Mars in Stereo Viewmaster

Old January 15th 04, 02:15 PM
Jon Berndt

Default Mars in Stereo Viewmaster

I see there's a new stereo anaglyph at the MER web site. Wouldn't it be
nice if they were able to publish the stereo images on a Viewmaster (tm)
reel and release them to schools very quickly? Does anyone still make
Viewmaster reels? I think they do.

Jon

Old January 16th 04, 01:03 AM
MSu1049321

A google search will show that the viewmasrer company will custom make most any
slides you want, but it takes a long time and costs are prohibitive. You can
also shoot them wioth special purpose-built cameras and slide building jigs,
but these are antique and rare. What I imagine could be done by anybody with a
little skill and some patience is to download the pics in left-eye and right
-eye versions and arrange them in a template in Photoshop so the printout (on
clear acetate) would fit the wheel pattern of a viewmaster reel. I myself
looked into this some time ago when looking for a cheap and novel way to show
demos of my 3-d Lightwave animation models and the like. But I was not able to
find anyone who had gone to the trouble of perfecting the templates for "do it
yourself" viewmaster format printouts. Any graphic artist with skill in
pagemaker or the like could probably figure it out for you, though.

Old January 16th 04, 04:34 AM
Kevin Willoughby

In article , -pc-
dot.org.retro.com says...
Does anyone still make Viewmaster reels?

Yes. These days View Master is owned by Fisher-Price. See, e.g.,
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/view-master/product.asp?
cat=viewers&image=nav_viewers-over&id=314
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins
Old January 18th 04, 08:38 AM

This place had some anaglyph slides for Mars but no Viewmaster. See the
bottom of the page:
http://www.berezin.com/3d/mars.htm

They did have View-Master reels of the solar system.
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3DPlanets.htm

And 3d glasses:
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm

Reggie