Ranging and Pioneer

Old August 5th 06, 02:14 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default Ranging and Pioneer

In article ,
George Dishman writes:
The transmitter can be switched off and on but
after switching on it can take a long time to
lock on.

Don't think about switching the transmitter on and off. Instead
command the spacecraft to continuously downlink the contents of some
memory location. Now send a command to change the contents of that
location, and see how long it takes for the new value to be received
in downlink. As Craig wrote, a more sophisticated equivalent of this
is how ranging to more modern spacecraft is done.

Apparently the Pioneer hardware and software don't allow this
procedure to give a useful range. Without knowing spacecraft
details, it's impossible to say exactly why, but I see no reason to
disbelieve the experts. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if signal
strength is the major issue: how many bits/s can Pioneer send back
now? That is certainly one fundamental limitation.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

Ranging and Pioneer Oh No Research 87 September 26th 06 09:25 PM
Ranging and Pioneer Jonathan Silverlight Research 1 August 1st 06 06:32 AM
Ranging and Pioneer Oz Research 2 August 1st 06 06:31 AM
30 Years of Pioneer Spacecraft Data Rescued: The Planetary Society Enables Study of the Mysterious Pioneer Anomaly [email protected] News 0 June 6th 06 05:35 PM