Worthy of survival

Old October 4th 06, 08:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
EvilBill

Default Worthy of survival

On 2006-10-04 08:57:56 -0700, "EvilBill" said:

They're too busy massacring little kids and their mothers in Gaza and
the West Bank.

That's right - those poor victims of Palestinians, because they and
their extensions of Hezb'allah and Hammas never, ever killed mother
and children deliberately.

It's amazing how many idiots ... oh, wait, it's Kolker...

Well, I'm certainly not holding Hamas and co blameless, but the Israeli army
often deliberately targets civilians (the recent Lebanon conflict was a
prime example). They just seem to keep retaliating to each other, it's like
a bunch of kids in a schoolyard, one bully starts a fight and everyone keeps
it going, no-one's willing to be the bigger person and say 'I'm walking away
from this ****'.

* I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
to expect the worst.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

Old October 4th 06, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
T C MCKEAN

Default space explorationl

"Bob Kolker" wrote in message

Bring in water and air from the Kuiper Belt. If Mars's atmosphere
were made a little thicker than Earth's, the surface temperature at
low latitudes would be warm enough for open-field agriculture, and the
radiation issue would largely go away.

Bull****! Mars has no Magnetsphere. Solar Radiation will "sandblast" any
atmosphere we can put in place. Keep in mind the Sun is very mean and
dangerous. It only seems benign to us because we have a magnetosphere
protecting us. When or if that goes away, prepare to use 2000 sun blocker.

Of course we can, technologically. Just not politically. Too many
corrupt and incompetent governments involved.

Also no need. There are lots of places with sufficient rainfall.

Compared to Mars, the Sahara desert is a vaction resort. Mars sucks ****
as a location. It is dead. It will cost a fortune to make a habitat just
for a few people and it won't be sustainable. There is not enough free
water there for any population growth and water is too heavy to carry on
interplanetary wessels.

You don't carry it on vessels. You move KBOs and similar objects.

Hocus Pocus. The heavist long term load we have hoisted into freefall
weighs under twentyfive tonnes. Our propulsions systems, dear lad, are
elaborations of the Chinese Rocket perfected during the Tang dynasty.
Can the area around the Dead Sea be made self sustaining. It cannot.

Sure it can.

If it could the Israelis would have done it by now.

Interplantary travel is so limited and so expensive only the bare minimum
can be carried in and that can sustain life for only a short time.

The same could be said about the Vikings' settlements in Greenland and
Newfoundland. They failed, but only because they were small,
half-hearted, private efforts. If you send one ship, you are likely
to fail. If you send one a week, sheer weight of numbers and learning
from experience makes it much more likely you will succeed.

Keep in mind that the New World is on this planet and has everything need
to sustain human life. Mars has nothing, bupkis, kduchus, nada, zilch,
zero. And it does not have a magnetsphere to keep any atmosphere we could
build. The best we can do is put domes on mars and stay mosly underground
during the day time.

The only good thing I can say about Mars is that Venus is worse.

It is. But Mars is actually eminently terraformable.

The **** it is. No magnetosphere. The best we will get is Dome City
somewhere near the poles so some water can be tapped from the ice. Mars
has not been a live planet for two billion years and is not likely to be
one ever again.

Your kuyper belt project will take decades, perhaps centuries to do. We
can get everything we need, right here on the ground cheaper and faster.
We choose not to do these things, not because they are easy, but because
they are too hard and too expensive. Tell me, laddy, will the Georgey
Porgey LVT tax scheme produce the revenue for this?

Bob Kolker

We will not find any profit until humans are a regular part of the space
exploration. Yes computer robots can do it cheaper and more efficiently
right now. But we humans are the only ones who can find unique solutions to
interplanitary travel and living in space and other planetary bodies or
astoroids. We may not be able to build an engine fit for intergalactic
travel because on earth it would be too cost prohibitive and with the
abundance of minerals in space it could be done cheaply eventually. This
does not mean we should not consentrate effort to solve problems here on
earth but we will never get out their and find a way to explore and live
unless we start somewhere. Human life is always searching for challenges and
like the explorers and pioneers of our own America we long for the need to
search the next mountain and to live and thrive in the new environment.
Space exploration is thaqt next mountain and I would gladly give my life to
pursue and live in that environment ..if only I could.
Tina

Old October 4th 06, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
EvilBill

Bob Kolker wrote:
EvilBill wrote:

Well, I'm certainly not holding Hamas and co blameless, but the
Israeli army often deliberately targets civilians (the recent
Lebanon conflict was a prime example). They just seem to keep
retaliating to each other, it's like a bunch of kids in a
schoolyard, one bully starts a fight and everyone keeps it going,
no-one's willing to be the bigger person and say 'I'm walking away
from this ****'.

That's right. Let the Jews turn the other cheek.

Let the Israelis respect the 1967 borders, then a solid framework for peace
can be established.

Old October 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

T C MCKEAN wrote:

[...]

By all means, but at your expense, not mine. Your cosmic ambitions are
no justification for theft.

Bob Kolker

Old October 4th 06, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

wrote:

And what don't _you_ know about?

TBD. In the mean time we act on what we DO know, not on what we MIGHT know.

Bob Kolker

Old October 4th 06, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Stephen Fairchild

Bob Kolker wrote:

Anyone who says we have an energy shortage in the absolute sense simply
is not paying attention. What we have is a shortage of wit and wisdom
and a mega dose of weaking blinders and shortsightedness. The is more to
energy than natural gas and petroleum.

That would be coal which can be converted into oil and gas.
--
Stephen Fairchild