FAQ-2-B: sci.space.tech reading list

Old January 16th 04, 11:06 PM
dave schneider

Default FAQ-2-B: sci.space.tech reading list

Okay, here's the first update, based on part of the feedback (don't
worry, I'm not ignoring HGH's comments, etc).

Reading lists and recommended references are a recurrent theme in
sci.space.* This occurs so often that it seems like there is a FAQ
missing here.

This prototype for a FAQ is being offered by a non-expert (pure
wannabe, as I haven't even made it through my Baker and Makemson), but
it's based on recommendations made in various sci.space.* threads.

This list includes a couple of "space history" books because they have
useful overviews, but focuses mainly on technical references and
theory works. (Jenkins, *Space Shuttle*, kinda falls into both
groups, I gather). This is the reading list for those who are going
to design the X-Prize OSP-replacement. Er, that is, those who want to
know numbers, check models, and do BOTE calculations for any kind of
spaceflight, manned, robotic, reentering or interstellar. I've also
included Tuftes so that you can communicate usefully about your
findings and results.

Most of the "space history" books should be, I think, in a seperate
FAQ, and I may get around to drafting that one of these days. But why
wait for that when you can chew this rag?

Because various local experts have various favorites (and decry
certain other selections), I thought it would be useful to include
information on who recommended the book, or who suggests *not* using
it -- thus the Votes For and Votes Against portion of the entries.

This is a early second draft. I am willing to do a couple more
drafts, but
in the long term a suitable steward should named Keeper of the FAQ,
and really make this useful, and it should probably go out when the
moderator's FAQ goes out. The format used here is a temporary one; it
should be done in html-compatible citation format, but that's a later
step.

Note that I've left out most publication data for now. I have access
to some of that information already (I saved the list from one of the
schools that was posted a bit ago), but I won't spit in your face if
you send me reminders about that. And there are some references so
familiar that no one bothers to post the whole identification, and
I've missed some of those because I haven't sipped from that cup yet.

Note: "name-hearsay" in a vote means that "name" knows of the source,
but has not reviewed it directly.
A: NASA
T: Introduction to the Aerodynamics of Flight, NASA SP-367
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: shafer, berndt
Votes Against:
A: Murray and Cox
T:
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: kevinw
Votes Against: om
A: Wiesel
T:
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: JRF
Votes Against:
A: Bate, Mueller, and White
T:
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: JRF
Votes Against: spencer
A: Prussing and Conway
T:
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: JRF-hearsay, spencer
Votes Against:
A: Eckart
T: Lunar Base Handbook
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: Cate
Votes Against:
A: Larson and Pranke
T: Human Spaceflight - mission analysis and design
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: Cate
Votes Against:
A: US Air Force
T: Space Planners Guide
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: Cate
Votes Against:
A: Ogata
T: SYSTEM DYNAMICS
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: sstezel
Votes Against:
A: Ogata
T: MODERN CONTROL ENGINEERING
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: sstezel
Votes Against:
A: Anderson
T: Modern Compressible Flow
P: [publication data TBD] (0072424435)
Votes For:
Votes Against:
A: Anderson
T: Hypersonic and High Temperature Gas Dynamics
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: Higgins
Votes Against:
A: Ely
T: Return from Space
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:
A: Loh
T: Re-entry and Planetary Entry Physics and Technology - I,II
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: cate
Votes Against:
A: Hill & Peterson
T: Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Propulsion
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: sstezel
Votes Against:
A: Hyder et al
T: Spacecraft Power Technologies
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: chrisw
Votes Against:
A: Tajmar
T: Advanced Space Propulsion Systems
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: --
Votes Against: chrisw
A: Constantine & Cain
T: Hydrogen Peroxide Handbook
P: [publication data TBD] (R-6931, AD819081)
Votes For: lowther
Votes Against:
A: Parker
T: Materials for missiles and spacecraft
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:
A: Van Dyke
T: An Album of Fluid Motion
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: shafer, kaszeta, shoppa, higgins
Votes Against:
A: Pope
T: Aerodynamics of Supersonic Flow, 2nd ed (1958)
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:
A: Ashkenas, McRuer, and Graham
T: Flight Control Systems
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: shafer
Votes Against:
A: Vallado
T: Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications 2nd ed
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:
A: Szebehely (2nd ed w/Mark)
T: Adventures In Celestial Mechanics ISBN 0-292-75105-2
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: ingram, winter
Votes Against:
A: Baker & Makemson
T: An Introduction to Astrodynamics
P: [publication data TBD] (USAF, approx 1961)
Votes For:
Votes Against:
A: Wertz
T: Spacecraft Attitude Determination and Control
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer-hearsay
Votes Against:
A: Misner, Thorne, Wheeler
T: GRAVITATION
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: mook
Votes Against: spencer, cate
N: spencer this is not really a space-technology book.
A few ultra-precise applications, like long-term high-precision modeling
of interplanetary trajectories and asteroid orbits, have to consider
relativistic effects. But for most practical purposes, Newtonian gravity
is just fine.

A: ---
T: The Standard Handbook for Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineers
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: cate
Votes Against:
A: Jenkins and Landis
T: Hypersonic
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer, shafer
Votes Against:
A: Jenkins
T: Space Shuttle
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: who doesn't?
Votes Against:
N: Combination technical reference and program history
A: Cooper
T: Before Lift-Off
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:
A: Schmitt
T: US Manned Spaceflight in the 20th Century
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: cfink, berndt
Votes Against:
A: Tufte
T: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: kevinw, shafer
Votes Against:
A: Tufte
T: Envisioning Information
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: shafer, kevinw
Votes Against:
A: Tufte
T: Visual Explanations
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: shafer, kevinw
Votes Against:
A: Huzel and Huang
T: Modern Engineering for Design of Liquid-Propellant Rocket Engines
P: Fourth printing, 1992, AIAA
Votes For: iain
Votes Against:
A: Clark
T: Ignition!
P: [publication data TBD]
Votes For: spencer
Votes Against:

Rev: 20040116
Old January 20th 04, 04:06 AM
dave schneider

(Jon Leech) wrote:
[...]
and Wald's text is somewhat more common.

Can you give me a more complete reference? Thanks.

/dps
Old January 20th 04, 11:42 PM
Jon Leech

In article ,
dave schneider wrote:
(Jon Leech) wrote:
[...]
and Wald's text is somewhat more common.

Can you give me a more complete reference? Thanks.

Robert M. Wald, _General Relativity_. Just go to Amazon or B&N and
plonk that in the search box.
Jon
__@