Question about Antares dobsonians,

Old April 29th 07, 05:19 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Q Public

Default Question about Antares dobsonians,

Can anyone tell me anything about the reputation of Antares telescopes? I'm
looking at their 10 inch Dobsonian. But I'm also wondering about the quality
of their 127 mm refractor. Any input?
John.

Old April 29th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
PR Hobson

John Q Public wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about the reputation of Antares telescopes? I'm
looking at their 10 inch Dobsonian. But I'm also wondering about the quality
of their 127 mm refractor. Any input?
John.

http://irwincur.tripod.com/antares_xl_10.htm

I think this will be the same (or at least v similar) to Guan Sheng
Dobsonian see http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...41,283,0,0,1,0

Hope this is useful, P Hobson
Old April 29th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Q Public

"PR Hobson" wrote in
message ...
John Q Public wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about the reputation of Antares telescopes?

I'm
looking at their 10 inch Dobsonian. But I'm also wondering about the

quality
of their 127 mm refractor. Any input?
John.

http://irwincur.tripod.com/antares_xl_10.htm

I think this will be the same (or at least v similar) to Guan Sheng
Dobsonian see http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...41,283,0,0,1,0

Hope this is useful, P Hobson

Thank you very much for these references.
I found them very helpful.
John.

Old May 2nd 07, 12:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Malcolm Stewart

"John Q Public" wrote in message
. ..

Thank you very much for these references.
I found them very helpful.
John.

If you do buy a Dobsonian, get the seller to demonstrate fitting a 2"
eyepiece, even if you are buying it for starters with 1 1/4" eyepieces. I
bought something similar to what's described, and needed a special sleeve
machining because the supplied rack & pinion focuser couldn't deal with a
genuine 2" eyepiece.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old May 2nd 07, 04:16 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Q Public

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message .. .
"John Q Public" wrote in message
. ..

Thank you very much for these references.
I found them very helpful.
John.

If you do buy a Dobsonian, get the seller to demonstrate fitting a 2"
eyepiece, even if you are buying it for starters with 1 1/4" eyepieces. I
bought something similar to what's described, and needed a special sleeve
machining because the supplied rack & pinion focuser couldn't deal with a
genuine 2" eyepiece.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

This is not surprising considering what one of the reviews said. However,

most now offer a crayford focuser as standard equipment. But then the review
says that they had trouble with some 2 inch equipment with the given
crayford focuser.
Perhaps with the upgrade to the 10:1 Crayford, that I've found offered at
"Scopestuff", you might find better luck.
I'm only looking at Antares as a possibility right now because they might
have a little better optics. Although Orion, which is similarly priced, has
a pretty good reputation for that. Plus they should have good, smooth
motion.
But none of this is going to happen till my financial situation is a bit
better, it's just fun to look now, and have the researching footwork done
until then.
Thanks for the tip, maybe this will have been changed by the time I
actually order one.
Yours in the service of Yeshua.