No go due to weather. SCRUBBED.

Old July 13th 09, 12:03 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Default No go due to weather. SCRUBBED.

Both RTLS and launch weather are no-gos at the 9 minute polling.

No expection of improvement, will lose the launch window. Thunderstorms
to the west of the site.

Scrub not yet announced.

Question: since they saw those storms come, how much time could they
have cut from the 9 minute hold period to launch before the storms got
too close ?

Scrub now formal. Will try tomorrow.
Old July 13th 09, 01:07 AM posted to alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,alt.suicide.holiday,sci.space.shuttle
The Hanson Brothers

"John Doe" wrote in message
Both RTLS and launch weather are no-gos at the 9 minute polling.

No expection of improvement, will lose the launch window. Thunderstorms
to the west of the site.

Scrub not yet announced.

Question: since they saw those storms come, how much time could they
have cut from the 9 minute hold period to launch before the storms got
too close ?

Scrub now formal. Will try tomorrow.

Damn! I was so looking forward to this liftoff.

Old July 13th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,alt.suicide.holiday,sci.space.shuttle
%

The Hanson Brothers wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
Both RTLS and launch weather are no-gos at the 9 minute polling.

No expection of improvement, will lose the launch window.
Thunderstorms to the west of the site.

Scrub not yet announced.

Question: since they saw those storms come, how much time could they
have cut from the 9 minute hold period to launch before the storms
got too close ?

Scrub now formal. Will try tomorrow.

Damn! I was so looking forward to this liftoff.

everybody lift off everybody

Old July 13th 09, 09:16 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Surely this is the point, the windows are ridiculously short these days, its
no wonder the weather screws it up so often, especially this time of year.

So, maybe its time to do a bit of looking at the weather factor and seeing
if this can be relaxed a bit. As far as I can see, its not a real problem
for launch unless they are right close by, except maybe for visibility. I
have never been confident that return to launch site is feasible in the
early stages of the launch, due to the probably catastrophic failure mode
most probable in that time frame. A bit later on gives them mor energy to
play with and thus an ability to avoid any dodgy weather on the glide back,
though unless the cell is really bad, the most likely problem will be tile
denting etc, rather than anything else. They would be glad to get the ship
back at all.

Just some thoughts. I personally feel that they are still running a bigger
risk by not tearing down the systems to fire the srb bolts and starters etc,
than they would have had launching yesterday with the weather they had.

Brian

Email:

Old July 13th 09, 12:26 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_16_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
Both RTLS and launch weather are no-gos at the 9 minute polling.

No expection of improvement, will lose the launch window. Thunderstorms
to the west of the site.

Scrub not yet announced.

Question: since they saw those storms come, how much time could they
have cut from the 9 minute hold period to launch before the storms got
too close ?

Scrub now formal. Will try tomorrow.

Ayup, we were on the causeway when they made the announcement.

It was pretty clear the storm wasn't going to break up.

As for how much they could cut, my understanding was that the launch window
was approximately 10 minutes wide, with the launch set for the middle of
that.

Which basically means they could have got up to 5 minutes from the hold.

Based on my untrained eye, that would not have been nearly enough to make
the launch happen.

At the 9 minute poll they were clearly in violation of the RTLS weather
criteria and were dang close to violation of the launch weather criteria.
Even if they had been able to launch at say 7:08 instead of 7:13, I'm fairly
confident they'd have been in violation of the launch criteria in any case.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old July 13th 09, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Have they called off today as well, looks like treading water programming on
nasa tv.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
m...

Old July 13th 09, 06:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :
Have they called off today as well, looks like treading water programming on
nasa tv.

Brian

According to NASA TV the countdown is not stopped yet, su I gess the
launch has not been scrubbed for today.

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 13th 09, 07:57 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Jul 13, 10:06*am, André, PE1PQX wrote:
Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :

Have they called off today as well, looks like treading water programming on
nasa tv.
Brian

According to NASA TV the countdown is not stopped yet, su I gess the
launch has not been scrubbed for today.

Astronauts suiting up as 11:35 PDT, weather still a concern.

/dps
Old July 13th 09, 11:36 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

Het is zò dat Snidely formuleerde :
On Jul 13, 10:06*am, André, PE1PQX wrote:
Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :

Have they called off today as well, looks like treading water programming
on nasa tv.
Brian

According to NASA TV the countdown is not stopped yet, su I gess the
launch has not been scrubbed for today.

Astronauts suiting up as 11:35 PDT, weather still a concern.

/dps

I think the launch will be scrubbed again, again due to bad weather.

Still in the T-9 minute hold...

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 13th 09, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

André, PE1PQX had uiteengezet :
Het is zò dat Snidely formuleerde :
On Jul 13, 10:06*am, André, PE1PQX wrote:
Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :

Have they called off today as well, looks like treading water programming
on nasa tv.
Brian

According to NASA TV the countdown is not stopped yet, su I gess the
launch has not been scrubbed for today.

Astronauts suiting up as 11:35 PDT, weather still a concern.

/dps

I think the launch will be scrubbed again, again due to bad weather.

Still in the T-9 minute hold...

Just heard the 'no go' message.. scrubbed for retry tomorrow or the day
after tomorrow

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

STS-127 scrubbed skyguy Space Shuttle 10 June 15th 09 06:03 PM
STS-116 launch scrubbed - weather Dale Space Shuttle 0 December 8th 06 09:12 AM
STS-116 launch scrubbed - weather John Doe Space Shuttle 4 December 8th 06 07:11 AM
STS-116 launch scrubbed - weather Dale Space Shuttle 0 December 8th 06 06:44 AM
Scrubbed... Reed Snellenberger Space Shuttle 1 July 13th 05 09:54 PM