Horizon_hills_color-A11R1.jpg download problem

Old January 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Lynndel Humphreys

Default Horizon_hills_color-A11R1.jpg download problem

Having problems downloading
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...Horizon_hills_
color-A11R1.jpg

Shows it downloads but just blank white browser screen. Anyone else?

Old January 15th 04, 11:40 PM
Peter Harding

In article , says...
Having problems downloading
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...Horizon_hills_
color-A11R1.jpg

Shows it downloads but just blank white browser screen. Anyone else?

That's a mighty pic. At 11174 x 1388 and full colour your browser will
need to monopolize around 45 meg of memory (in addition to the usual
bloat factor anyway) to deal with it. That's probably your problem.

It's a *fantastic* pic - you can almost stick your foot out and kick the
rocks. Go find someone with a bigger machine - and a humungous screen.
Worth the walk. Alternatively it might be worth downloading it to disk
and trying other viewing programs which are more careful with their
memory allocation.

--
ICQ 40628243 Tel 07092057581 Fax 07092308800
Old January 16th 04, 11:46 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.tech Peter Harding wrote:
In article , says...
Having problems downloading
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...Horizon_hills_
color-A11R1.jpg

Shows it downloads but just blank white browser screen. Anyone else?

That's a mighty pic. At 11174 x 1388 and full colour your browser will
need to monopolize around 45 meg of memory (in addition to the usual
bloat factor anyway) to deal with it. That's probably your problem.

It's a *fantastic* pic - you can almost stick your foot out and kick the
rocks. Go find someone with a bigger machine - and a humungous screen.

Or a poster.
At 100dpi, that's 111*14", or a circular hoop big enough to stick your
head in.
Old January 17th 04, 02:26 AM
Jon Watts

In sci.space.tech Lynndel Humphreys wrote:
Having problems downloading
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...Horizon_hills_
color-A11R1.jpg

Shows it downloads but just blank white browser screen. Anyone else?

It crashes my netscape. I had navigate down to the page it is linked
from (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...20040113a.html),
and then use the popup menu and select "Save link target as", then
view it with another tool. It is a 11174x1388 image (That's not a
typo, eleven thousand, one hundred and seventy-four). This is a bit
more than Netscape can grok. There are reduced versions of the same
image there also, though I find it rather interesting to be able to
zoom in to a very fine detail on interesting areas. I don't understand
the slugs comment though.

On the subject of zooming in I zoomed in on a region around 9630 to
9850 (pixel numbers counting left to right) and around 900 to 970
(counting top to bottom), what do any of you make of the curving lines
in this area?

Jon Watts