Who has made the quickest complete orbit of the earth

Old December 6th 05, 02:18 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default Who has made the quickest complete orbit of the earth

Which manned spacecraft has made the quickest complete orbit of the
earth?

I found that the Apollo 17 parking orbit was 90.3 by 90.0 nautical
miles with a period of 87.83 minutes. (According to Orloff in Apollo By
The Numbers http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/SP-4029.htm). Its average
orbit was below any orbit completed by Vostok, Mercury, Voskhod,
Gemini**, Apollo or Skylab missions according to the NASA Goddard
NSSDC Master Catalog (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/sc-query.html).

I haven't checked Soyuz, Shuttle or Shenzhou flights yet.

Does anyone know of a manned spacecraft the completed a lower orbit?

**Gemini 3's final orbit is given as 84 km X 169 km 87 m, but part of
that was re-entry.

-Rusty

Old December 6th 05, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Rusty" wrote in news:1133835537.935946.298770
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Which manned spacecraft has made the quickest complete orbit of the
earth?

I found that the Apollo 17 parking orbit was 90.3 by 90.0 nautical
miles with a period of 87.83 minutes. (According to Orloff in Apollo By
The Numbers http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/SP-4029.htm). Its average
orbit was below any orbit completed by Vostok, Mercury, Voskhod,
Gemini**, Apollo or Skylab missions according to the NASA Goddard
NSSDC Master Catalog (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/sc-query.html).

I haven't checked Soyuz, Shuttle or Shenzhou flights yet.

Does anyone know of a manned spacecraft the completed a lower orbit?

I don't know, but I'll save you some time by saying you won't find it among
the shuttle flights.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 6th 05, 04:28 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"Rusty" wrote in news:1133835537.935946.298770
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Which manned spacecraft has made the quickest complete orbit of the
earth?

I found that the Apollo 17 parking orbit was 90.3 by 90.0 nautical
miles with a period of 87.83 minutes. (According to Orloff in Apollo By
The Numbers http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/SP-4029.htm). Its average
orbit was below any orbit completed by Vostok, Mercury, Voskhod,
Gemini**, Apollo or Skylab missions according to the NASA Goddard
NSSDC Master Catalog (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/sc-query.html).

I haven't checked Soyuz, Shuttle or Shenzhou flights yet.

Does anyone know of a manned spacecraft the completed a lower orbit?

I don't know, but I'll save you some time by saying you won't find it

among
the shuttle flights.

My guess would be Garagin (if you count his flight as really an "orbit".)

After that, perhaps Glenn?

Now how about the opposite, longest?

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

Old December 6th 05, 04:36 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 04:28:17 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Now how about the opposite, longest?

Apollo 13.

Brian
Old December 6th 05, 02:29 PM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:

Now how about the opposite, longest?

Apollo 13.

Hmm, I was tempted to disqualify Apollo missions since at first pass I was
thinking they didn't complete an actual orbit (having gone into orbit around
the Moon and spending less than 28 days there.)

But this is the obvious answer I suppose. Hmm, since Apollo 13 re-entered
though is that properly an orbit?

Brian

Old December 6th 05, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history

In article ,
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
Hmm, I was tempted to disqualify Apollo missions since at first pass I was
thinking they didn't complete an actual orbit (having gone into orbit around
the Moon and spending less than 28 days there.)
But this is the obvious answer I suppose. Hmm, since Apollo 13 re-entered
though is that properly an orbit?

Remember that they departed from parking orbit. From TLI to reentry they
made roughly one complete lap around the Earth, but since they'd made
about 1.5 orbits of their parking orbit first, you can always include a
little bit of that to make it unquestionably a full lap.
Old December 7th 05, 12:44 AM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:
Apollo 14 100.1 by 98.9 n mi 88.18 minutes
snip
Apollo 17 90.3 by 90.0 n mi 87.83 minutes

OK, dumbass orbital mechanics question time. I thought the simple rule
was that the lower you are, the faster you go. So if Apollo 14 was in
a orbit roughly 10nm higher than Apollo 17, how could it be faster?

Unless Orloff is wrong...

Justin

Old December 7th 05, 12:52 AM posted to sci.space.history

Justin Wigg wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Apollo 14 100.1 by 98.9 n mi 88.18 minutes
snip
Apollo 17 90.3 by 90.0 n mi 87.83 minutes

OK, dumbass orbital mechanics question time. I thought the simple rule
was that the lower you are, the faster you go. So if Apollo 14 was in
a orbit roughly 10nm higher than Apollo 17, how could it be faster?

lol - can't read! :-) 87 ! 88

Need glasses in my old age...

Justin