Mars Express images Phobos

Old November 11th 04, 05:26 PM
Paul Neave

Default Mars Express images Phobos

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...1TVJD1E_0.html

Stunning! I wonder if they have enough images to create a
computer-generated 3D model of the satellite?...

Paul.

Old November 11th 04, 05:38 PM
Tim Auton

"Paul Neave" wrote:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...1TVJD1E_0.html

Stunning! I wonder if they have enough images to create a
computer-generated 3D model of the satellite?...

"This tiny moon is thought to be in a ‘death spiral’, slowly orbiting
toward the surface of Mars."

"Eventually Phobos could be torn apart by Martian gravity and become a
short-lived ring around Mars, or even impact on the surface."

I wonder when and what we might see from Earth?

Tim
--
Anyone who qualifies their comments with "just my
two cents" is usually over-valuing their contribution.
Old November 11th 04, 05:43 PM
SaberScorpX

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...1TVJD1E_0.html

Stunning! I wonder if they have enough images to create a
computer-generated 3D model of the satellite?

Does Celestia's Phobos count?
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Old November 11th 04, 06:47 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Paul Neave wrote:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...1TVJD1E_0.html

Stunning! I wonder if they have enough images to create a
computer-generated 3D model of the satellite?...

Paul.

Wow!

Does anyone have idea what might be the cause of the parallel
groves running predominanly from the upper left to the lower
right of the image? That seems strange...

- Alex
Old November 12th 04, 05:00 AM
Larry G

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:47:21 -0800, Alexander Avtanski
wrote:

Wow!

Does anyone have idea what might be the cause of the parallel
groves running predominanly from the upper left to the lower
right of the image? That seems strange...

- Alex

My guess would be rock strata. More than likely the moon
was created when a much larger body was struck by a very large
meteorite or small asteroid. Basically a chunk was ejected
more or less in tact.

So, the streaks indicate multiple lava flows, accretion layers,
or deposited by ancient seas, though this last possibility is
the least likely.

Cheers,
Larry G.

Old November 12th 04, 06:59 AM
Rob

I see parts for my 87 Dodge Ram Mini Van. I wondered where it went!

wrote:

Wow!

Does anyone have idea what might be the cause of the parallel
groves running predominanly from the upper left to the lower
right of the image? That seems strange...

- Alex

My guess would be rock strata. More than likely the moon
was created when a much larger body was struck by a very large
meteorite or small asteroid. Basically a chunk was ejected
more or less in tact.

So, the streaks indicate multiple lava flows, accretion layers,
or deposited by ancient seas, though this last possibility is
the least likely.

Cheers,
Larry G.

I think I see a fossil, or an engine block or a pyramid or something.
Uncle Bob

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old November 12th 04, 09:45 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Larry G wrote:
[ ... ]

My guess would be rock strata. More than likely the moon
was created when a much larger body was struck by a very large
meteorite or small asteroid. Basically a chunk was ejected
more or less in tact.

So, the streaks indicate multiple lava flows, accretion layers,
or deposited by ancient seas, though this last possibility is
the least likely.

Rock strata? Maybe, although I have some reservations...

This is a pretty big piece of rock. It is hard to imagine that
something so big can be blasted to space intact, from a body
massive enough to allow for such extensive stratification...

Another thing that makes me doubt it this: On the same page
(http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...1TVJD1E_0.html)
there is another image with a number of views of Phobos.
If you click on "Full Size", two of the views labeled
"Orbit 748" and "Orbit 715" show sets of groves crossing each
other at 90-degrees.

Some of the streaks looks like lava tube collapse pits, some
like oblique impact craters; but those are just a few - the
others don't look like anything I've seen...

- Alex