Might anyone here re-figure a 6 in. f10??

Old November 30th 03, 05:01 AM
fueller

Default Might anyone here re-figure a 6 in. f10??

I've constructed three scopes now, all dobs. Two 8"s and a 6". The
6" came out best as far as body and tube, however I rarely use it
because the mirror is poor, in my opinion. It's never been tested,
that is just the impression I have of it, and no, I have not arrived
at that conclusion by mistake without considering that it's a smaller
mirror than the 8's. It was a second hand mirror I got from Hands On
Optics (took a chance) and it just does not seem to be very well
figured. Anyway, I would like to have it re-figured by someone who
knows what they are doing, I have heard this size mirror is not easy
to figure at f10. Is anyone here interested or have a
recomendation? If so, what kind of price might you ask? Thanks.
Old November 30th 03, 06:06 AM
Chuck Taylor

fueller wrote in message
I've constructed three scopes now, all dobs. Two 8"s and a 6". The
6" came out best as far as body and tube, however I rarely use it
because the mirror is poor, in my opinion. It's never been tested,
that is just the impression I have of it, and no, I have not arrived
at that conclusion by mistake without considering that it's a smaller
mirror than the 8's. It was a second hand mirror I got from Hands On
Optics (took a chance) and it just does not seem to be very well
figured. Anyway, I would like to have it re-figured by someone who
knows what they are doing, I have heard this size mirror is not easy
to figure at f10. Is anyone here interested or have a
recomendation? If so, what kind of price might you ask? Thanks.

Try the atm list found at

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old November 30th 03, 03:57 PM
Bill Meyers

Y ou could try Richard Wessling at the Pines Optical Shop, Milford
Ohio.(Check the phone directory) He refigured a 6" for me and the result
was excellent. His work is very well respected by other opticians.
You could also try R.F. Royce,. another fine mirror maker.
www.rfroyce.com ]
Bill Meyers

Old December 1st 03, 03:01 PM
Jon Isaacs

Is anyone here interested or have a
recomendation? If so, what kind of price might you ask? Thanks.

You could try Alan Raycraft, I had him refigure my 12.5 inch F4 and it seems to
have come out nicely. The only thing I know about him is that he did many of
the mirrors for the Star Master Oak Classics.

If you are interested I can give you his email.

jon
Old December 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
Dennis Woos

fueller wrote in message
I've constructed three scopes now, all dobs. Two 8"s and a 6". The
6" came out best as far as body and tube, however I rarely use it
because the mirror is poor, in my opinion. It's never been tested,
that is just the impression I have of it, and no, I have not arrived
at that conclusion by mistake without considering that it's a smaller
mirror than the 8's. It was a second hand mirror I got from Hands On
Optics (took a chance) and it just does not seem to be very well
figured. Anyway, I would like to have it re-figured by someone who
knows what they are doing, I have heard this size mirror is not easy
to figure at f10. Is anyone here interested or have a
recomendation? If so, what kind of price might you ask? Thanks.

I would encourage you to find someone locally to at least test the mirror
with you. The knife-edge test is pretty amazing, and I think you would
enjoy it. How does the star test look for this mirror?

Dennis

Old December 4th 03, 04:08 AM
Dennis Woos

"Parallax" wrote in message Isnt a 6" f10
essentially nearly spherical? I mean, not much to
figure really. Now if it was f4......

IMHO It ain't so easy to produce a good paraboloid, even when it is close to
a sphere - as then it is hard to produce a good sphere. Long focal length
mirrors aren't magically easy, and the only thing they have going for them
vis a vis figuring is that the knife-edge test is a null test.

Dennis

Old December 4th 03, 07:36 PM
Ric Rokosz

fueller wrote in message . ..
I've constructed three scopes now, all dobs. Two 8"s and a 6". The
6" came out best as far as body and tube, however I rarely use it
because the mirror is poor, in my opinion. It's never been tested,
that is just the impression I have of it, and no, I have not arrived
at that conclusion by mistake without considering that it's a smaller
mirror than the 8's. It was a second hand mirror I got from Hands On
Optics (took a chance) and it just does not seem to be very well
figured. Anyway, I would like to have it re-figured by someone who
knows what they are doing, I have heard this size mirror is not easy
to figure at f10. Is anyone here interested or have a
recomendation? If so, what kind of price might you ask? Thanks.

Depending on where you live eg Canada I'd be willing to do it.Have 34
years experience in atm land,regular poster on the atm list have
nulling equipment.
F/10's can be tricky as the curve is sooooo shallow....

Ric