removing aluminized mirror coating at home- possible to get a precision uncoated primary?

Old August 3rd 04, 11:49 PM
Mike Watson

Default removing aluminized mirror coating at home- possible to get a precision uncoated primary?

Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 4th 04, 02:05 AM
Dennis Woos

Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the
aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be

done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.

Thanks,
Mike

Do not use any physical abrasion on the mirror, or it will probably be
ruined. I have used ferric chloride (circuit board etchant) a number of
times, and it has always done the job. Note that the action is not
instantaneous - it can take several hours.

Dennis

Old August 4th 04, 05:11 AM
Etok

Mike Watson wrote:
Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.

Thanks,
Mike

I have been told by knowledgeable people from the Telescope Maker's
Workshop that a caustic soda solution (i.e.: "Drano")will remove the
aluminum coating in an overnight soaking.
I do not know the proportions, but perhaps someone here has used this
technique?

Regards,
Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old August 4th 04, 06:11 AM
Dawn Baird-Chleborad

"Mike Watson" wrote in message link.net...
Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.

I'm sure all of the arm chair experts will chime in as this not being
the reccomended path, but.....

An easily obtainable stripping agent is Ferric Chloride AKA P.C. Board
Etchant - available at Radio Shack or Electronic supply houses. I've
stripped GOBS of mirrors this way with no problems.

-Cary "Rockhead" Chleborad
(using Dawn's Computer)
Old August 4th 04, 08:46 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Etok
writes
Mike Watson wrote:
Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.
Thanks,
Mike

I have been told by knowledgeable people from the Telescope Maker's
Workshop that a caustic soda solution (i.e.: "Drano")will remove the
aluminum coating in an overnight soaking.
I do not know the proportions, but perhaps someone here has used this
technique?

Sodium hydroxide is vicious stuff will attack aluminium fairly quickly -
it takes longer where there are finger prints or grease marks. The worry
is that it will also dissolve some glass especially near any scratches
or stress points which is not really what you want.

Dilute hydrochloric acid is probably a better bet for clean removal. It
dissolves aluminium metal to the chloride and does not attack glass.
Ferric chloride PCB etchant will also do the same but is messier.

Whatever you use wear eye protection.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old August 5th 04, 09:16 PM
Etok

Dawn Baird-Chleborad wrote:
"Mike Watson" wrote in message link.net...

Would it be possible for me to dissolve, scrape, remove, etc. the aluminized
mirror coating to be left with an uncoated primary? How would this be done?
I want to build a solar scope and I have an old 6" primary I'm not using.

I'm sure all of the arm chair experts will chime in as this not being
the reccomended path, but.....

An easily obtainable stripping agent is Ferric Chloride AKA P.C. Board
Etchant - available at Radio Shack or Electronic supply houses. I've
stripped GOBS of mirrors this way with no problems.

-Cary "Rockhead" Chleborad
(using Dawn's Computer)

I don't have arms on my chair, and perhaps that's why it sounds good to me.
Thanks for the tip.