A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Space Science » Space Science Misc
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is you ,scope big enough?

Old December 23rd 04, 07:17 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Dec 2004
Default Is you ,scope big enough?

I have been out of astronomy for 20 years. A friend has just offered me a Tasco 114mm reflector. Unlike most newbies I know what to expect and want to just use this for fun. A friend 25 years ago bought a 10" Cambridge Instruments Reflector with a bespoke observatory built by his father in the garden. This did not show enough detail of ANYTHING for me. I was a dedicated member of a society at the time (H Cooper even gave a lecture there!) I was weaned on images of seriously professional scopes and to pretend you are going to get otherwise for under £10,000 you are dreaming. I even paid a visit to the radio array (bedsteads) at Cambridge and the moveable large array (and contolled one!) I also used the vintage very large refractor at Cambridge. Now some people think they are going to pay XXXXX amount and see "the photos in the books" it aint so. I am not saying that useful work cannot be done by amatuers cant be done as it has, and will be. Even the worse is better than Galileo had. But we seem to be getting into "willy showing" I scuba dive and people show off with the latest DUI self donning when I am "2nd Class" with a Nordic sport - if you have a neoprene suit we are not supposed to talk to you (LOL) I am also a model engineer. I have a "chinese" 9x20 lathe. With knowledge and work it can be made to work as well as a Myford but we are regarded as outcasts or poor relations to the Myford 7 / Boxford / Colchester owning clans. I also shoot - I have a gun at ISP at the moment being engraved, custom stock etc etc - why? Maybe so I can look down on the plebs with standard rifles at the club as I wouldnt dare take it for hunting - which is what it was made for - as it has cost me too much. Form over function? Maybe - we should help people to get the very best out of what they have rather than slag it off - my Tasco 114mm reflector only cost me £50 and a bit of work on my mates racing car!