ASTRO: The Bubble Revisited

Old April 5th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: The Bubble Revisited

When I took the H alpha data for this one I also took LRGB data and then
forgot about it. Happened across it a couple weeks ago so decided, with
only clouds, to process it. I don't understand it but part of the
bubble has a blue tint I don't see on photos of others. I don't know
why. I've processed it different ways but that blue remains. So I give
up, this will have to do. Next step would be to merge in the H-alpha
and try Richard Crisps way of blending the H-alpha data with the red and
blue as if it also contained narrow band H-beta as well, to get the
colors more correct. My photoshop skills aren't quite there yet.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=3x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUBBLE_L6X10RGB3X10.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	594
Old April 5th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Rick impressive!
The halo around the bright star seems to be out of illignment with the star,
does that say anything about your collimation? just wundering...

reg
Dirk

Old April 6th 07, 12:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I doubt it. This is a very old shot, back before the temperature
changes ruined the collimation. It was pretty well on when this one was
taken. That was only seen in the blue frames. Think it has something
to do with the blue filter slightly tilted in the filter holder.

Rick

Old April 6th 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

it is a nice shot Rick

it is not at all uncommon for off axis bright stars to have asymmetric halos

it isn't necessarily a tilt in the filter but it could be

I've seen that sort of thing lots of times: it gives the images character
and makes it easy to figure out if someone is using your image in an
unauthorized fashion. Sort of like a watermark!

Old April 6th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Helps when the scope is in collimation. This winter saw 50 degree
temperature swings many days. That really did a number on the
collimation. This was done in the fall before that happened.

Today was perfectly clear so I figured I'd get the collimation done
tonight. Nope clouds rolled back in. I see a faint bright spot where
the moon is.

Rick

Old April 6th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

When I took the H alpha data for this one I also took LRGB data and then
forgot about it. Happened across it a couple weeks ago so decided, with
only clouds, to process it. I don't understand it but part of the
bubble has a blue tint I don't see on photos of others. I don't know
why. I've processed it different ways but that blue remains. So I give
up, this will have to do. Next step would be to merge in the H-alpha
and try Richard Crisps way of blending the H-alpha data with the red and
blue as if it also contained narrow band H-beta as well, to get the
colors more correct. My photoshop skills aren't quite there yet.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=3x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

No words again other then WOW!!!!!

Menno

Old April 6th 07, 02:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
Helps when the scope is in collimation. This winter saw 50 degree
temperature swings many days. That really did a number on the
collimation. This was done in the fall before that happened.

Last summer we were having highs between 110F and 115F for about 10 days and
the lows were in the low 50s to high 40s

we were getting huge temperature swings. The seeing was excellent but
everything had a cooldown time.

I did some experiments suggested by Benoit Schillings and found that
watering down the concrete apron beside my pool where my scope is set up and
also watering the grass: all about two hours before sundown, did wonders in
terms of capturing that good seeing early in the evening. It made at least a
half arc-sec difference and perhaps more.

Otherwise I'd have had to wait until after midnight and with nights only
about 4.25 hours long worth of decent dark, that is a lot of time wasted.

I guess it is hard to use that technique when the temps are 50 below
freezing though.

Old April 7th 07, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

My ground is sand which cools very quickly come evening. Think most of
the seeing is due to turbulence over the hill. It's a bluff so very
steep and there's an almost constant updraft that comes over the hill
and continues up. The Bald Eagles use it for lift when soaring. The
fly along the bluff a few times and go from near lake level to a tiny
dot in the sky in only a few passes. That calms at night but apparently
not a lot many nights. Anything south of the zenith looks through that
flow. Stuff back to the north, like the M101 shot don't see that and
are sharper.

I'm shut down for a bit. The battery in my laptop that controls the
scope died and Dell sent a replacement. Plugged that in and killed the
power supply! I got a message that I was not using xxx power supply and
thus it would shut down to save the computer. Only problem is I checked
and that's exactly the power supply I'm using -- the one that came with
the computer, I have no other. So Dell is sending me a new one, until
then I'm dead in the water. Even the images yet to process are on that
computer and it does the processing. Photoshop CS won't install on this
W2K machine, wrong service pack it tells me. I could upgrade it but
this computer is one third the speed and half the memory and would choke
on my 22 meg image files. Even the 2 G in the laptop has problems at
times. I had a couple others to process from two weeks ago. New moon
coming so the jinx continues.

Rick

Bubble, bubble: searching through the rubble of supernova remnants(Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 April 6th 06 04:46 PM
Bubble, bubble: searching through the rubble of supernova remnants(Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 April 6th 06 04:13 PM
The MMX Revisited [email protected] Astronomy Misc 131 December 19th 05 08:01 PM
Venus Revisited Andrew Gray History 14 January 17th 04 07:19 PM
Hubble Bubble Richard Crisp CCD Imaging 2 October 7th 03 05:18 AM