Looking for a friend?

Old October 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Looking for a friend?

On Oct 26, 10:02 pm, (Rowland
McDonnell) wrote:
the_dawggie wrote:
slunky wrote:

Get your own Rowland today! He's like a eurotrash cabbage patch kid.
You'll love the stereotypical anti-American antics!

Link?

IOW as politically incorrect as Golly Wog dolls.

I'm not aware that anyone's objected to the Isle of Wight on such
grounds.

There are a lot of good things that come from Europe.
The range of ciders and beers is pretty cool.

The range of beers in Belgium alone knocks that produced in the USA for
six. Not that there isn't some good beer brewed in the USA, mind. You
just won't find any of it brewed by large breweries.

I'm not interested in their motor vehicles though, they
are overpriced, and in my view difficult to work on,

You've never looked at an air cooled VW Beetle, then? Or a Morris
Minor? Or a 2CV? Many European cars are designed to be very easy to
work on - and that approach started in the 1930s, hence my selected
examples. It's old hat here.

and
not suited to conditions here, and the styling generally
unattractive :-p

To my eyes, American cars are mostly hideously ugly, so I suppose if you
like that sort of thing, you wouldn't like the generally either graceful
or funky lines of most European cars.

On the other hand, it seems that many USAians do rather like European
styling - take these comments from a US commentator about an archetypal
English car:

http://www.materialevents.com/db9.htm

`Now before I get carried away with the driving, I feel obligated to
express to you how truly beautiful this machine is. Not in a flashy,
pretentious "look at me", kind of way, but in that "I don't need you to
look at me" kind of way. Those who appreciate a finely crafted and
engineered vehicle such as the DB9 will notice the artistry in the
design. The uncluttered, flowing lines of it's body flow so seamlessly
from nose to tail, that it seems as though it was crafted from a solid
piece of metal. It's low stance and menacing grill portray the essence
of what the soul of this car is about: speed and power. A picture is
worth a thousand words, and can do the DB9 far more justice than words
can, but you really need to experience it in person to fully appreciate
the care and artistic skill that has gone into its design. Every
interior surface is either encased in gleaming, handcrafted fine wood or
wrapped tightly with soft, supple leather. In fact, the elegance of the
interior might even be distracting, if the performance wasn't so
impressive.'

Grace and elegance - or a bit of humour, especially from the French - is
what characterises European car styling; and all are missing from
typical US car designs. Not to mention the fact that most US cars over
here are very poor quality compared to similarly priced European or
Japanese offerings - you get something that's less good for your money
by buying American. Tacky ill-fitting interiors seem standard in US
cars, along with less reliability, and so on.

Admittedly, US cars are no longer the bad jokes they were in the 1970s
and 1980s, so you do see a few on the streets over here - but not many.

(okay, okay, it's hard to love the styling of BMWs or Mercs - but they
have a kind of bland German elegance about them)

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address:
Sorry - the spam got to mehttp://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk

He's Australian.
so you convicted him....in a kangaroo court.

frett

Old October 27th 07, 03:40 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

BoredToTears wrote:

slunky wrote:
Get your own Rowland today! He's like a eurotrash cabbage patch kid.
You'll love the stereotypical anti-American antics!

Anyone who disagrees with Rowly is automatically treated to an essay,
relevant or not.

Another way of looking at it is that I attempt to engage in a rational
discussion by explaining my point of view in response to someone else's
post.

Unfortunately, it seems that many people with poor literacy skills find
this threatening, and they feel the need to hurl insults at me because
of the fact that I write so much they can't cope and feel small and
silly because they're not capable of writing so much as a single
coherent paragraph, let alone an essay.

Don't feel bad just because you're ill educated or maybe just
educationally subnormal - I don't hold it against you.

And if you're from the US you're obviously a bigot, a
racist and more than likely mentally challenged.

sigh Except, of course, that I frequently remark on the fact that is
*NOT* how I view the inhabitants of the USA. Many USAians are very fine
people. But many of them are pure scum - like the people who are doing
the racist threatening in schools and so on with nooses at the moment,
for example.

It's a shame that idiots like you enjoy this sort of malicious lying,
but there you go.

I only come out with accusations of bigotry and so on when there is
evidence for it. shrug The sad fact of the matter is that an awful
lot of USAians who post on Usenet do enjoy posting alll sorts of
claptrap - many expose themselves as racists, or other sorts of bigots.
So I comment - and why not?

And what happens? Any criticism I level, no matter what, is dismissed
as reflex anti-Americanism. Is that the best you lot can do? All
criticism is to be disregarded? It seems like you've all got some sort
of severe psychological problem that causes you to deny that your home
nation is capable of doing anything other than good.

He's also got a wee
pal who, on any particular day (any particular hour), either loves him
or hates him and is even less rational than he is.

This is, in case you hadn't noticed, a newsgroup for those with mental
health problems...

But BoredToTears enjoys stirring - s/he's one of the malicious posters
on upsd.

Rowland.

Old October 27th 07, 03:40 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

BoredToTears wrote:

e3b1 wrote:
BoredToTears wrote:
On 26 Oct, 22:59, slunky wrote:
Get your own Rowland today! He's like a eurotrash cabbage patch kid.
You'll love the stereotypical anti-American antics!

--
-slunky

Anyone who disagrees with Rowly is automatically treated to an essay,
relevant or not. And if you're from the US you're obviously a bigot, a
racist and more than likely mentally challenged. He's also got a wee
pal who, on any particular day (any particular hour), either loves him
or hates him and is even less rational than he is.

Doesn't he think the Irish/Scots/Welsh etc are also lesser beings or
have i got that wrong?

He says that the Brits are the best - along with a bunch of others,
explicitly including the Irish, Canadians, Kiwis, and Aussies, with
France and Germany (etc) not far behind. I sort of included the Jews
in the `top level of superiority' too[1].

Why think that when I say `Brit', I mean `English'? I don't. My recent
ancestry comes from France, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland (no branch of
my family `comes from England') - with some Jewish (yes! lucky me!) not
that far back. I've recently found out that for *best* superiority, I
really should have some oriental blood in me, but I don't think I'll
find that unless I look back many thousands of years.

(of course I've got African ancestry - but who hasn't?)

He's also pointed out that as far as the Irish, Welsh, and Scots are
concerned, they consider themselves to be the best going. Ditto the
Aussies - who are even deluded enough to think that they live in God's
own country, can you credit? And he's not argued with those points of
view at all.

He comes across as very bigoted.

That's one possible interpretation. The other interpretation is that
he's got a mischievous sense of humour and is perpetrating a terrible
wind-up.

What do you reckon?

We're not quite as lesser as the Yanks. Or the Germans or the French.
He quite likes Canadians.

I've got to sneer at the French. My French great-grandfather couldn't
stand 'em and moved to Manchester. My nose is French.

Rowland.

[1] Jewish culture seems to possess the best survival characteristics
of any culture on the planet - they're *seriously* `fit for purpose'.

Old October 27th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
slunky

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
And what happens? Any criticism I level, no matter what, is dismissed
as reflex anti-Americanism. Is that the best you lot can do? All
criticism is to be disregarded? It seems like you've all got some sort
of severe psychological problem that causes you to deny that your home
nation is capable of doing anything other than good.

We've heard it all before. What you say is nothing new. So yes, it's
disregarded as old news from yet another stereotypical snobby European.

--
-slunky
Old October 27th 07, 03:58 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

slunky wrote:

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
It's just that there is a lot of ignorance spouted by ignorant Yanks on
Usenet, and it needs commenting on.

Is ignorant your second favorite word next to USA?

`********' is probably my favourite word.

Rowland.

Old October 27th 07, 03:58 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

wrote:

(Rowland McDonnell) wrote:
used2be wrote:
"slunky" wrote:
Get your own Rowland today! He's like a eurotrash cabbage patch kid.
You'll love the stereotypical anti-American antics!

he's not made in china, is he?

Nope; Yugoslavia, at least in the first few weeks. My parents were on a
camping holiday.

Rowland.

P.S. The anti-American comments only appear when there are arrogant
ignorant Yanks around who need it explained to them that their country
is a despicable despoiler that's been making the world a worse place for
everyone over the last 60 years at least.

ott dott dot dot tip tip.....

let's see, 1947....didn't we just save a bunch of people?

Nope - 1947 was about when the USA started throwing its weight around
very heavily due to having a monopoly on nuclear bombs which it refused
to share with its allies. That's why France and Britain both developed
their own nuclear weapons - so that they could avoid being pushed around
by the Yanks quite so much. In fact, Britain found out that a fission
bomb alone didn't stop the Yanks pushing us around a lot, which is why
the British fusion bomb was developed. Ditto the French.

Still, that didn't stop the treachery of the USA towards its allies in
the matter of French Indochina (funding communist rebels against US
allies, the French), or Suez, or any number of other affairs in which
the USA acted to scupper the plans of its allies in order to reduce
their influence and income and increase US influence and income.
1941-1945 was when the USA was our friend. It has not been a reliable
friend since.

1941 was when the USA - and I have explicitly thanked the USA for this
in another post, as well as its intervention in the First World War -
joined in rather late with the Second World War and helped the other
allied powers defeat fascism. The USA did a lot less to beat fascism
than did the USSR. Britain held back the Germans *alone* in the early
years of the war and it was us and the USSR (when it got invaded in
1941) that saved the world from German take-over - it's just that
Britain couldn't invade Europe without some help, and the Soviets
couldn't hold back the Germans without someone giving *them* a hand to
damage the German war effort. Well, the RAF did what it could - but
Britain just didn't have the money or the manpower needed to invade
Europe on the scale necessary.

Lend Lease wasn't cutting it,

What, you mean all that equipment that you sold us to make money, that
we only finished paying off the debt on a couple of years ago? Yes, it
was useful, was US production, but it wasn't like the USA was doing it
out of the goodness of its heart or anything: it was a money-making
opportunity.

Germany had its bill for the First World War cancelled in the 1930s (or
was it a bit sooner than that?) - but Britain, the staunch ally of the
USA, had to spend many decades paying huge wodges of cash for the help
the USA provided us during the Second World War. I think the debt was
cleared last year, or maybe the year before that.

so a couple of our people showed
up....it was like some big thing.

[snip]

If you'd read my posts, you'd've already read my thanks - utterly
unprompted - for what the USA did during the First World War (three
years late, but welcome) and during the Second World War (two years
late, but welcome).

But having done a couple of Very Good Things in the distant past does
not take away from the large number of Very Bad Things done in the many,
many decades since.

Shall we talk about the harm done to Iraq due to the Bush administration
ignoring its advisors plans on how to govern and rebuild Iraq after the
invasion? That's one Very Bad Thing - caused not by a fundamental flaw
in Americans, since a proper plan had been developed by Americans, who
knew it was needed - but caused rather by a really bad government.
You've had a lot of bad governments over the years - why don't you do
something about it and stop yourselves being viewed as the Great Satan,
eh?

Rowland.

Old October 27th 07, 04:00 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
slunky

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
`********' is probably my favourite word.

I like that one.

--
-slunky
Old October 27th 07, 04:02 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
%

ay

Old October 27th 07, 04:07 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

slunky wrote:

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
And what happens? Any criticism I level, no matter what, is dismissed
as reflex anti-Americanism. Is that the best you lot can do? All
criticism is to be disregarded? It seems like you've all got some sort
of severe psychological problem that causes you to deny that your home
nation is capable of doing anything other than good.

We've heard it all before. What you say is nothing new.

I don't suppose it is.

So yes, it's
disregarded as old news from yet another stereotypical snobby European.

Maybe the reason you keep hearing the same things over and over again is
that they're all true?

Ever considered that? It seems not: you seem to think that repetition
makes something false. How odd.

Seems to me that if you keep hearing the same things explained to you
time and time again with full explanations - not just wild, mindless
insults, but fully explained - then there's a good chance that the
reason you keep hearing this stuff is that it's all true.

Your nation has caused incredible harm over the centuries - starting out
with genocide and the evils of slavery in the early years, and leading
on to the horrors perpetrated by the USA in the post WWII era.

The correct thing to do is to admit it and try to do better - it worked
for Germany. Us Brits know all about the bad **** *our* nation has done
over the years - we get taught it in school. *WE* don't shy away from
admitting it.

Do you lot get taught about that sort of thing? About, for example, how
your nation subjected the previous inhabitants to genocide?

Rowland.

Old October 27th 07, 04:09 AM posted to alt.support.social-phobia,alt.support.depression,uk.people.support.depression,sci.space.policy
Rowland McDonnell

slunky wrote:

_/ Rowland McDonnell wrote \_
`********' is probably my favourite word.

I like that one.

But please don't say it in a `typical mid-western what we hear on the
telly' American accent. It just sounds stupid. Those `o' sounds need
to come out as `o', not that `ah' sound the `bland for TV mid-western'
accent gives it.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address:
Sorry - the spam got to me
http://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking

Friend brings a friend. Shisha Girl Amateur Astronomy 0 March 2nd 06 02:30 AM
I need a friend Double-A Misc 0 December 18th 04 04:27 PM
An old friend Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 11 November 16th 04 01:19 PM
An old friend... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 4 March 27th 04 07:44 AM
Sue a friend PennyPer Misc 0 July 18th 03 12:11 AM