The Flame Barrier in 1955

Old May 18th 08, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default The Flame Barrier in 1955

First the sound barrier, then the Flame Barrier:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...flame-barrier/
The X-3 isn't only going to fail to breech the flame barrier, but also
the sound barrier.

Pat
Old May 18th 08, 04:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On May 17, 9:52 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
First the sound barrier, then the Flame Barrier:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...the-deadly-fla...
The X-3 isn't only going to fail to breech the flame barrier, but also
the sound barrier.

Thanks for this. I added it to my X-3 collection.

Mike
Old May 19th 08, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:
On May 17, 9:52 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

First the sound barrier, then the Flame Barrier:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...the-deadly-fla...
The X-3 isn't only going to fail to breech the flame barrier, but also
the sound barrier.

Thanks for this. I added it to my X-3 collection.

Ever see this?: http://www.periscopefilm.com/dox3stpiflop.html
There's videos of it over he
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Movie/X-3/index.html
I always wanted to see a artist's concept of what it would have looked
like with the lenticular ramjets inside the wings.

Pat

Old May 20th 08, 04:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

On May 19, 11:11*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
wrote:
On May 17, 9:52 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

First the sound barrier, then the Flame Barrier:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...the-deadly-fla...
The X-3 isn't only going to fail to breech the flame barrier, but also
the sound barrier.

Thanks for this. *I added it to my X-3 collection.

Ever see this?:http://www.periscopefilm.com/dox3stpiflop.html
There's videos of it over hehttp://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Movie/X-3/index.html
I always wanted to see a artist's concept of what it would have looked
like with the lenticular ramjets inside the wings.

Pat

There was a quite similar article in Science Digest around the same
time, titled, "Can we crack the Heat Barrier?"

Matt Bille
Sci/Tech news and comment:
http://mattbille.blogspot.com/
Old May 20th 08, 08:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Matt wrote:
There was a quite similar article in Science Digest around the same
time, titled, "Can we crack the Heat Barrier?"

You know, if they'd taken those tiny wings off of the thing and souped
up the tires, they could have held the world land speed record for
around 20 years.
If it didn't have the unfortunate tendency to lift off, I'll bet the X-3
could have cracked 400 mph on the salt flats.
It sure looked fast, didn't it?
It looked like it was doing around Mach 4-5 while standing still.
Still have to get that Lindberg 1/48th scale model of one, stick Genie
nuclear rockets on the wingtips, and have it riding atop a Navaho booster.
That would've extracted the **** from the Ruskies like milk from a cow. :-)

Pat
Old May 20th 08, 09:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:01:41 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

If it didn't have the unfortunate tendency to lift off, I'll bet the X-3
could have cracked 400 mph on the salt flats.

"Thank you for purchasing the world's fastest tricycle..."

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 20th 08, 10:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

If it didn't have the unfortunate tendency to lift off, I'll bet the X-3
could have cracked 400 mph on the salt flats.

"Thank you for purchasing the world's fastest tricycle..."

Can you imagine peering through those strange, flat windows as you rev
up to the 260 knot liftoff speed?
****, the pilots on this thing were either insane or had testicles made
out of pure adamantine steel around the size of bowling balls.
Me, I'd write and sign my last will and testament before getting within
100 feet of the damned thing. :-D

Pat
Old May 20th 08, 09:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

wrote:

If it didn't have the unfortunate tendency to lift off, I'll bet the X-3
could have cracked 400 mph on the salt flats.

"Thank you for purchasing the world's fastest tricycle..."

Can you imagine peering through those strange, flat windows as you rev
up to the 260 knot liftoff speed?
****, the pilots on this thing were either insane or had testicles made
out of pure adamantine steel around the size of bowling balls.
Me, I'd write and sign my last will and testament before getting within
100 feet of the damned thing. :-D

Pat

Yeah, but it was the fastest LOOKING plane ever built, even beating
the NF-104A on that score.
Old May 20th 08, 09:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Pat Flannery wrote:

You know, if they'd taken those tiny wings off of the thing and souped
up the tires, they could have held the world land speed record for
around 20 years.

Back when the Land Speed Record was the thing to beat, and Craig
Breedlove was doing it with that jet, I gave some thought to
kitcashing a LSR car from the X-3. I figured I could come up with
some way to hang two more wheels outside the intakes, and two with the
axle as the plane of the trailing edge of the (removed) wing.

I ended up making a 3-wheel jet car from a spare F-104.

Mike
Old May 21st 08, 04:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Pat Flannery wrote:

Ever see this?: http://www.periscopefilm.com/dox3stpiflop.html

Didn't know about this. Thanks.

It reminds me to find the site that has the Airacuda manual. I thinkl
my ex-wife threw it away.

There's videos of it over he
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Movie/X-3/index.html

Thanks. I found these on the NTRS site. There's two different
versions of EM-0030-01: one is 1120k and the other is 4610k.

I always wanted to see a artist's concept of what it would have looked
like with the lenticular ramjets inside the wings.

This is a new idea. What are lenticular ramjets? I have photos of
the X-3 with ramjet tubes on the wingtips, but nothing lenticular.

Mike