Good News for Big Bang theory

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th 06, 09:03 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default Good News for Big Bang theory

" writes:

So we have agreement on several important issues, but some remaining
differences, as discussed below.

There is an ongoing debate over whether the very large-scale distribution of galaxies is fractal,
or goes over into a homogeneous distribution.

It is ongoing, but not in serious circles. There IS a scale above which
there is large-scale homogeneity.

"Serious" cosmologists can say that as many times as they like, but it
is still a matter of faith, and I use that term literally. What
scientific proof do you offer for your claim of homogeneity? The
microwave background used to be the best supporting evidence, but many
strange anomalies (recently the possibility of a quadrupole anisotropy)
and correlations with the Solar System's ecliptic, etc. have clearly
shown that we probably have much more to learn about the large-scale
structure of the observable universe? As scientists, we need be sure
that the evidence is unambiguous before we declare an issue closed.

Ok, but quite simply: is there some prediction or test by which the
new, and heavily reworked, modified, adjusted, Big Bang paradigm can be
falsified, or does the present incarnation of the Big Bang paradigm not
meet Popper's criterion for science?

Certainly. But you have to define exactly what you mean first. Second,
it is a widespread misconception that disproving one aspect of a theory
also disproves the foundations. That is not necessarily the case.

Please show me at least one definitive prediction, by which we might
put the Big Bang paradigm to a rigorous, quantitative scientific test.