Continents: the result of a Moon-forming collision?

Old October 6th 05, 06:43 AM
Jim McCauley

Default Continents: the result of a Moon-forming collision?

Looking for references on this.

I'm particularly interested in the possibility that today's continents might
be, at least in part, remnants of the crust of the smaller, pre-collision
Earth. The plates on which the continents ride today might be crust that
was formed after the collision, upon which the old crustal fragments ride in
the transportational dance of continental drift.

Strange notion, this -- the modern continents being fractured and displaced
scabs of an ancient planetary surface. Has anyone seriously investigated
this idea?

Jim McCauley

Old October 8th 05, 01:45 PM
Monte Davis

"Jim McCauley" wrote:

Strange notion, this -- the modern continents being fractured and displaced
scabs of an ancient planetary surface. Has anyone seriously investigated
this idea?

It's been in the air since the collision hypothesis got traction in
the 1970s, but it's hard enough finding bits of crust as old as the
collision that haven't been processed out of all recognition. I'm not
sure there's a sample large enough to detect even older bits within
that, but wouldn't be surprised if we got there eventually...
Old October 8th 05, 03:55 PM
Alastair McDonald

"Jim McCauley" wrote in message
Looking for references on this.

I'm particularly interested in the possibility that today's continents might
be, at least in part, remnants of the crust of the smaller, pre-collision
Earth. The plates on which the continents ride today might be crust that
was formed after the collision, upon which the old crustal fragments ride in
the transportational dance of continental drift.

Strange notion, this -- the modern continents being fractured and displaced
scabs of an ancient planetary surface. Has anyone seriously investigated
this idea?

No the continents are being formed continuously by processes at plate margins.

However the you could investigate whether the Ring of Fire is a remnant of the
lunar forming collision.

Cheers, Alastair.

Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM