National cloud day practice run

Old May 24th 04, 07:20 PM
dave

Default National cloud day practice run

first ever photo of the sun in prep for 'national cloud day' on june 8th.
comments appreciated
http://www.devilgas.com/astro/200405241758.jpg

image is a full size crop, sharpened and birghtened slightly in photoshop.
apologies to those who've already read this on a.b.p.astro

Old May 25th 04, 02:32 PM
Ed Astle

"dave" wrote in message
first ever photo of the sun in prep for 'national cloud day' on june 8th.
comments appreciated
http://www.devilgas.com/astro/200405241758.jpg

image is a full size crop, sharpened and birghtened slightly in photoshop.
apologies to those who've already read this on a.b.p.astro

Not bad, especially considering when its just ordinary photo equipment you
used. Certainly better than my first efforts (only this week - leaving it a
little late for practice too!).

I really wanted to use my C9.25 'cos it cost a fair bit, so should be
better, right ? The shadow of the secondary mirror sticks out like a sore
thumb against the Sun (when doing afocal using my Sony F717 digital camera)
so I'm going to dust off my old Skywatcher 150 refractor and see how that
fairs.

I practised all afternoon on Sunday for the "National cloud day". I can now
run to the kitchen, retrieve an umbrella and tear down my equipment in less
than 2 minutes.

Regards,
Ed.

Old May 25th 04, 02:40 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:32:06 +0100, "Ed Astle"
wrote:
I practised all afternoon on Sunday for the "National cloud day".

I'm going to copyright that name (despite the fact that I couldn't
recognise it's abbreviation ;-) )

I can now
run to the kitchen, retrieve an umbrella and tear down my equipment in less
than 2 minutes.

I recently had a new bed delivered for my youngest son. It came with
massive plastic bags. They fit perfectly over my scope when it's in
the garden. Hey - I could even fit underneath as well and image from
inside. Loads of warnings about suffocation but nothing about
observing from inside...

Takes the pressure off when the weather turns sour. Unless, of
course, there are gales in the equation as well. Then the bag becomes
a liability too.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk