First telescope purchase - SkyQuest XT8?

Old August 22nd 07, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default First telescope purchase - SkyQuest XT8?

I am about to buy my first telescope and I'm leaning toward the
SkyQuest XT8 by Orion.
They have 3 models:
Classic with Bonus Accessory Pack for $370
IntelliScope without Object Locator for $500
IntelliScope with Object Locator $620

I think I am going with the base model fro $370.

My understanding is that the 'IntelliScope without Object Locator'
model is setup so that you can add the Object Locator later, but it
really adds no value without the Object Locator. Is this correct?

I think it would be fun to find objects manually so how important is
the object locator?
Are there things that I would need a locator to find?
I am an absolute beginner and I'm not sure how easy it is to find
objects. Would I find it frustrating without the object locator?
Could I add the Object Locator (or similar device) later, even if I
get the base model?

If I decide to spend $620 on the model with an object locator would I
be better just to pass on the object locator and get the XT 10 base
model?

If I decide to stay under $500 should I drop down to the XT6 with
IntelliScope and object locator.

I'm not really sure if I will be looking at close objects like the
moon and planets or objects farther away. I'm new to this and will
experiment to see where my interest lies.

I'll mainly be doing this from my back yard which does have some light
from nearby houses. I've heard the XT10 may have problems if it is
not dark enough. I'm currently using a small spotting scope and have
not noticed any light issues.

Old August 22nd 07, 10:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester

wrote

If I decide to spend $620 on the model with an object locator would I
be better just to pass on the object locator and get the XT 10 base
model?

If I decide to stay under $500 should I drop down to the XT6 with
IntelliScope and object locator.

Since there is no substitute for aperture, and no fancy gizmo (such as an
object locator) can make up for it, I suggest spending your money on getting
the largest aperture you can afford and physically handle. And no, the 10"
doesn't have a problem in areas where it's not dark enough. Contrary, it's
an advantage to have a larger aperture even in a not-so-dark sky.

Howard

Old August 22nd 07, 10:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Jan Owen

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I concur with Howard.

The XT10 Intelliscope without the object locator might be worth thinking
about... Later, if you want it (I just ordered the Intelliscope upgrade for
my Skyview Pro equatorial mount that I've had for several years - despiet
the fact that I know my way around the sky - but for the current sale price,
I simply couldn't pass it UP!!!), you can add the object locator...

On the other hand, you could just go with the basic XT10, and if you later
decide you want the Intelliscope upgrade, you can probably buy it then, and
save the difference if you decide that's NOT what you want to do... I don't
have digital setting circles on any of my Dobsonians, but I am thinking of
adding an equatorial table to my 12" LightBridge...

I own 3.7, 5.5, 8, 10, 12, and 13.1" scopes... Keeping that in mind, my
personal opinion is that you'll thank yourself later for ordering a 10"
scope instead of an 8", UNLESS you live somewhere where the Jet Stream is
always overhead, or if you live somewhere where the seeing is always quite
poor... Then, the 8" MIGHT be a better choice...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

Old August 22nd 07, 11:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Starlord

my first dob on the old opion dob and it was awemns.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"Jan Owen" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 23rd 07, 02:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
goodnigh

I am about to buy my first telescope and I'm leaning toward the
SkyQuest XT8 by Orion.
They have 3 models:
Classic with Bonus Accessory Pack for $370
IntelliScope without Object Locator for $500
IntelliScope with Object Locator $620

I think I am going with the base model fro $370.

Like other purchases, set a dollar limit, then go there. Really.

My understanding is that the 'IntelliScope without Object Locator'
model is setup so that you can add the Object Locator later, but it
really adds no value without the Object Locator. Is this correct?

I bought the XT10 Intelliscope without the locator then later bought the
locator.
Was told the locator dramatically increases the usefullness of the scope.
Not necessarily.

I think it would be fun to find objects manually so how important is
the object locator?
Are there things that I would need a locator to find?
I am an absolute beginner and I'm not sure how easy it is to find
objects. Would I find it frustrating without the object locator?
Could I add the Object Locator (or similar device) later, even if I
get the base model?

You would not be frustrated without the object locator.
Just join an astronomy club and go to star parties and ask questions.
That is how I bagged 10 deep sky objects with help and without
the computer at a recent star party. And I could repeatedly return to them
sans help.

If I decide to spend $620 on the model with an object locator would I
be better just to pass on the object locator and get the XT 10 base
model?

If I decide to stay under $500 should I drop down to the XT6 with
IntelliScope and object locator.

Get the big arperture, computer later if you think it will help.
I bought the XT10 because it would "snugly" fit in the trunk of my
'71 Mustang M-code. The base is the size of a child's car seat. No problem
there.
Get he biggest scope you can fit in your car or carry for a distance.

I'm not really sure if I will be looking at close objects like the
moon and planets or objects farther away. I'm new to this and will
experiment to see where my interest lies.

I'll mainly be doing this from my back yard which does have some light
from nearby houses. I've heard the XT10 may have problems if it is
not dark enough. I'm currently using a small spotting scope and have
not noticed any light issues.

While working a star party at Yosemite a couple weeks ago, you could find
your way around the paths with the light from the Milky Way alone.
Light polution from the Milky Way was not a problem

mike

Old August 23rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
[email protected]

On Aug 22, 9:04 pm, "goodnigh" wrote:

Get the big arperture, computer later if you think it will help.
I bought the XT10 because it would "snugly" fit in the trunk of my
'71 Mustang M-code. The base is the size of a child's car seat. No problem
there.
mike

Can I by the XT10 base model and still add a computer later?
By base model I mean the one that costs $549.95 with the bonus
accessory back, and no IntelliScope mount.
That about maxes out my price range.
Are there after market mounts and computers that work just as well?

Old August 23rd 07, 07:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
rat ~( )>

On Aug 22, 3:41?pm, "Jan Owen" wrote:
I own 3.7, 5.5, 8, 10, 12, and 13.1" scopes... Keeping that in mind, my
personal opinion is that you'll thank yourself later for ordering a 10"
scope instead of an 8", UNLESS you live somewhere where the Jet Stream is
always overhead, or if you live somewhere where the seeing is always quite
poor... Then, the 8" MIGHT be a better choice...

--
Jan Owen

I think the 10" will do better regardless of the skies. I live under
the jet stream, and I've owned both. I gave the 8" Synta to a friend
and kept a 10" Starsplitter for myself. Aperture rules.

rat
~( );

Old August 23rd 07, 07:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
rat ~( )>

On Aug 22, 9:37?pm, wrote:

Can I by the XT10 base model and still add a computer later?
By base model I mean the one that costs $549.95 with the bonus
accessory back, and no IntelliScope mount.
That about maxes out my price range.
Are there after market mounts and computers that work just as well?

Yes, do that, you won't be sorry.

You would want to add the computer that they sell. I doubt it would be
worth changing the mount. It is a great telescope, and a great value.
You may well find that you don't require a computer. I own over half a
dozen (something like that) telescopes and I don't bother with
computers on any of them. A big part of the hobby for me was to gain
knowledge of the night sky. A good star Mag 6 star atlas is all it
takes. Start by learning the constellations. The rest comes by
osmosis.

rat
~( );

Old August 23rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
[email protected]

On Aug 23, 2:41 am, "rat ~( );" wrote:
On Aug 22, 9:37?pm, wrote:

[...]

It was my understanding the the SkyQuest IntelliScope WITHOUT Object
Locator had a special mount that allowed the object locator to be
added later. This mount has some sensors that the object locator uses
to know which way the scope is pointed.
Is this correct?

The $549 version is not the IntelliScope so it would not have the
mount.
The version with IntelliScope but not object locator is $670, this is
at the top of my price range.
To get object locator it would cost $790, over my price range. If I
really need the IntelliScope Object Locator I could drop down to an
XT8 and get it.

I could wait a while then be able to afford theXT10 with object
locator, but for just a bit more I could get the XT12 WITHOUT
IntelliScope. The circle continues ...

Building a Telescope Or Purchase Daniel J Deyette Amateur Astronomy 6 March 22nd 05 03:27 AM
SKYQUEST XT4.5 TELESCOPE Mark Amateur Astronomy 4 December 13th 03 12:58 PM
Telescope Purchase (me again) Larry UK Astronomy 8 September 1st 03 04:54 PM
Purchase telescope J Amateur Astronomy 6 August 27th 03 01:38 PM
advice for telescope purchase username Amateur Astronomy 3 August 8th 03 04:36 AM