FAQ-2-B: sci.space.tech reading list

Old December 10th 03, 07:42 PM
Vincent Cate

Default FAQ-2-B: sci.space.tech reading list

Some that I particularly like:

A: Eckart
T: Lunar Base Handbook
Votes For: Cate

A: Larson and Pranke
T: Human Spaceflight - mission analysis and design
Votes For: Cate

A: US Air Force
T: Space Planners Guide
Votes For: Cate

I also think keeping such a FAQ is a good idea. And I like
that you keep track of who votes for or against.

-- Vince
Old December 12th 03, 09:00 PM
Kaido Kert

(dave schneider) wrote in message . com...
(George William Herbert) wrote:
You may have missed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...d4c00ab&rnum=2

Basically, that was a challenge I put out about 2 years ago
for people to do a 10-book general reading list to cover
the whole field. I think that 10 books is too little in
the final analysis but it was an interesting exercise.

Yeah, I was mainly going from stuff in the last 3 months, but certain
books tend to pop up rather frequently.

just a thought, but wouldnt it be easier to pull this off straight
with Amazon listmania feature and link it here ?

-kert

Old December 20th 03, 12:14 AM
Vincent Cate

A: Misner, Thorne, Wheeler
T: GRAVITATION
P: 1973
Votes For: mook
Votes Against: cate

The last numbered page is 1,279. A bit more than "decreases with 1/R^2".

If gravity is really this difficult, I don't see how a single
atom flying through outer-space can handle the math needed to figure
out where it should go next. The actual forces for all the different
things I have in my simulator are really simple. This is nothing
like any of those. If you are into general relativity, go ahead
and get this book, but for normal sci.space.tech topics, I rank this
book near the bottom.

Anyway, please add "cate" to "Vote Against".

-- Vince

Old December 24th 03, 02:09 AM
dave schneider

(Vincent Cate) wrote:

Some that I particularly like:

Thanks! Also saw your nay on Gravitation.

/dps
Old December 24th 03, 02:09 AM
dave schneider

Old January 12th 04, 01:42 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Vincent Cate wrote:
A: Misner, Thorne, Wheeler
T: GRAVITATION
If gravity is really this difficult, I don't see how a single
atom flying through outer-space can handle the math needed to figure
out where it should go next.

Fortunately, it doesn't have to. It just flies the straightest path it
can, and the universe looks after the bookkeeping. :-)

However, I agree with Vince: this is not really a space-technology book.
A few ultra-precise applications, like long-term high-precision modeling
of interplanetary trajectories and asteroid orbits, have to consider
relativistic effects. But for most practical purposes, Newtonian gravity
is just fine.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |