Pioneer 10 anomaly: Galileo, Ulysses?

Old December 24th 03, 03:52 AM
James Harris

Default Pioneer 10 anomaly: Galileo, Ulysses?

I've been reading with interest posts about the Pioneer 10 anomaly,
but noticed in looking back that previously Galileo and Ulysses probes
were also said to have shown the anomaly.

Is that still considered true? If so, to what accuracy?

James Harris
Old December 28th 03, 08:30 PM
George Dishman

"James Harris" wrote in message

Thanks! I'm looking the paper over now. I just want as much
information as possible to show that what's seen with the Pioneer
probes is real, and isn't just some weird wacky thing that just comes
from them before I start questioning the physics that I learned.

Basically before I get too excited by the implications.

When I received my B.S. in physics back in 1991, I looked around and
didn't see anything that excited me, but if the "anomaly" is real,
then physics is a whole new ballgame.

Before you get too excited, bear in mind it is most likely
that the effect has a mundane explanation. For example the
RTGs give of about 2kW of hest and if that was radiated 970W
towards the sun and 1030W away, that would explain the anomaly
(see section VIII, B). Although they rule out that simple
analysis, there is still a significant possibility that some
unrecognised effect of the craft design is responsible.

George

Old December 29th 03, 03:19 PM
James Harris

"George Dishman" wrote in message ...
"James Harris" wrote in message

Thanks! I'm looking the paper over now. I just want as much
information as possible to show that what's seen with the Pioneer
probes is real, and isn't just some weird wacky thing that just comes
from them before I start questioning the physics that I learned.

Basically before I get too excited by the implications.

..
When I received my B.S. in physics back in 1991, I looked around and
didn't see anything that excited me, but if the "anomaly" is real,
then physics is a whole new ballgame.

Before you get too excited, bear in mind it is most likely
that the effect has a mundane explanation. For example the
RTGs give of about 2kW of hest and if that was radiated 970W
towards the sun and 1030W away, that would explain the anomaly
(see section VIII, B). Although they rule out that simple
analysis, there is still a significant possibility that some
unrecognised effect of the craft design is responsible.

George

Well that's why I asked about Galileo and Ulysses: different craft;
different designs. Consider the subject line of this thread.

I've glanced over the paper, and probably will need to look it over
again more thoroughly, but from what I read, craft design is not a
"significant possibility" at this point.

If only there were a probe moving into position soon to check this
phenomenom.

But it could be a few years, even up to a decade, right?

James Harris
Old December 29th 03, 03:40 PM
George Dishman

"James Harris" wrote in message
m...

Well that's why I asked about Galileo and Ulysses: different craft;
different designs. Consider the subject line of this thread.

Point noted.

I've glanced over the paper, and probably will need to look it over
again more thoroughly, but from what I read, craft design is not a
"significant possibility" at this point.

Nobody knows what causes the anomaly but I think most people
expect it to be craft design from the limited number of
people who have commented.

If only there were a probe moving into position soon to check this
phenomenom.

But it could be a few years, even up to a decade, right?

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0308017

".. the mission could be flown as early as in 2010."

However, I think this paper is as far as plans have got. My own
opinion is that projects with a defined scientific output might
take precedence and this will only fly if it can be incorporated
into an existing program. The concern would be that a probe
would be launched, carefully designed to eliminate systematic
effects, and would return a null result, no anomaly. We would
then have confirmed the Pioneer effect was 'craft design' but
be no nearer identifying the cause. I'd love to see it fly, with
a few more instruments on-board, but I couldn't make a case to a
program manager so I am pessimistic.

George

Old December 29th 03, 11:44 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , George Dishman
writes

"James Harris" wrote in message
om...

[...]

As I've said before, results from Cassini seem to have done that
already. In their paper http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0308010v1, John
Anderson and his colleagues say "the uncertainty in the thermal model
overwhelms any plausible application of the Pioneer anomaly to Cassini"
but I'm not convinced. I think it just isn't there.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 30th 03, 03:40 AM
James Harris

Jonathan Silverlight wrote in message ...
In message , George Dishman
writes

[...]

I checked. The Cassini GR test didn't show the anomaly, but couldn't
rule it out either. Your incomplete information marks you as an
unreliable source Jonathan Silverlight. I'll ignore any further posts
from you and recommend that other readers discount your posts.

James Harris