Salt on Venus

Old June 1st 10, 06:53 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default No recent resurfacing, Salt on Venus

On 5/31/10 11:54 AM, John Curtis wrote:
During Late Heavy Bombardment oceans served to
cushion the impactors from cratering the ocean floor.

Got an evidence for you assertion, John? Please cite!

Old June 2nd 10, 01:56 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On 02/06/2010 00:58, Brad Guth wrote:
On May 31, 8:48 pm, Andrew wrote:
John Curtis wrote:
During Late Heavy Bombardment oceans served to
cushion the impactors from cratering the ocean floor.
Thus, "recent resurfacing" is not necessary to explain
the craterless surface of Venus;

The surface of Venus is much younger than that (the oldest age I've
seen is max. 1200 Myr). Oceans do not cushions sufficiently large
impactors, either.

evaporation of oceans
will do. Examples are the lack of craters on the floors
of Earth's oceans,

This is mostly because Earth's ocean floor is very young (even younger
than Venus's s7urface.).

Andrew Usher

Correct, and especially the Arctic ocean basin may be only 12,600 some
odd years old.

There's very little other than large meteors or small asteroids of
nearly solid nickle-iron that made any dent in that surface of Venus,
primarily because it's newish atmosphere was simply too thick and
dense.

How do we objectively know that Venus is any older than the Sirius
star system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius
Stars 25x the luminosity of Sol do not last long

--
Dirk

Old June 2nd 10, 03:32 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 31, 8:48 pm, Andrew *wrote:
John Curtis wrote:
[...]

http://www.transcendence.me.uk/- Transcendence UKhttp://www.blogtalkradio..com/onetribe- Occult Talk Show

Correct, except Sirius(B) at 9 solar masses was likely 50100 times
the luminosity of Sol. Some suggest that Sirius is only 250 million
years old, and others have suggested 600 million years. Either way,
Sirius is a very newish star/solar system.

~ BG
Old June 2nd 10, 03:54 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
John Curtis

On Jun 1, 10:53*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 5/31/10 11:54 AM, John Curtis wrote:

During Late Heavy Bombardment oceans served to
cushion the impactors from cratering the ocean floor.

Got an evidence for you assertion, John? Please cite!

Newton's approximation of impact depth, which
reduces the number of craters by preventing smaller
impactors from striking the ocean floor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_depth
John Curtis

Old June 2nd 10, 06:31 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jun 1, 7:54*pm, John Curtis wrote:
On Jun 1, 10:53*am, Sam Wormley wrote: On 5/31/10 11:54 AM, John Curtis wrote:

During Late Heavy Bombardment oceans served to
cushion the impactors from cratering the ocean floor.

* Got an evidence for you assertion, John? Please cite!

Newton's approximation of impact depth, which
reduces the number of craters by preventing smaller
impactors from striking the ocean floor.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_depth
John Curtis

"Impact Earth Impact Effects Program" also doesn't allow for a thicker
and more dense atmosphere, nor ice upon ice encounters.

~ BG
Old June 2nd 10, 12:03 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
YKhan

Default Salt on Venus

On May 31, 6:44*pm, Andrew Usher wrote:
YKhan wrote:
Holy-free-holy! The boiling point of seawater is 2500°C¿!? I realized
that salt would raise the boiling point of the water, but I was
thinking along the lines of going from 100°C to maybe 110°C or at the
outermost 150°C, but I never imagined 2500°C!

boiling point seawater - Wolfram|Alpha
"temperature | elements | boiling point: 2500 deg C (degrees Celsius)
"
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...point+seawater

Obviously this is not accurate - the boiling point of seawater is
about 101 C, when that of pure water is 100. A saturated solution of
NaCl boils at 109 C at 1 atm, so that boiling seawater will rise to
about this temperature when nearly dry. Other salts can of course
raise it higher, or even produce a continuous solubility curve at 1
atm (sodium and potassium hydroxides, ammonium nitrate, most organic
salts), thus giving no boiling point of a saturated solution. I was
referring, though, to behavior at the critical point, and not 1 atm.

So what in the world is Wolfram Alpha displaying? They won't even give
you an answer on something unless they have some data about it.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 4th 10, 01:08 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Andrew Usher

YKhan wrote:

So what in the world is Wolfram Alpha displaying? They won't even give
you an answer on something unless they have some data about it.

I don't know, but you should know not to trust a value like that.
Unfortunately, no chemical reference is free of gross errors, as far
as I know.

Andrew Usher
Old June 4th 10, 01:13 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Andrew Usher

Default When does Al's ignorance become stupidity? (was Salt onVenus)

Uncle Al wrote:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...salt+solutions

Perhaps you should read your references before using them as a straw
man's armature.

Hey stooopid do - do you know what thermodynamic critical constants
are? No, you do not.

Of course I do.

For water,

Tc = 374 C
Pc = 22 MPa, 220 bar

Venus' surface temperature = 460 C
Venus' surface pressure = 93 bar

All the salt on Venus would not make a sparrow's fart of difference.

Right, but for the wrong reason. You don't know (without looking it
up) that no salt solution would be liquid at that temperature and
pressure - in fact some would, but none of the salts likely to occur
naturally.

The temp is too high and the pressure is too low for colligative
properties to have any effect on outcome.

Of course, I wasn't speaking of Venus _today_ but of Venus when it
still had water vapor and perhaps a 500 bar H2O atmosphere. Then, it
would have had salty oceans.

Andrew Usher
Old June 4th 10, 03:15 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Uncle Al

Andrew Usher wrote:

Uncle Al wrote:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...salt+solutions

Perhaps you should read your references before using them as a straw
man's armature.

Hey stooopid do - do you know what thermodynamic critical constants
are? No, you do not.

Of course I do.

For water,

Tc = 374 C
Pc = 22 MPa, 220 bar

Venus' surface temperature = 460 C
Venus' surface pressure = 93 bar

All the salt on Venus would not make a sparrow's fart of difference.

Right, but for the wrong reason.

[snip crap]

idiot

--