M48/NGC 2548 - Great seeing but poor transparency

Old February 22nd 07, 06:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default M48/NGC 2548 - Great seeing but poor transparency

Dear group,

The skies finally cleared last night for the first time in about three
weeks. With 92% humidity, the seeing was exceptional for this time of
the year ranging from 1.8-1.9" (FWHM) at the start of the session and
which was down to 1.52" a few hours thereafter. However, the
transparency was poor and partially impacted the net result.

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm .

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Hewitt

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear group,

The skies finally cleared last night for the first time in about three
weeks. With 92% humidity, the seeing was exceptional for this time of
the year ranging from 1.8-1.9" (FWHM) at the start of the session and
which was down to 1.52" a few hours thereafter. However, the
transparency was poor and partially impacted the net result.

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm .

Clear skies!

Nice pic. It's just not fair that I can't get them like that!

The viewing of late has been appalling hasn't it? I got a new 150mm Dob
last week, and my 105mm Mak arrived yesterday. I reckon I've got about 2
hours viewing in the last two weeks.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/
Old February 22nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear group,

The skies finally cleared last night for the first time in about three
weeks. With 92% humidity, the seeing was exceptional for this time of
the year ranging from 1.8-1.9" (FWHM) at the start of the session and
which was down to 1.52" a few hours thereafter. However, the
transparency was poor and partially impacted the net result.

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm .

Clear skies!

Hi Andy,

Nice pic. It's just not fair that I can't get them like that!

I have produced much better results under better transparency.

The viewing of late has been appalling hasn't it? I got a new 150mm Dob
last week, and my 105mm Mak arrived yesterday. I reckon I've got about 2
hours viewing in the last two weeks.

It seems every winter is worse than the previous one. This winter in
particular has been very atypical for us in the southeastern
Mediterranean who usually enjoy very good weather year-round.

Anthony.
Old February 22nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. H. Greer

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm .

Nevertheless, the result looks very nice! Some color differences are
distinguishable amongst some of the brighter stars.

I suppose personal preference comes in when it comes to 'diffraction'
spikes. Some people try to minimize them, others introduce them ;-)

Still, it *is* a nice image!
--
Bill
Celestial Journeys
Old February 22nd 07, 09:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Hewitt

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Hi Andy,

Hi Anthony

Nice pic. It's just not fair that I can't get them like that!

I have produced much better results under better transparency.

Indeed, I just know I haven't the equipment to start with anyway.

The viewing of late has been appalling hasn't it? I got a new 150mm Dob
last week, and my 105mm Mak arrived yesterday. I reckon I've got about 2
hours viewing in the last two weeks.

It seems every winter is worse than the previous one. This winter in
particular has been very atypical for us in the southeastern
Mediterranean who usually enjoy very good weather year-round.

That's more worrying than ever, I'm actually replying in the uk.s.a.
group, and posting from the north east of England. Doesn't hold much
hope for us here if you can't get a clear sky down there :-(

Old February 22nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
RMOLLISE

On Feb 22, 12:04 pm, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:
Dear group,

The skies finally cleared last night for the first time in about three
weeks. With 92% humidity, the seeing was exceptional for this time of
the year ranging from 1.8-1.9" (FWHM) at the start of the session and
which was down to 1.52" a few hours thereafter. However, the
transparency was poor and partially impacted the net result.

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available athttp://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Hi Anthony:

Nice shot. I was conincidentally looking at M93 last night myself with
my little Meade ETX 125. While we've had at least some clear weather
down here on the U.S. Gulf Coast, last night was like yours, clear but
poor transparency.

Unk Rod

Old February 22nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Terry B

"Andy Hewitt" wrote in message
news:1htydho.18whduh13wqsueN%wildrover.andy@google mail.com...
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

[...]

Our local astro group tried to have a moon viewing night last night here (in
Aus) but that annoying grey filter wouldn't go away. At least someone got
some viewing in.
At least we had a bit of rain to justify the clouds.

Terry B
Armidale
Australia

Old February 23rd 07, 12:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Starboard

Great shot. I'd like to see more.

Thanks,.

Errol
www.pasnola.org

Old February 23rd 07, 01:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

wrote:

Dear group,

The skies finally cleared last night for the first time in about three
weeks. With 92% humidity, the seeing was exceptional for this time of
the year ranging from 1.8-1.9" (FWHM) at the start of the session and
which was down to 1.52" a few hours thereafter. However, the
transparency was poor and partially impacted the net result.

The open cluster M48 in Hydra is most impressive and I am disappointed
the poor transparency did not permit for an even better result. For
those interested, the result is available athttp://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-2548.htm.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Hi Anthony:

Hi Rod,

Nice shot. I was conincidentally looking at M93 last night myself with
my little Meade ETX 125. While we've had at least some clear weather
down here on the U.S. Gulf Coast, last night was like yours, clear but
poor transparency.

In fact M93 is one of my immediate targets during the next imaging
opportunity as I am close to completing the imaging of all current
seasonal open clusters.

Anthony.

Unk Rod

Old February 23rd 07, 01:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

[...]

The Baader cloud filter does wonders! :-)

At least we had a bit of rain to justify the clouds.

Ditto for the Baader rain filter! :-)

No, I do not own any shares in Baader.

Anthony.

Terry B