ASTRO: Arp 165 A weird faint fuzzy

Old June 15th 09, 07:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 165 A weird faint fuzzy

The reprieve from Arp galaxies was a brief one as I'm returning with one
that does not involve a collision. Seems like most Arp galaxies I've
featured of late involve ongoing collisions but this one does not. At
least not of late. It may have interacted with another galaxy in the
past that resulted in the distortions that got it onto Arp's list.

Arp 165/NGC2418 is very large galaxy some 240 million light years away.
It is located on the eastern edge of Gemini. Arp 165 is classed as an
elliptical peculiar galaxy. It has one low contrast blue arm against
what otherwise is a galaxy that looks much like a typical elliptical,
until you notice the odd tidal extension on the side opposite the blue
arm. Arp classed it under "Galaxies (not classifiable as S(piral) or
E(lliptical); with diffuse elements. This seems rather appropriate. It
appears there has been very little study of this galaxy as I could find
little on it. There are a couple small galaxies right near it (north)
but I found no red shift data on them so can't tell if they are really
companions or just apparent ones due to line of sight. One paper did
call them companions but did so in a way that didn't indicate if the
author considered them actual companions. In fact only one other galaxy
in the entire field had any distance data I could find. That is CGCG
087-015, toward the upper right corner of my image at about the same
distance as Arp 165. It is very blue but otherwise shows no sign of
interacting with Arp 165. To the lower left of Arp 165 is a pair of
galaxies that could be interacting, PGC 3090318/17 left to right. But
without redshift data this is only a guess.

5 asteroids are in the image. Easiest to spot is (200477) 2000 YY5 at
magnitude 18.8. It is the vertical trail south east of Arp 165. Below
it and a bit to the west (right) is the short trail going up at 45
degrees about 2/3rds of the way from the above asteroid and the bottom
of the image. It was made by (204503) 2005 CB37. It faded some half
way through the exposure so appears split in two segments. It is listed
at magnitude 19.7 so is quite faint. To its right and a bit down is the
even fainter trail of magnitude 19.8 (98007) 2000 QR207 which left a
horizontal trail. Northwest (up and right) of Arp 165 is (29519) 1997
YH13. For some reason (star maybe) it left a part of the red image so
ends in a red spot. The trail is very short going down and right and is
magnitude 18.9 though its slow motion makes it appear the brightest of
all the asteroids in the image. In the Southwest corner (lower right is
another very short trail. It is (125891) 2001 XL210 at magnitude 19.4.
It appears brightest in the middle and goes up at about a 45 degree
angle and it too ends with a red spot from the red frame. Except for
that red it looks a lot like a S0 galaxy seen from the side.

Arp's image with the 200" Palomar telescope is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...res/arp165.gif
Seeing was poor on Palomar mountain when he took this image. So the
above link is to the small version. Here's the large one but it shows
no more detail, at least on my monitor.
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp165.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP165NGC2418L4X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	2474
Old June 20th 09, 01:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Neat image Rick. Rather strange sight, this elliptical with a spiral arm
attached.

Stefan

ster.com...