ASTRO: Rosette nebula

Old November 27th 17, 11:16 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: Rosette nebula

I bought a small 60mm f/5.5 ED refractor a while ago, coupled with a 0.79 reducer it has a focal length of 260mm. This allows me to image those popular large nebulae that always have been too big for me.
Weather has been bad recently, but two nights had enough holes in the clouds to gather some data for the nebula surrounding NGC 2244, the Rosette nebula.

I did RGB, Ha and OIII and combined an RGB image with a Ha:OIII:OIII image to get halfway natural colours.

Taken from Berlin with a TS 60/330mm ED at f/4.3, AZ-EQ6 mount, ASI1600MM camera, 18x2min each for RGB, 27x5min Ha, 16x5min OIII.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2244colourgut.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	6757
__________________
Stefan
Old November 28th 17, 08:17 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Narrowband makes this one good even from within the light dome of Berlin.

At least you had scopes of less focal length than my 3650 to 3680 (longer in cold weather). I'd need a minimum of 16 frames to capture this one. I once did a Ha of a small part of it but haven't returned to it. I keep saying I need to get something short. I've now twice had a chance to buy an FSQ but so far budget said nope!

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post

Old November 28th 17, 09:42 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

the FSQ is a bit on the steep side especially when considering the dollar per inch of aperture ratio. That said there aren't too many scopes that can handle a CCD chip as large as yours. And the weight of camera and filter wheel would tax most focusers of cheaper telescopes.

Somehow I can't really imagine you doing wide field stuff, but if you wanted to something like an 80/480mm FPL53 triplet
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...en-Auszug.html
plus a TS 2.5 inch flattener
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...otografie.html
would be a cheap alternative to an FSQ, even if you had to crop away some stars on the borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post