First telescope purchase - SkyQuest XT8?

Old August 27th 07, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Craig

Default First telescope purchase - SkyQuest XT8?

Where in So. Cal are you? In addtion to the Riverside group, there is
an L.A. Amateur group, one in San Diego, one out of OPT in Oceanside
and one in Orange County. I think ventura county has a group as well.

I know the OCA has quite a few oppurtunities for you to take a look
through their scopes.

Craig

Zyp wrote:

Dennis Woos wrote:
Currently I have an older MEAD 4501 [114mm] with a small
collection of eye piecies.

I've been looking closely at 8" Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain
CPC800 XLT. Should I wait and save more $$ for the CPC925XLT.

I've also been looking at used telescopes as well, and wonder
what's the down side to buying an older telescope?

Before you buy any scope, you should attend some of your local
club's events and observe with and through examples of the various
sizes and designs. Some folks love SCTs, others dobs, others
high-end refractors, others big binos, etc. Some folks are willing
to haul out a big scope, and for others a small scope gets them out
much more often. Only you can decide what is best for you, and
fortunately there are astro clubs all over the place with members
who are more than happy to let you try out their setups.
Dennis

I understand Dennis and thanks. But these clubs [in my area anyway]
seem to be elusive. I am in Southern California, and Riverside has a
club and I've heard that there's a lot of interest in an area called
Mount Pinos. Still elusive.

Old August 27th 07, 08:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Zyp

--

That's great Craig;

OCA? Is that Orange County Astronomer's? Do they have a website?

--
Zyp

Old August 27th 07, 09:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Craig

Zyp wrote:

Craig wrote:
Where in So. Cal are you? In addtion to the Riverside group, there
is an L.A. Amateur group, one in San Diego, one out of OPT in
Oceanside and one in Orange County. I think ventura county has a
group as well.

I know the OCA has quite a few oppurtunities for you to take a look
through their scopes.

Craig

SNIP
That's great Craig;

OCA? Is that Orange County Astronomer's? Do they have a website?

Yes it is. The web site is www.OCAstronomers.org We have two eclipse
viewings going on tonight. Contact me off group for information on them.

etx_astro_boy at sbcglobal dot net

Craig

Old August 29th 07, 04:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
ko57

Chambers,
I'd get the XT8 intelliscope, or at least the XT6 intelliscope. I
have the XT8 classic, it had gone on sale-$299 at the time, couldn't
pass it up-but there are times I wish I had the Intelliscope &
locator. While the 25 & 10 Sirius plossls supplied are pretty good,
they supposedly have very good light throughput. They aren't high end
eps, but you'll see some great sites with these.

I first bought the XT4.5 f/8 dob, at 4.5" of aperture, it has sharp &
contrasty views. I bought Orion's variable polarizer and the Shorty
Plus 2x barlow. My first views of Jupiter with the XT4.5-I used that
barlow & the 10 Sirius plossl-blew me away, clearly saw banding on the
globe, and the views of Saturn with the 10 Sirius & barlow were and
are great. When the seeing is good-clear nights, not much turbulence-
you will know it.

The variable polarizer will help with the full moon, Jupiter, &
perhaps Venus when they are bright. You can separate the filters
(they screw onto each other so you can vari the amount of light coming
in) and use just one piece on an eyepiece. If you want to do lunar
viewing, this filter will keep your eye from getting "blinded" by the
moonlight.

Whatever telescope you get, Orion has some great products that won't
break the bank (well not too bad...). I still have my Sirius plossls.
With the XT6 Intelliscope, I like the f/8 focal length-planets should
be sharp, contrasty, nice detail, and you'd still have the 1200mm
reach of the XT8. Less aperture, a little lighter to grab and take
out.

I don't take out my XT8 that much lately. It's not that heavy, just
big, it is a 2 step operation for me, then get the ep's and stool. I
weigh 110lbs, I can move it in one peice once I'm outside if I need
to. Mosquitos are the enemy, and tonight, cloudy skies are (I just
got an Orion Ultrablock and Lumicon DeepSky filters in the mail
today...). If I plan on observing with the XT8, I'd have to fog the
yard an hour or so before, keep the 'skeeters at bay. Nothing like
bringing out a larger scope only to have to go in because of these
pests.

Let us know what you've decided when you get your scope.
Clear skies,
Kerry Elizabeth
s.e. Louisiana

Building a Telescope Or Purchase Daniel J Deyette Amateur Astronomy 6 March 22nd 05 02:27 AM
SKYQUEST XT4.5 TELESCOPE Mark Amateur Astronomy 4 December 13th 03 11:58 AM
Telescope Purchase (me again) Larry UK Astronomy 8 September 1st 03 04:54 PM
Purchase telescope J Amateur Astronomy 6 August 27th 03 01:38 PM
advice for telescope purchase username Amateur Astronomy 3 August 8th 03 04:36 AM