Orion LaserMate Collimator- Recommendations

Old March 6th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JimC

Default Orion LaserMate Collimator- Recommendations

Orion is advertising a new Laser Collimator in which the tube includes a
rear port with a target screen showing both emitted and reflected beams,
permitting adjustments of the primary from the rear of the scope.
(Apparently, this is a further refinement of a previous model, since
they have advertised them in the past.) Has anyone used such a
collimator, and if so, were you pleased with the results? If I'm correct
that this is a refinement of an earlier model, what's different about
the new model?

I have one of the laser collimators that projects a pattern showing the
shadow of the secondary, but it's inconvenient to use when there are no
surfaces on which the pattern can be easily projected. I also use a
Cheshire during the day.

Perhaps someone can recommend another collimating tool. - I would be
interested in trying the Barlow collimator arrangement discussed in S&T
several years ago, but the Orion LaserMate seems convenient and fairly
inexpensive.

Jim
Old March 7th 07, 01:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starboard

Orion is advertising a new Laser Collimator in which the tube includes a
rear port with a target screen showing both emitted and reflected beams,
permitting adjustments of the primary from the rear of the scope.
Has anyone used such a collimator, and if so, were you pleased with the
results?

I have one. I think that the idea behind the design is sound; that of
a screen tilted at a 45. But IMO, the manufacturing tolerances are not
tight enough. The main problem I have with mine is how loose it fits
in the focuser. It simply doesn't fit tight enough. I tried evenly
wrapping a layer of vinyl tape (not overlapping) around the part of
the LC that goes into the focuser, but it only helped a little. Two
layers was too think. I think if it fit tight, it would be nice to
have.

Having said that, I hear that Howie Glass makes a very good LC. From
reading his website, I'm inclined to believe it. But you're going to
have to cough up more cheddar.

If I'm correct that this is a refinement of an earlier model, what's different
about the new model?

Don't know. This is the first deluxe model that I've owned. I've owned
two of Orion's standard LC's and they were both crappola. Laser beams
were no where near collimated.

Perhaps someone can recommend another collimating tool.

I bought and am extremely satisfied with my Tectron Tools. I bought
the complete kit containing the sight-tube, Cheshire, and auto-
collimator. And for those who may be momentarily misled by the name of
the third tool stated, it does not collimate the scope for you. But it
is very handy. IMO, a little difficult to use, but worth the effort to
learn. I've also heard that Cat tools are very good.

I would be interested in trying the Barlow collimator arrangement discussed in
S&T several years ago, but the Orion LaserMate seems convenient and fairly
inexpensive.
Jim

The barlow method is good. I've used it but have come to rely on my
tools more.

Errol
www.pasnola.org

Old March 7th 07, 03:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben

snip
The barlow method is good. I've used it but have come to rely on my
tools more.

Errolwww.pasnola.org

Jim,

I've been using a Tectron autocollimator for several
years and I'm convinced there's no way a laser collimator
can beat it. There's no better device for fine tuning after
you've roughed it out with a Cheshire and Tectron's
tools are accurate and well made.

There's a little booklet by Vic Menard and Tippy D'Auria
called *New Perspectives on Newtonian Collimation*
available from SKY Publishing which is worth obtaining.
It requires some study but it takes you through all the
fine points you need.

Ben, 90.126 n 35.539

Orion Lasermate question Richard Amirault Amateur Astronomy 0 December 2nd 06 04:55 PM
Collimator Carlos Saraiva Amateur Astronomy 6 May 3rd 04 04:57 PM
Laser Collimator Eric Misc 0 May 1st 04 07:26 PM
Motorized collimator Fr Chas Amateur Astronomy 6 November 14th 03 12:10 PM
Best laser collimator Jim Cate Amateur Astronomy 3 July 11th 03 08:32 PM