Autoguiding problem

Old April 26th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

Default Autoguiding problem

Hello All

I've an EQ6 mount for which I want to autoguide with. I've also an ATIK
ATK-16IC CCD camera and all the relevant cables. I've also downloaded &
installed Iris & Guidedog. The problem is that these two say there's no
camera or camera not found. I know the camera works because I can take
photos with it using the software that came with it. So my question is where
am I going wrong? The camera is USB but I think Guidedog & Iris are looking
at the LPT port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil

Old April 27th 07, 12:30 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On 26 Apr, 21:16, "Neil" wrote:
Hello All

I've an EQ6 mount for which I want to autoguide with. I've also an ATIK
ATK-16IC CCD camera and all the relevant cables. I've also downloaded &
installed Iris & Guidedog. The problem is that these two say there's no
camera or camera not found. I know the camera works because I can take
photos with it using the software that came with it. So my question is where
am I going wrong? The camera is USB but I think Guidedog & Iris are looking
at the LPT port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil

I don't know about Guidedog but certainly it won't work with Iris as
it will only accept VFW input, i.e. webcam and will only work with
relay boxes on parallel port (not sure the USB option is really
working). I suspect Guidedog is the same.

Andrea T.

Old April 27th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

I don't know about Guidedog but certainly it won't work with Iris as
it will only accept VFW input, i.e. webcam and will only work with
relay boxes on parallel port (not sure the USB option is really
working). I suspect Guidedog is the same.

Andrea T.

Thanks Andrea

You/anybody have any suggestions how I can get this to work or get round it?

Neil

Old April 28th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Terry Fitzpatrick

Neil

You might want to look at the Astronomiser web site
http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/guide.htm where you can get autoguiding bits
and pieces. I am sure there are other places too. You can get a parallel
port "dongle" that has a connection for a standard ST4 cable - that might do
the trick, but I am no expert I must admit.

Terry

Old April 29th 07, 01:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On 27 Apr, 21:26, "Neil" wrote:
I don't know about Guidedog but certainly it won't work with Iris as
it will only accept VFW input, i.e. webcam and will only work with
relay boxes on parallel port (not sure the USB option is really
working). I suspect Guidedog is the same.

Andrea T.

Thanks Andrea

You/anybody have any suggestions how I can get this to work or get round it?

Neil

Neil,

Not sure what you want to achieve and what you have at hand to give
meaningful suggestions.

Andrea T.

Old April 29th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Helen Deborah Vecht

" typed

On 27 Apr, 21:26, "Neil" wrote:
I don't know about Guidedog but certainly it won't work with Iris as
it will only accept VFW input, i.e. webcam and will only work with
relay boxes on parallel port (not sure the USB option is really
working). I suspect Guidedog is the same.

Andrea T.

Thanks Andrea

You/anybody have any suggestions how I can get this to work or get
round it?

Neil

Neil,

Not sure what you want to achieve and what you have at hand to give
meaningful suggestions.

Andrea T.

Have something really meaningless and second hand.

Partner uses Guidedog.
Partner uses USB connections to computer via powered USB hub.
Partner has previously used serial ports for guiding.

Partner's system seems to work OK with powered USB 2 hubs. Things have
been less reliable with unpowered hubs.

This does rely on USB working, and needed a fair bit of tweaking to get
it to work. Computer is 2 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Sorry about second-hand report.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 30th 07, 11:43 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On 29 Apr, 12:03, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
" typed

On 27 Apr, 21:26, "Neil" wrote:
[...]

Edgware.- Hide quoted text -

Well...

What is "Partner" using to guide or expecting to use to guide?
What sort of EQ6 is "Partner" using?

Andrea T.

Old May 1st 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

Hi Terry

"Terry Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Neil

You might want to look at the Astronomiser web site
http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/guide.htm where you can get autoguiding bits
and pieces. I am sure there are other places too. You can get a parallel
port "dongle" that has a connection for a standard ST4 cable - that might

do
the trick, but I am no expert I must admit.

Thanks. I'll certainly look at that in depth ASAP.

Neil

Old May 1st 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

Hello Andrea

Not sure what you want to achieve and what you have at hand to give
meaningful suggestions.

Andrea T.

To answer second question first, I have an EQ6 pro, an ATiK ATK-16IC (USB)
CCD camera, main & guide scopes, laptop with Guidedog & Iris and cables. I
can take unguided pics with the ATK using the software that came with it so
I know that's not the problem. Guidedog & Iris cant seem to find the camera.

To answer the first question I would like to use the ATK to autoguide the
EQ6 (& gain the knowledge & experience that goes with it)

Neil

Old May 1st 07, 09:33 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

Hi Helen

Have something really meaningless and second hand.

Not sure how that helps me (probably because I'm looking up at a very steep
learning curve & not down from the top of it :-( ) but thanks anyway.

Neil