Looking for a friend?

Old October 27th 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Jane[_2_]

Default Looking for a friend?

"Rowland McDonnell" wrote in message

(Rowland McDonnell) wrote:
used2be wrote:
"slunky" wrote:
Get your own Rowland today! He's like a eurotrash cabbage patch
kid.
You'll love the stereotypical anti-American antics!

he's not made in china, is he?

Nope; Yugoslavia, at least in the first few weeks. My parents were on
camping holiday.

Rowland.

P.S. The anti-American comments only appear when there are arrogant
ignorant Yanks around who need it explained to them that their country
is a despicable despoiler that's been making the world a worse place
for
everyone over the last 60 years at least.

ott dott dot dot tip tip.....

let's see, 1947....didn't we just save a bunch of people?

Nope - 1947 was about when the USA started throwing its weight around
very heavily due to having a monopoly on nuclear bombs which it refused
to share with its allies. That's why France and Britain both developed
their own nuclear weapons - so that they could avoid being pushed around
by the Yanks quite so much. In fact, Britain found out that a fission
bomb alone didn't stop the Yanks pushing us around a lot, which is why
the British fusion bomb was developed. Ditto the French.

Still, that didn't stop the treachery of the USA towards its allies in
the matter of French Indochina (funding communist rebels against US
allies, the French), or Suez, or any number of other affairs in which
the USA acted to scupper the plans of its allies in order to reduce
their influence and income and increase US influence and income.
1941-1945 was when the USA was our friend. It has not been a reliable
friend since.

1941 was when the USA - and I have explicitly thanked the USA for this
in another post, as well as its intervention in the First World War -
joined in rather late with the Second World War and helped the other
allied powers defeat fascism. The USA did a lot less to beat fascism
than did the USSR. Britain held back the Germans *alone* in the early
years of the war and it was us and the USSR (when it got invaded in
1941) that saved the world from German take-over - it's just that
Britain couldn't invade Europe without some help, and the Soviets
couldn't hold back the Germans without someone giving *them* a hand to
damage the German war effort. Well, the RAF did what it could - but
Britain just didn't have the money or the manpower needed to invade
Europe on the scale necessary.

Lend Lease wasn't cutting it,

What, you mean all that equipment that you sold us to make money, that
we only finished paying off the debt on a couple of years ago? Yes, it
was useful, was US production, but it wasn't like the USA was doing it
out of the goodness of its heart or anything: it was a money-making
opportunity.

Germany had its bill for the First World War cancelled in the 1930s (or
was it a bit sooner than that?) - but Britain, the staunch ally of the
USA, had to spend many decades paying huge wodges of cash for the help
the USA provided us during the Second World War. I think the debt was
cleared last year, or maybe the year before that.

so a couple of our people showed
up....it was like some big thing.

[snip]

If you'd read my posts, you'd've already read my thanks - utterly
unprompted - for what the USA did during the First World War (three
years late, but welcome) and during the Second World War (two years
late, but welcome).

But having done a couple of Very Good Things in the distant past does
not take away from the large number of Very Bad Things done in the many,
many decades since.

Shall we talk about the harm done to Iraq due to the Bush administration
ignoring its advisors plans on how to govern and rebuild Iraq after the
invasion? That's one Very Bad Thing - caused not by a fundamental flaw
in Americans, since a proper plan had been developed by Americans, who
knew it was needed - but caused rather by a really bad government.
You've had a lot of bad governments over the years - why don't you do
something about it and stop yourselves being viewed as the Great Satan,
eh?

Rowland.

Don't your fingers get sore writing a novel with each response?

Old October 27th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Jane[_2_]

"slunky" wrote in message
_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
`********' is probably my favourite word.

I like that one.

--
-slunky

yeah that's one of my favorites too

Old October 27th 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
slunky

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
Maybe the reason you keep hearing the same things over and over again is
that they're all true?

Ever considered that? It seems not: you seem to think that repetition
makes something false. How odd.

When have I ever said it was false? Are you generalizing about Americans
again, or are you mistaking me with somebody else?

The correct thing to do is to admit it and try to do better - it worked
for Germany. Us Brits know all about the bad **** *our* nation has done
over the years - we get taught it in school. *WE* don't shy away from
admitting it.

Do you lot get taught about that sort of thing? About, for example, how
your nation subjected the previous inhabitants to genocide?

I'm fully aware of it all, and what am I supposed to do about it?
Apologize to you for it? I wasn't around back then. My family wasn't
involved, in fact, my family had an extermination order issued against
THEM. Should the US eternally hang our heads in shame for what happened
two hundred years ago? Have you ever heard the term "Get over it"?

--
-slunky
Old October 27th 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
slunky

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
But please don't say it in a `typical mid-western what we hear on the
telly' American accent. It just sounds stupid. Those `o' sounds need
to come out as `o', not that `ah' sound the `bland for TV mid-western'
accent gives it.

I don't ever say it. I just like the word. I like the term "buggered"
too, but I don't say that either.

--
-slunky
Old October 27th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Jane[_2_]

"slunky" wrote in message
_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
But please don't say it in a `typical mid-western what we hear on the
telly' American accent. It just sounds stupid. Those `o' sounds need
to come out as `o', not that `ah' sound the `bland for TV mid-western'
accent gives it.

I don't ever say it. I just like the word. I like the term "buggered"
too, but I don't say that either.

--
-slunky

I'm not sure what TV Mid-western sound he's talking about. I'm Midwestern
and our "o" sounds like OH and our AH sounds like AH. maybe he means East
Coast New York, New Jersey or Boston Accents. Actually the part of Midwest
that I grew up in we sound like my neighboring Canadians!

Old October 27th 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

gibbet (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:
:
[...]

You *really* need to learn some history...

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 27th 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
%

is this for the Teil

Old October 27th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
slunky

_/ % wrote \_
is this for the Teil

He never cooked us breakfast.

--
-slunky
Old October 27th 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Mally

"%" wrote in message
ay

I have no wish to become embroiled in any pointless arguments. I am not very
bright. I have looked 'ay' up in my dictionary, and find no reference to it.
You must understand, I am getting on in years and don't always understand
some of the new words that pop up time after time.
Cutting the blather, I would be obliged if you explain the meaning of this
to me.
With respect,
--
Mal
Three fifths of the time or more, I am usually wrong.

Friend brings a friend. Shisha Girl Amateur Astronomy 0 March 2nd 06 02:30 AM
I need a friend Double-A Misc 0 December 18th 04 04:27 PM
An old friend Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 11 November 16th 04 01:19 PM
An old friend... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 4 March 27th 04 07:44 AM
Sue a friend PennyPer Misc 0 July 18th 03 12:11 AM