Simple free or share sky software?

Old March 7th 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_5_]

Default Simple free or share sky software?

My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows
the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides
if possible)?
--
John.
Old March 7th 09, 09:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"John" wrote in message
news
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a laptop
with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows the sky
nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides if
possible)?
--
John.

Cartes de Ciel aka SkyCharts
http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/download.html

Old March 8th 09, 11:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
RMOLLISE

On Mar 7, 3:50*pm, John wrote:
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows
the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides
if possible)?
--
John.

In addition to the two already mentioned, Stellarium and Cartes du
Ciel, be sure to have a look at Stellarium, which is also free, and in
some ways resembles Starry Night.

Old March 9th 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
catzz66

John wrote:
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows
the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides
if possible)?
--
John.

Night Vision is a Java application and ought to run on almost any
computer.

http://home.att.net/~bsimpson/nvj.html
Old March 10th 09, 10:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mutz

John wrote in news
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows
the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides
if possible)?
--
John.

Get the Version 3 of Cartes du Ciel, it is much better than Version 2 even
though it is still a beta.
Old March 17th 09, 12:33 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"John" wrote in message
news
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a laptop
with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows the sky
nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides if
possible)?
--

Hi John -I'm interested to know,
How did you get on with these? Which ones did you try?

Another one that is visually quite appealing (but probably not really what
you're looking for) is a program called Celestia
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Old March 18th 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
classicalcompo

On 8 Mar, 04:50, John wrote:
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that shows
the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet ephemerides
if possible)?
--
John.

Hi,
There are many astronomy software out there and for your problem,
since you are using Starry Night, which has the "connect-to-your-
telescope" feature, you should download Microsoft WorldWide Telescope
from http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx . It has a clear
interface and it is easy to use. But if you do not have a real
telescope, download Google Earth ( which has an astronomical feature)
or Stellarium ( which shows constellations in 3D).
Old March 24th 09, 12:46 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_5_]

In message , OG
writes

"John" wrote in message
news
My very old copy of Starry Night refuses to work now that I am on a
laptop with Windows XP. Can anyone recommend a simple program that
shows the sky nightly, (and including the facility to add in comet
ephemerides if possible)?
--

Hi John -I'm interested to know,
How did you get on with these? Which ones did you try?

Hello Owen,
Urgent domestic business is keeping me busy at the moment but I'll
report back when things have settled down.
--
John

HELP DESK SOFTWARE application designed to be simple to install andeasy to use [email protected] Misc 0 August 7th 08 04:42 AM
FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD KAVITHA Astronomy Misc 0 June 17th 08 01:14 PM
Do you want to buy almost free software? Magnetism Q. Riyadh News 0 April 3rd 06 11:33 PM
Free TT&C software AeroGirl Technology 2 January 27th 05 04:42 PM
Free Astronomy Log Software David Green Amateur Astronomy 4 August 6th 03 02:11 AM