX feedline fairing. On an HD source,
it is quite evident that it is the feedline vibrating and not the rest
of the tank. With a poorer quality video source, the fisheye lens effect
makes it difficult to discern where the feedline leaves off and the rest
of the tank begins.

I don't have a documented source for that, but I know from multiple
sources that it is true.

The ET-Cam is HD? I've never seen any images from it remotely close to
HD. It looks very, very SD to me.

Okay, Jorge! Quit hogging the HD videos from the ET-Cam! We want to
see them! :-)

Brian