Polar "Flip" Question

Old October 21st 05, 05:07 PM
James Hill

Default Polar "Flip" Question

Was asked today at work about the subject of the North and South magnetic
poles "flipping" and to be honest, I've not really looked into it.
So I tried... Man how I tried!

Are there any non-kooky, fact based web sites on the 'net I can forward to
my colleague that don't mention "the greys", "government conspiracy" and
other rambly ballcocks?

Many thanks,
Jim

Old October 21st 05, 05:16 PM
Jim

In article , James Hill wrote:
Was asked today at work about the subject of the North and South magnetic
poles "flipping" and to be honest, I've not really looked into it.
So I tried... Man how I tried!

Are there any non-kooky, fact based web sites on the 'net I can forward to
my colleague that don't mention "the greys", "government conspiracy" and
other rambly ballcocks?

This might be what you're after:
http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1083866.htm

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com

I hate you, Milkman Dan!
Old October 21st 05, 05:19 PM
Iordani

James Hill wrote:

Are there any non-kooky, fact based web sites on the 'net I can forward to
my colleague that don't mention "the greys", "government conspiracy" and
other rambly ballcocks?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...neticfield.htm

ballcocks... hmmmm

Old October 21st 05, 07:12 PM
Martin

"James Hill" wrote in message
Was asked today at work about the subject of the North and South magnetic
poles "flipping" and to be honest, I've not really looked into it.
So I tried... Man how I tried!

Are there any non-kooky, fact based web sites on the 'net I can forward to
my colleague that don't mention "the greys", "government conspiracy" and
other rambly ballcocks?

Many thanks,
Jim

There was an excellent programme on this subject on one of the Sky digital
channels the other week. I can't remember if it was Discovery or National
Geographic, but basically they were able to look back at the magnetic field
variances over houndreds of thousands of years ( looking at the effect on
lava flows/rocks etc) and it looks like (according to the programme) we are
approaching a "flip" and that the Earth's magnetic field is decreasing
(something noted before previos flips), although we're talking of hundreds
of thousands of years.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the programme, if you've got access to
those channels keep scanning as it's bound to come round again.

Martin

Old October 21st 05, 08:19 PM
James Hill

"Martin" wrote in message

"James Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks chaps (Jim, Iordani and Martin). That'll do nicely. I must have waded
through 20+ pages from Google, some of which started off okay but then ended
up in trailer park paranoia land!

Now, is there any way I can delete this thread before the kooks find it?
I'll have to get in touch with my SIS and CIA contacts! ;o)

Cheers,
Jim

Old October 21st 05, 09:37 PM
Jim

James Hill wrote:

Now, is there any way I can delete this thread before the kooks find it?
I'll have to get in touch with my SIS and CIA contacts! ;o)

Sure, just walk over here...that's it, now look into this..FLASH!

Now, what thread were you talking about?

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.
Old October 22nd 05, 03:58 AM

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%2...ield_reversals

citing several good articles including

- "Magnetic Storm". PBS NOVA, 2003.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/
- The U.S. NOAA FAQ
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/faqgeom.shtml#q8

Here's the annual mean values in nanoTesla of the Earth's magnetic
field from 1914-1994 measured at the Teoloycan Magnetic Observatory in
Mexico. The H and Z refer to the magnetic field strength measured H
towards the magnetic north pole and Z - towards the zenith. The
declining trend is evident.
http://www.igeofcu.unam.mx/geomagne/...omt-anual.html

- Canopus56

Old October 22nd 05, 06:43 PM
Laurence E

Now, is there any way I can delete this thread before the kooks find it?
I'll have to get in touch with my SIS and CIA contacts! ;o)

Cheers,
Jim

Too late!

Kook # 257297236265