ASTRO: Axis tilting?

Old June 13th 09, 05:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Default ASTRO: Axis tilting?

I realize this is a tad OT for this specific group, but hope
there is sufficient interest to warrant the deviation from
normal programming.

Over the past several months I have been working on a CGI movie
to demonstrate the error of a theory I have been seeing in various
forms across the internet - namely that the Earth's axis has changed
from its known value of 23.439° to some other sometimes extreme
value. Oh, and of course, that this knowledge is also somehow
suppressed.

I invite everyone to take a look at the video on my website:

http://www.skywise711.com/Skeptic/Axis/axis.html

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 13th 09, 06:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Skywise wrote:
I realize this is a tad OT for this specific group, but hope
there is sufficient interest to warrant the deviation from
normal programming.

Over the past several months I have been working on a CGI movie
to demonstrate the error of a theory I have been seeing in various
forms across the internet - namely that the Earth's axis has changed
from its known value of 23.439° to some other sometimes extreme
value. Oh, and of course, that this knowledge is also somehow
suppressed.

I invite everyone to take a look at the video on my website:

http://www.skywise711.com/Skeptic/Axis/axis.html

Brian

Unfortunately, dealing with these folk is impossible. No facts can sway
them. Belief outweighs evidence for these folk. I was a supervisor of
a public observatory for over 27 years and survived several "end of the
earth" events. One of course was Nancy's first try with Nibiru or
Planet X as she preferred to call it. They've shown up here spouting
their ignorance on occasion. One screaming for us to photograph it as
it was "in Orion directly over the south pole." Talk about ignorant!
When I mentioned Orion was on the equator not over the south pole I was
a liar. When I said "I can't photograph a myth" he posted a link to
some preliminary news article about the discovery of infra red galaxies.
Somehow that was supposed to convince me it was real. I never replied
and he soon went away.

But at the observatory they came each night to scream their drivel and
how I was hiding the truth. Fortunately the patrons one night took
matters into their own hands. One fellow about 6-7 and 300 pounds of
solid meat picked up a chair and told the guy to beat it or he'd crush
the chair over his head and took a couple steps toward the guy. At that
point the rest of the audience got up and headed for the guy who then
beat a very hasty retreat never to return. I still don't know if I
would have seen that crushed chair but that guy was mad.

Anyway, where I live in northern Minnesota half the population believes
the hummingbirds migrate south on the backs of the Canadian geese even
thought the humming birds leave in early September and the geese don't
leave until November when the lakes freeze over. Facts are meaningless.

About a quarter of those same folk are believing some part of the 2012
crap with the earth's tilt rather common. Even my vet was telling me
all about it when I took my cat in for his annual shots. He believes
only in science based medicine and scoffs at the new age stuff some
other vets are using because there's no science behind it. Yet is dead
sure about 2012! Amazing!

For the axis tilt believers I point out that if it really was at 49
degrees that they claim (that's the angle of choice here) then we are
well above the arctic circle and thus had about a month of perpetual
night. Don't they remember that? Well it just tilted since then they
say forgetting they told me all about it last year! I point out that
would mean the sun at noon would be not only nearly overhead it would be
past overhead and in the northern sky by 2 degrees (I'm at 47N). No
effect. I'm wrong and they are right. I don't even try to point out my
scope works perfectly at the "pre-tilt" settings. These folk can ignore
any fact. That goes for all irrational beliefs as far as I can tell.

I'm on a slow internet here so didn't download the video, would take
several hours. So I may be covering points you made. Point is nothing
works once they are hooked. Only those just hearing the crap for the
first time can be salvaged and even that is rare. Even my vet is hooked
deep. He agrees the track record of end of the world predictions is a
total failure -- "But this time it's different." ARGGGGGH.

I find it amazing that a few secret service folk couldn't keep a semen
stained dress a secret but the entire world wide astronomy profession
can keep Nibiru a secret. Whatever these folk are smoking it must be
potent stuff!

Rick

Old June 13th 09, 07:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Rick Johnson wrote in news:4a333d13$0$31409
:

I'm on a slow internet here so didn't download the video, would take
several hours. So I may be covering points you made.

Yikes. You must be worse than dialup! Which is where I'm at
still. I downloaded the video myself to make sure it worked
right and it took me an hour:20, but then I was also doing
other stuff. It took forever to upload.

But yes, I did cover much of what you say. The entire video
is one smooth camera movement. There's no cut scenes to make
one question "fancy editing?" It starts distant and zooms
up to the earth. Then a demonstration showing the angle of
the tilt. Next an imaginary line through the axis and the
camera points up to show that it heads towards Polaris. The
camera pans back to the Earth, then zooms in to a telescope
sitting in North America where upon the view pans up to
Polaris again, but since the camera is now rotating with the
Earth, it shows the rotation of the stars around the north
celestial pole. The camera then comes back out to the original
'orbital' position. The planet is then shown tipping over to
49 degrees. Again I pan the camera up towards Polaris and
then to where the imaginary axis line now points (not at
Polaris obviously). Then we zoom back down to the same little
telescope and do the star trail thing again, clearly showing
the stars NOT rotating around Polaris. Then we leave the
planet and while I make some closing comments regarding the
implications of such a tilt, I make a nice flyby's of the
Earth and Moon.

The key to the video is, again, that it is all one smooth
camera motion. There are no breaks or cuts where someone
can claim fancy editing to make it appear to say what I say.

Also, I fully understand your sentiment about the futility
of the True Believer. I'm not really trying to convert them.
What I am trying to do is to help those on the fence know
which way to tip. It's a much safer landing on our side.

BTW, I will make a smaller version available to help with
the bandwidth starved.

Old June 13th 09, 10:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Beta Persei

"Skywise" ha scritto nel messaggio

I invite everyone to take a look at the video on my website:

http://www.skywise711.com/Skeptic/Axis/axis.html

Brian

I prefer to reply here, too many Oriels and Geralds on s.a.a....
That's a very nice job, Brian. Unfortunately, as Rick pointed out, no fact
will move a True Believer from his/her ideas.
On a related matter, do you know the animations on Mogi-Vicentini website?
http://www.mogi-vice.com/index-english.html
I find them most explicative and I do use some of them in my presentations
at various outreaches.

Thanks for sharing and clear skies,
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N
08° 51' E

remove "_nospam" to reply

Old June 13th 09, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

"Beta Persei" wrote in news:4a337753$0$1114
:

I prefer to reply here, too many Oriels and Geralds on s.a.a....

I made sure not to cross post this group to any of the others, so
as not to pollute this group with the innevitable replies.

Unfortunately, as Rick pointed out, no fact will move a True
Believer from his/her ideas.

Very true. But that's not my main goal. It's mainly to demonstrate
to those who are reachable the correct answers so they are not
swayed into pseudoscientific thinking. But also, it helps me to
make sure I understand what I'm talking about and can back up my
own arguments.

On a related matter, do you know the animations on Mogi-Vicentini website?
http://www.mogi-vice.com/index-english.html

No. I was unaware of this site. Thanks. I'll have to spend some time
checking it out.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Axis Tilting? Skywise Amateur Astronomy 91 June 30th 09 09:09 AM
Axis Tilting? Skywise Astronomy Misc 42 June 17th 09 06:53 AM
On-axis, off-axis, and neutral axis light Tenifer Amateur Astronomy 24 November 15th 07 04:02 AM
Single Axis vs. Dual Axis drives [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 5 November 28th 05 09:39 PM
Orion EQ-3M drves: single axis or double axis? Jon Isaacs Amateur Astronomy 29 February 6th 04 11:58 AM