Mystery High Speed Test A/C

Old January 29th 04, 01:19 AM
Patrick McConnell

Default Mystery High Speed Test A/C

From Aviation Week Jan 12 2004:

"Secret Streaker?

On the morning of Jan. 7, an aircraft using call sign "Lockheed Test 2334"
told the FAA's Albuquerque Center it would be "going supersonic somewhere
above Flight Level 60 [60,000 ft.]" for about 10 sec. It was flying over the
Pecos Military Operating Area in eastern New Mexico at the time,
transmitting on 350.350 MHz. When a center controller queried, "Say aircraft
type," the unidentified vehicle's pilot responded: "We are a classified type
and can't reveal our true altitude." About 15 min. later, the same pilot--on
a different frequency (351.700 MHz.)--requesteed permission for a descent to
30,000 ft. and flight-following to "Las Vegas with final destination
somewhere in the Nellis Range" complex. The U.S.Air Force's super-secret
Groom Lake test facility is located in the northwest portion of the Nellis
AFB, Nev., ranges. The Albuquerque Center controller quipped, "Trip home a
bit slower, eh?" There was no response from the classified aircraft. The
radio interchanges were recorded by Steve Douglass, a "military radio
monitor" hobbyist in amarillo, Tex."

Patrick

Old January 29th 04, 02:55 AM
Charleston

"Patrick McConnell" wrote:

From Aviation Week Jan 12 2004:

"Secret Streaker?

requesteed permission for a descent to
30,000 ft. and flight-following to "Las Vegas with final destination
somewhere in the Nellis Range" complex. The U.S.Air Force's super-secret
Groom Lake test facility is located in the northwest portion of the Nellis
AFB, Nev., ranges. The Albuquerque Center controller quipped, "Trip home a
bit slower, eh?" There was no response from the classified aircraft. The
radio interchanges were recorded by Steve Douglass, a "military radio
monitor" hobbyist in amarillo, Tex."

Patrick

30,000 feet, huh? I'll keep my binos with me at all times.

--

Daniel
http://www.challengerdisaster.info

Old January 29th 04, 11:57 AM
Keith Soltys

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:19:24 -0500, "Patrick McConnell" wrote:

From Aviation Week Jan 12 2004:

[...]

So how far in 15 minutes?

Keith

Keith Soltys -- -- http://www.soltys.ca/
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest
of places if you look at it right - Grateful Dead/Scarlet Begonias
Old January 29th 04, 05:34 PM
Allen Thomson

Keith Soltys wrote

So how far in 15 minutes?

Melrose NM to Las Vegas, NV is a little over 1,000 km. Of course,
we don't know just where the putative aircraft was in relation
to those, so that's a pretty approximate answer.