delta V from L1 to L4

Old January 13th 04, 02:56 PM
Alex Terrell

Default delta V from L1 to L4

It's often suggested that a catapult on the moon could fire material
from the surface to L1. From there it would be sorted and grouped, and
then sent off in big cargo ships to colony construction sites at L4 or
L5.

How much delta V is required for this trip? And how long would it
take? My guess is it would be more of a time problem than a delta V
problem.

Could an electromagnetic caatapult be used to redirect the loads from
L1 to L4 or L5? Bt firing to L4 and L5, the forces could be balanced
to some extent. Indeed, this could even become a form of station
keeping.
Old January 15th 04, 02:28 PM
no_one

see this article:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/200..._2002_147.html

om...

Old January 15th 04, 06:21 PM
Ian Stirling

Alex Terrell wrote:
It's often suggested that a catapult on the moon could fire material
from the surface to L1. From there it would be sorted and grouped, and
then sent off in big cargo ships to colony construction sites at L4 or
L5.

How much delta V is required for this trip? And how long would it
take? My guess is it would be more of a time problem than a delta V
problem.

It's on the order of the escape velocity.
Say 2000m/s.
Maybe 5-10% lower, I have not done the numbers.