Theta Orionis: Website focus on Trapezium

Old February 19th 07, 09:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starboard

Default Theta Orionis: Website focus on Trapezium

I came across a really nice website dedicated to the trapezium while
researching the magnitudes of the e and f stars. FYI, they are mag
10.3 and 10.2 respectively. I had no problem resolving either in the
12"; don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.

Anyway, for any interested, here it is:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM

Errol
pasnola.org

Old February 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

On Feb 19, 4:58 pm, "Starboard" wrote:
I came across a really nice website dedicated to the trapezium while
researching the magnitudes of the e and f stars. FYI, they are mag
10.3 and 10.2 respectively. I had no problem resolving either in the
12"; don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.

Anyway, for any interested, here it is:http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM

Errol
pasnola.org

The high rez ESO shot of the Trapezium is impressive! Thanks for the
link!

Old February 20th 07, 12:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
starburst

Starboard wrote:
I came across a really nice website dedicated to the trapezium while
researching the magnitudes of the e and f stars. FYI, they are mag
10.3 and 10.2 respectively. I had no problem resolving either in the
12"; don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.

Anyway, for any interested, here it is:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM

Errol
pasnola.org

Interesting site, thanks. Does anyone know the separation between C and
F? With my old C8 I've seen both E and F on good nights. Given their
brightness it's surprising how infrequently I've bagged them.

Chris
Up in the great white cloudy north.
Old February 20th 07, 05:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Chris wrote:
Interesting site, thanks. Does anyone know the separation between C and
F? With my old C8 I've seen both E and F on good nights. Given their
brightness it's surprising how infrequently I've bagged them.

I'd estimate it at about 25 arcseconds.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old February 20th 07, 06:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Chris wrote:
Interesting site, thanks. Does anyone know the separation between C and
F? With my old C8 I've seen both E and F on good nights. Given their
brightness it's surprising how infrequently I've bagged them.

Sorry, bad typo: Make that about 5 arcseconds.

Old February 21st 07, 08:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 4:58 pm, "Starboard" wrote:
I had no problem resolving either in the
12"; don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.
Errol
pasnola.org

Both E and F are fairly easy in an 8 inch from the Florida Keys. Not
so easy from my home in MA.

Alvan Clark

Old February 21st 07, 09:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

"Starboard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I came across a really nice website dedicated to the trapezium while
researching the magnitudes of the e and f stars. FYI, they are mag
10.3 and 10.2 respectively. I had no problem resolving either in the
12"; don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.

Anyway, for any interested, here it is:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM

Errol
pasnola.org

Both e and f are routinely visible in my 8" f/6. It would be VERY unusual
if you couldn't see them both. And with decent seeing, both are visible in
my 94mm APO...

In all my scopes above 8", the game is to see what the LOWEST magnification
is that will reveal them both... My guess is that here, on a decent night,
an 80mm or even smaller scope, can resolve e & f fairly frequently...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

Old February 21st 07, 11:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starboard

don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.
Errol

Both e and f are routinely visible in my 8" f/6. It would be VERY unusual
if you couldn't see them both.
Jan Owen

Well rub it in why don't you. :-)

We should have clear skies tonight. Me and the 8" scope or going for
a little ride tonight. I have a spot that I found about 30 miles west
of the New Orleans city limits (westbank) where skies are not terribly
polluted. I'll try again from my house and again when I get there for
comparisons sake.

Errol

DLR in C5 prime focus: cannot get fully in-focus images RePete Amateur Astronomy 5 October 30th 06 11:01 AM
trapezium [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 10 January 14th 06 07:56 PM
trapezium Tom Amateur Astronomy 2 July 14th 05 05:18 PM
Comet NEAT occults Theta Cancri Maurice Gavin Amateur Astronomy 3 May 20th 04 06:31 AM
Comet NEAT occults theta Cancri Maurice Gavin UK Astronomy 1 May 15th 04 11:48 AM