Totality Exposed

Old March 4th 07, 01:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Totality Exposed

Dear Friends,

The Greek gods expressed their anger this weekend in the most
categorical way and adversely affected the first lunar total eclipse in
three years and the first of two such eclipses during 2007 with a
plethora of clouds (thin and thick depending on their mood during the
course of the eclipse).

For an image taken during totality and which includes 56 Leonis to the
bottom right of the moon, I kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2007-03-03.htm .

Europe has been hammered this winter and particularly this weekend where
bad weather was common throughout the continent.

Best wishes from (cloudy) Greece!

Anthony.

PS. I have over 100 images to examine and will send a follow-up email if
I have something of greater interest.
Old March 4th 07, 02:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Ben

On Mar 3, 7:50 pm, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:
Dear Friends,

The Greek gods expressed their anger this weekend in the most
categorical way and adversely affected the first lunar total eclipse in
three years and the first of two such eclipses during 2007 with a
plethora of clouds (thin and thick depending on their mood during the
course of the eclipse).

For an image taken during totality and which includes 56 Leonis to the
bottom right of the moon, I kindly direct you tohttp://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2007-03-03.htm.

Europe has been hammered this winter and particularly this weekend where
bad weather was common throughout the continent.

Best wishes from (cloudy) Greece!

Anthony.

PS. I have over 100 images to examine and will send a follow-up email if
I have something of greater interest.

Anthony,

Pray to Echo while the wind is blowing. (??)

Pythagoras (of
Croton)

Your image is still splendid.

Ben

Old March 4th 07, 09:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

The Greek gods expressed their anger this weekend in the most
categorical way and adversely affected the first lunar total eclipse in
three years and the first of two such eclipses during 2007 with a
plethora of clouds (thin and thick depending on their mood during the
course of the eclipse).

For an image taken during totality and which includes 56 Leonis to the
bottom right of the moon, I kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2007-03-03.htm .

Europe has been hammered this winter and particularly this weekend where
bad weather was common throughout the continent.

Best wishes from (cloudy) Greece!

Anthony.

PS. I have over 100 images to examine and will send a follow-up email if
I have something of greater interest.

As usual, a wonderful image, Anthony!

The Nordic gods were benign during this eclipse and gave us clear
weather over most of Sweden. As seen from Stockholm, the initial
partial phase and almost all of the totality could be seen against a
clear sky, but towards the very end of totality and during the final
partial phase, the Moon went in and out of altocumulus clouds.

This was a fairly bright eclipse. I estimated it as L=2.5 on the
Danjon scale, and the Moon's magnitude at mid-totality as -2, using
Regulus and Saturn as a comparison.

Am I the only one doing brightness estimates of the totally eclipsed
moon btw?

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old March 4th 07, 09:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Pat

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
Dear Friends,

The Greek gods expressed their anger this weekend in the most categorical
way and adversely affected the first lunar total eclipse in three years
and the first of two such eclipses during 2007 with a plethora of clouds
(thin and thick depending on their mood during the course of the eclipse).

For an image taken during totality and which includes 56 Leonis to the
bottom right of the moon, I kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2007-03-03.htm .

Europe has been hammered this winter and particularly this weekend where
bad weather was common throughout the continent.

Best wishes from (cloudy) Greece!

Anthony.

PS. I have over 100 images to examine and will send a follow-up email if I
have something of greater interest.

Anthony,
Amazingly, something went wrong with the ECCE.(English Cloud Cover Engine).
The sky over London was brilliantly clear! Only briefly disturbed by the
well-spread remains
of a con-trail drifting past the near-total eclipse, having almost no effect
the event. I had great fun trying to keep condensation at bay!

Pat

-----------------
-----------------
Old March 4th 07, 12:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Pat wrote:
[...]

Hi Pat,

Amazingly, something went wrong with the ECCE.(English Cloud Cover Engine).

I don't suppose your redirected the engine towards the southeast
Mediterranean? :-)

The sky over London was brilliantly clear! Only briefly disturbed by the
well-spread remains

A friend who is studying at Cambridge mentioned that the local skies
were exceptional.

of a con-trail drifting past the near-total eclipse, having almost no effect
the event. I had great fun trying to keep condensation at bay!

I had the Kendrick dew system setup but it was of no use ... it is the
clouds that did me in. Does Baader have a cloud filter? LOL!

Anthony.

Pat

-----------------
-----------------

Old March 4th 07, 12:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anders Eklöf

Paul Schlyter wrote:

In article ,
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

[...]

I concur with that. To me (30 km outside Stockholm) it was visible even
through the clouds in 20*80 binos, but not all the time by naked eye.
Seeing was great - I had a very nice view of Saturn last night.

BTW Paul, is the occultation of 56 Leo worth reporting ?
Visual, with an accuracy of 1-2 seconds. It was gone for 21m30s.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Old March 4th 07, 01:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36

On Mar 4, 1:50 am, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:
Dear Friends,

The Greek gods expressed their anger this weekend in the most
categorical way and adversely affected the first lunar total eclipse in
three years and the first of two such eclipses during 2007 with a
plethora of clouds (thin and thick depending on their mood during the
course of the eclipse).

For an image taken during totality and which includes 56 Leonis to the
bottom right of the moon, I kindly direct you tohttp://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2007-03-03.htm.

Europe has been hammered this winter and particularly this weekend where
bad weather was common throughout the continent.

Best wishes from (cloudy) Greece!

Anthony.

PS. I have over 100 images to examine and will send a follow-up email if
I have something of greater interest.

Lovely picture,shame that your astronomical explanation of the event
is stupid.

The lunar eclipse is due to the absence of solar radiation and Not,do
you hear this Tony ,Not because the moon is hidden in the Earth's
shadow as you state.

The reason these events are astronomically important is that you infer
valuable information about the orbital motion and path of the Earth -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...easonearth.png

Most of you have no feel for these events other than an exercise in
self-congratulation be it a lunar eclipse or the event with Mercury a
number of months ago,the event has passed for you and now you await
something else prescribed by your calendrically driven 'predictions'.

Real astronomers would take as much information as possible from these
events and apply it to terrestrial sciences such as
climatology,geology and indeed all existence which is made possible
through the motions of the Earth around the central Sun.

You want the moon to be hidden in the Earth's shadow then good for
you,I would say that is about right for your kind who really have no
feel for what is occuring.

Old March 4th 07, 04:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Starboard

The lunar eclipse is due to the absence of solar radiation and Not,do
you hear this Tony ,Not because the moon is hidden in the Earth's
shadow as you state.

Thanks for posting Oriel. The laughter boost went nice with the
coffee.

If there was an absence of solar radiation, how then was Tony able to
get a picture of it?

Errol

Old March 4th 07, 04:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty

Beautiful pic, Anthony! Thanks for that... totality was pretty much
over by the time moonrise came to my part of the planet, and I'd
forgotten this was happening anyway until I saw a rising "crescent"
moon.
Thanks for posting Oriel. The laughter
boost went nice with the coffee.

True. Gerald used to make me angry with his single minded focus on the
workings of a geometrical solar system and his rudeness to others, but
he's become a joke... I have to admit I sometimes click on his asinine
posts in threads that I otherwise wouldn't read!
Marty

Old March 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Auton

oriel36 wrote:
[snip]
Lovely picture,shame that your astronomical explanation of the event
is stupid.

The lunar eclipse is due to the absence of solar radiation and Not,do
you hear this Tony ,Not because the moon is hidden in the Earth's
shadow as you state.

I knew you were baking mad, but this takes the biscuit.

I could do with a laugh. What, exactly, is causing the absence of solar
radiation hitting the moon if not the presence of the Earth between the
sun and moon blocking the light? Did the sun just switch off for a
couple of hours, to take a break from being the centre of the universe
and the only acceptable frame of reference? I mean, that's pretty heavy
responsibility for an unremarkable star drifting around a backwater of
an unremarkable spiral galaxy. I'd need a break every now and then too.

Tim