If they were sure a asteroid were going to hit the earth

Old November 10th 03, 04:20 AM
Hallerb

Default If they were sure a asteroid were going to hit the earth

Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a secret to
prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....
Old November 10th 03, 07:49 AM
Pat Flannery

Hallerb wrote:

Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a secret to
prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

Oh, you must mean 2003AX. Well, they haven't said anything about it yet-
and that surprises me....given that around 03:47 UTC this coming
Thursday....

Pat

Old November 10th 03, 12:49 PM
Dale

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:49:11 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Hallerb wrote:

Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a secret to
prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

Oh, you must mean 2003AX. Well, they haven't said anything about it yet-
and that surprises me....given that around 03:47 UTC this coming
Thursday....

I'm free then. No problem....

Dale
Old November 10th 03, 12:57 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Or would the adminstration keep it a secret to
prevent panic?

Why are you keeping the answer to my question secret?
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old November 10th 03, 04:19 PM
Hallerb

Oh, you must mean 2003AX. Well, they haven't said anything about it yet-
and that surprises me....given that around 03:47 UTC this coming
Thursday....

Pat

Actually I hadnt even heard of that one. This was more of a general question.

Of course I think given the devastation possibilties NASA should be given the
resources to prevent such a occurence. The launch capacity could support mars
and near earth asteroid missions, return to the moon, and lots of other
worthwhile projects like some unmanned missions to the outer solar system for
long term study orbiters.

To do all this some heavy lift capacity and manned launchers would be needed!
Old November 10th 03, 07:18 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Hallerb
writes
Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a secret to
prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

I don't know about the administration, but ISTR an interview with Brian
Marsden where he said he would keep quiet if the distance was something
like 0.0001 AU.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old November 10th 03, 07:33 PM
Mark Hanson

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a secret

prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

Uncountable telescopes in private hands. Not even possible to keep it a
secret.

Mark

Old November 10th 03, 10:28 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Mark Hanson" wrote in message
"Hallerb" wrote in message
Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a

secret
prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

Uncountable telescopes in private hands. Not even possible to keep it a
secret.

The gubmint was able to keep an asteroid the size of Texas secret in
Armageddon!

Old November 11th 03, 03:22 PM
Steen Eiler Jørgensen

Hallerb wrote:

Do you think we would be told? Or would the adminstration keep it a
secret to prevent panic? Lets assume its a BIG one....

Only fairly small asteroids *can* be kept secret. The bigger they are, the
more easy they are to discover by amateurs. Asteroids capable of causing
severe regional to global devastation cannot be kept secret - hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of professional and/or amateur astronomers around the
world will be able so spot such a thing pretty early on.

--
Steen Eiler Jørgensen
"Time has resumed its shape. All is as it was before.