ASTRO: Abell 1758

Old June 15th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Abell 1758

Located some 3.1 billion light years light travel time from us this is
one faint object. Many of the galaxies in this cluster have gathered
around two giant elliptical galaxies making it look like a galaxy
equivalent of the Double Cluster. Though if you look closer you find
there are many faint galaxies looking like stars throughout the image,
not just around the two giant ellipticals. The Coma Cluster also seems
to collect around two giant ellipticals in much this same fashion.

I saw cloud were coming and I likely had less than an hour imaging time
so I picked this as a black and white object to image before the clouds
arrived. I started some 20 minutes before the start of astronomical
twilight due to the incoming clouds and was clouded out after only 4
frames. I'd hoped for at least 6 before the clouds arrived but that
didn't happen. Since then nothing but clouds so I've given up and
processed what I had. It's not much but it's all the weather man is
giving me of late.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABELL1758MED_L4X10.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1963
Old June 15th 08, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

nice work Rick!

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old June 16th 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Very cool Rick.... I would not have thought to see them that well.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
. com...