Science Marches On, Equality Moulders

Old December 22nd 10, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Science Marches On, Equality Moulders

The following news story

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1221101926.htm

is potentially very disturbing.

One in five white Americans, but one in eight African-Americans, has a
particular gene variant that affects how dopamine works in the brain.

This gene variant is apparently a bad one; the effect noted in the
research is that if people with this variant use cocaine, they're more
likely to end up with a habit that could end fatally. (In practice,
though, African-Americans who do use cocaine are more likely to be
using it in the much more addictive form of crack cocaine, far
outweighing this genetic advantage.)

The article mentions that dopamine also influences cognition. Dopamine
is connected with the reward system in the brain, with attention-
deficit disorder, with sociability. Hence, findings that there are
different gene frequencies that affect dopamine in the brain between
white Americans and African-Americans has the potential to open the
door to the "scientific" revival of a host of racial stereotypes.

John Savard
Old December 22nd 10, 01:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Oops. I meant to inflict this off-topic post on another newsgroup, not
this one.

John Savard
Old December 22nd 10, 04:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_38_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message
| The following news story
|
| http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1221101926.htm
|
| is potentially very disturbing.
|
| One in five white Americans, but one in eight African-Americans, has a
| particular gene variant that affects how dopamine works in the brain.
|
| This gene variant is apparently a bad one; the effect noted in the
| research is that if people with this variant use cocaine, they're more
| likely to end up with a habit that could end fatally. (In practice,
| though, African-Americans who do use cocaine are more likely to be
| using it in the much more addictive form of crack cocaine, far
| outweighing this genetic advantage.)
|
| The article mentions that dopamine also influences cognition.

Yeah, they all look the same to me.

Old December 22nd 10, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

The important question is whether you intended it to be off-topic on
the other forum. I never thought of you as a stereotypical troll. ;-)

Getting rapidly back on topic... (?).. isn't almost certain death from
drug abuse a damned good thing? If it helps to remove such
characteristics from the gene pool... (albeit on a limited scale)
Drug abuse is far more than destructive of the weak personalities
involved. Since it usually involves all sorts of criminal behaviour in
the supply chain and often to directly fund the habit. Then there's
driving and working while under the influence. The endless, tragic
problems suffered by innocent partners and offspring. The medical
support. Funding the Taliban and other organisations. The cost to
society of policing and imprisonment. The list just goes on and on. (a
bit like me really) :-)

Old December 22nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Dec 22, 11:38*am, "Chris.B" wrote:
The important question is whether you intended it to be off-topic on
the other forum. I never thought of you as a stereotypical troll. ;-)

Let's just say that the other group's range of topics is broader than
this one's.

John Savard
Old December 22nd 10, 09:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Dec 22, 7:59*pm, Quadibloc wrote:

Let's just say that the other group's range of topics is broader than
this one's.

I find that very hard to believe! :-)

Old December 24th 10, 01:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Dec 24, 2:25*pm, "ngc457" wrote:

Yeah, great idea, sell drugs at Walmart - "What do I need? Milk, bread,
cocaine, yeah cocaine, it's on special." *The first parents to find their kids
dead on the floor calls for a ban...

Just tax it and put a nasty image on the packets. If it works for
cigarettes....