ASTRO: NGC 2071

Old February 4th 12, 09:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 2071

NGC 2071 is a reflection nebula just north of the far more famous M78
some 1300 to 1600 light-years away in Orion.

The nebula houses many protoplanetary disks. One is the smallest known.
It is seen by radio not optical telescopes like mine.
http://www.nrao.edu/pr/1998/essdisk/
Information on other young stellar objects can be found at this paper:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...111.5469v1.pdf

While NGC 2071 appears to be part of the same molecular cloud as M78 I'm
finding most papers on NGC 2071 saying its distance is 1300 light-years
while M78 papers put it at 1600 light-years. It could be due to the
measurement to 2071 dating to 1982.

I wanted more data on this one but after two months of lousy skies in
this part of the sky I gave up. This year isn't looking any better for
this part of the sky.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2071L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	3935  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2071L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	3936