Daily Report # 4361

Old May 14th 07, 02:15 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report # 4361

Notice: For the foreseeable future, the daily reports may contain apparent
discrepancies between some proposal descriptions and the listed instrument
usage. This is due to the conversion of previously approved ACS WFC or HRC
observations into WFPC2, or NICMOS observations subsequent to the loss of
ACS CCD science capability in late January.

DAILY REPORT # 4361

PERIOD COVERED: UT May 11,12,13, 2007 (DOY 131,132,133)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of NICMOS.
Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA contour 23,
and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50 minutes of coming
out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in parallel in all three NICMOS
Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non- standard reference files available
to users with a USEAFTER date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time'
will also be added to the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword
must be populated with the time, in addition to the date, because HST
crosses the SAA ~8 times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the
appropriate time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both
the raw and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally
we expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within 50
minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR persistence
from the science images. Each observation will need its own CRMAP, as
different SAA passages leave different imprints on the NICMOS detectors.

NIC3 11072

Measuring the Physical Properties of the first two WASP transiting
extrasolar planets

We have recently discovered the first two transiting extrasolar planets from
the Wide Angle Search for Planets {WASP} project and confirmed both as
planets using SOPHIE radial velocity measurements. Both WASP-1b and WASP-2b
orbit about stars brighter than V=12, and are thus ideal targets for HST
followup. WASP-1b is probably inflated in a manner similar to HD209458b but
is in a closer orbit about the parent, which itself is the earliest-type
parent star yet announced for a transiting extrasolar planet. At 0.03 AU
from the parent star, WASP-2b is close to the minimum separation at which
planets of this mass range are thought to survive. We request DD
observations of WASP-1b and WASP- 2b, to constrain the masses and radii of
both objects to a precision of a few tenths of a percent. Both parent stars
have very similar brightnesses to the TrES-1 parent star, thus we will
achieve equivalent photometric precision to previous successful observations
of TrES-1b. As all further physical investigations {such as interior
heating} depend on precise mass- and radius-determinations, this
investigation is the essential next step in uncovering the physical
characteristics of these planets and their parent stars. We have requested
12 orbits, though 9 orbits would provide the minimum acceptable coverage for
our program. The consortium will formally announce the discoveries of
WASP-1b and WASP-2b on Tuesday 26th September 2006. We ask that all material
in this proposal be kept confidential until that date. We can supply the
discovery paper on request after this date.

NIC1 11063

NICMOS Focus Monitoring

This program is a version of the standard focus sweep used since cycle 7. It
has been modified to go deeper and uses more narrow filters for improved
focus determination. For Cycle14 a new source has been added in order to
accomodate 2-gyro mode: the open cluster NGC1850. The old target, the open
cluster NGC3603, will be used whenever available and the new target used to
fill the periods when NGC3603 is not visible. Steps: a} Use refined target
field positions as determined from cycle 7 calibrations b} Use MULTIACCUM
sequences of sufficient dynamic range to account for defocus c} Do a 17-
point focus sweep, +/- 8mm about the PAM mechanical zeropoint for each
cameras 1 and 2, in 1.0mm steps. d} Use PAM X/Y tilt and OTA offset slew
compensations refined from previous focus monitoring/optical alignment
activities

FGS 11019

Monitoring FGS1r's Interferometric Response as a Function of Spectral Color

This proosal uses FGS1r in Transfer mode to observe standard single stars of
a variety of spectral types to obtain point source interferograms for the
Transfer mode calibration library. In specific cases, the calibration star
will also be observed in POS mode multiple times with the F583W and F5ND
elements to provide the data to verify the stabiligy of the cross filter
calibration.

ACS/SBC 10907

New Sightlines for the Study of Intergalactic Helium: A Dozen
High-Confidence, UV-Bright Quasars from SDSS/GALEX

The reionization of intergalactic helium is thought to have occurred between
redshifts of about 3 and 4. Detailed study of HeII Lyman-alpha absorption
toward a handful quasars at 2.7z3.3 demonstrates the great potential of
such probes of the IGM, but the current critically-small sample limits
confidence in resulting cosmological inferences. The requisite unobscured
quasar sightlines to high-redshift are extremely rare, especially due to
severe absorption in random intervening Lyman-limit systems, but SDSS
provides thousands of z3.1 quasars potentially suitable for HeII studies.
We have cross-correlated SDSS quasars with GALEX UV sources to obtain a
dozen new, very high-confidence, candidate quasars/sightlines {z=3.1 to 4.1}
potentially useful for detailed HeII studies even with current HST
instruments. We propose brief, 2-orbit per target, reconnaissance spectral
exposures with the ACS SBC prism to definitively verify UV flux down to the
HeII break. Our combined SDSS/GALEX selection insures a very high-yield of
confirmations, as the quasars are already known to be UV-bright from
broadband GALEX images. The additional sightlines, extending to very
high-redshift, will directly enable ensemble spectral stacks, as well as
long exposure follow-up spectra, at high S/N with the ACS/SBC ultraviolet
prisms {or perhaps STIS or COS later}, to confidently measure the spectrum
and evolution of the ionizing background radiation, the evolution of HeII
opacity, and the density of intergalactic baryons.

NIC1 10889

The Nature of the Halos and Thick Disks of Spiral Galaxies

We propose to resolve the extra-planar stellar populations of the thick
disks and halos of seven nearby, massive, edge-on galaxies using ACS,
NICMOS, and WFPC2 in parallel. These observations will provide accurate star
counts and color-magnitude diagrams 1.5 magnitudes below the tip of the Red
Giant Branch sampled along the two principal axes and one intermediate axis
of each galaxy. We will measure the metallicity distribution functions and
stellar density profiles from star counts down to very low average surface
brightnesses, equivalent to ~32 V-mag per square arcsec. These observations
will provide the definitive HST study of extra-planar stellar populations of
spiral galaxies. Our targets cover a range in galaxy mass, luminosity, and
morphology and as function of these galaxy properties we will provide: - The
first systematic study of the radial and isophotal shapes of the diffuse
stellar halos of spiral galaxies - The most detailed comparative study to
date of thick disk morphologies and stellar populations - A comprehensive
analysis of halo and thick disk metallicity distributions as a function of
galaxy type and position within the galaxy. - A sensitive search for tidal
streams - The first opportunity to directly relate globular cluster systems
to their field stellar population We will use these fossil records of the
galaxy assembly process preserved in the old stellar populations to test
halo and thick disk formation models within the hierarchical galaxy
formation scheme. We will test LambdaCDM predictions on sub-galactic scales,
where it is difficult to test using CMB and galaxy redshift surveys, and
where it faces its most serious difficulties.

WFPC2 10880

The host galaxies of QSO2s: AGN feeding and evolution at high luminosities

Now that the presence of supermassive black holes in the nuclei of galaxies
is a well established fact, other questions related to the AGN phenomena
still have to be answered. Problems of particular interest are how the AGN
gets fed, how the black hole evolves and how the evolution of the black hole
is related to the evolution of the galaxy bulge. Here we propose to address
some of these issues using ACS/WFC + F775W snapshot images of 73 QSO2s with
redshifts in the range 0.3z0.4. These observations will be combined with
similar archival data of QSO1s and ground based data of Seyfert and normal
galaxies. First, we will intestigate whether interactions are the most
important feeding mechanism in high luminosity AGNs. This will be done in a
quantitative way, comparing the asymmetry indices of QSO2 hosts with those
of lower luminosity AGNs and normal galaxies. Second, we will do a detailed
study of the morphology of the host galaxies of both QSO types, to determine
if they are similar, or if there is an evolutionary trend from QSO2s to
QSO1s. The results from this project will represent an important step in the
understanding of AGN evolution, and may also introduce a substantial
modification to the Unified Model.

WFPC2 10877

A Snapshot Survey of the Sites of Recent, Nearby Supernovae

During the past few years, robotic {or nearly robotic} searches for
supernovae {SNe}, most notably our Lick Observatory Supernova Search {LOSS},
have found hundreds of SNe, many of them in quite nearby galaxies {cz 4000
km/s}. Most of the objects were discovered before maximum brightness, and
have follow-up photometry and spectroscopy; they include some of the
best-studied SNe to date. We propose to conduct a snapshot imaging survey of
the sites of some of these nearby objects, to obtain late-time photometry
that {through the shape of the light and color curves} will help reveal the
origin of their lingering energy. The images will also provide
high-resolution information on the local environments of SNe that are far
superior to what we can procure from the ground. For example, we will obtain
color-color and color-magnitude diagrams of stars in these SN sites, to
determine the SN progenitor masses and constraints on the reddening.
Recovery of the SNe in the new HST images will also allow us to actually
pinpoint their progenitor stars in cases where pre- explosion images exist
in the HST archive. This proposal is an extension of our successful Cycle 13
snapshot survey with ACS. It is complementary to our Cycle 15 archival
proposal, which is a continuation of our long-standing program to use
existing HST images to glean information about SN environments.

WFPC2 10867

SAINTS - Supernova 1987A INTensive Survey

SAINTS is a program to observe SN 1987A, the brightest supernova in 383
years, as it morphs into the youngest supernova remnant at age 19. HST is a
unique tool for spatially- resolved observations of the many physical
components of SN 1987A. A violent encounter is now underway between the
fastest-moving debris and the circumstellar ring: the collision excites
"hotspots" that light up suddenly. The optical, infrared and X-ray fluxes
are rising rapidly and vary significantly on 6-month time scales:
regularly-spaced HST, SPITZER, and CHANDRA observations are needed to
understand the physics of these shocked regions. In Cycle 15, the many
separate hotspots may begin to fuse as the shock fully enters the
circumstellar ring. Photons from these shocks may excite previously
invisible gas outside the ring, revealing the true extent of the mass loss
that preceded the explosion of Sanduleak -69 202. The inner debris of the
explosion itself, still excited by radioactive isotopes produced in the
explosion, is now resolved by ACS and seen to be aspherical, providing
direct evidence on the asymmetry of the explosion. Many questions about SN
1987A remain unanswered despite our diligent efforts at observation and
analysis since the launch of HST. How did the enigmatic three rings form?
Precisely what took place in the core during the core collapse and bounce?
Is a black hole or a neutron star left behind in the debris? The rich and
deep data set from SAINTS will be a resource for current use and for future
reference to help answer these central questions of supernova science.

ACS/SBC 10862

Comprehensive Auroral Imaging of Jupiter and Saturn during the International
Heliophysical Year

A comprehensive set of observations of the auroral emissions from Jupiter
and Saturn is proposed for the International Heliophysical Year in 2007, a
unique period of especially concentrated measurements of space physics
phenomena throughout the solar system. We propose to determine the physical
relationship of the various auroral processes at Jupiter and Saturn with
conditions in the solar wind at each planet. This can be accomplished with
campaigns of observations, with a sampling interval not to exceed one day,
covering at least one solar rotation. The solar wind plasma density
approaching Jupiter will be measured by the New Horizons spacecraft, and a
separate campaign near opposition in May 2007 will determine the effect of
large-scale variations in the interplanetary magnetic field {IMF} on the
Jovian aurora by extrapolation from near-Earth solar wind measurements. A
similar Saturn campaign near opposition in Jan. 2007 will combine
extrapolated solar wind data with measurements from a wide range of
locations within the Saturn magnetosphere by Cassini. In the course of
making these observations, it will be possible to fully map the auroral
footprints of Io and the other satellites to determine both the local
magnetic field geometry and the controlling factors in the electromagnetic
interaction of each satellite with the corotating magnetic field and plasma
density. Also in the course of making these observations, the auroral
emission properties will be compared with the properties of the near-IR
ionospheric emissions {from ground-based observations} and non thermal radio
emissions, from ground-based observations for Jupiter?s decametric radiation
and Cassini plasma wave measurements of the Saturn Kilometric Radiation
{SKR}.

WFPC2 10832

Solving the microlensing puzzle: An HST high-resolution imaging approach

We propose to use the HST Advanced Camera for Surveys High Resolution
Channel to obtain high resolution imaging data for 10 bona-fide LMC
microlensing events seen in the original MACHO survey. The purpose of this
survey will be to assess whether or not the lens and source stars have
separated enough to be resolved since the original microlensing event took
place - about a decade has passed since the original MACHO survey and the
HST WFPC2 follow-up observations of the microlensing events. If the
components of the lensing event are resolved, we will determine the apparent
magnitude and color of both the lens and the source stars. These data, in
combination with Spitzer/IRAC data and Magellan near-IR JHK data, will be
used to ascertain the basic properties of the lens stars. With the majority
of the microlensing events in the original MACHO survey observed at the
highest spatial resolution currently possible, we will be able to draw
important conclusions as to what fraction of these events have lenses which
belong to some population of dwarf stars in the disk and what fraction must
be due to lenses in the halo or beyond. These data will greatly increase our
understanding of the structure of the Galaxy by characterizing the stellar
population responsible for the gravitational microlensing.

WFPC2 10800

Kuiper Belt Binaries: Probes of Early Solar System Evolution

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt are a scientific windfall: in them we have
relatively fragile test particles which can be used as tracers of the early
dynamical evolution of the outer Solar System. We propose to continue a
Snapshot program using the ACS/HRC that has a demonstrated discovery
potential an order of magnitude higher than the HST observations that have
already discovered the majority of known transneptunian binaries. With this
continuation we seek to reach the original goals of this project: to
accumulate a sufficiently large sample in each of the distinct populations
collected in the Kuiper Belt to be able to measure, with statistical
significance, how the fraction of binaries varies as a function of their
particular dynamical paths into the Kuiper Belt. Today's Kuiper Belt bears
the imprints of the final stages of giant-planet building and migration;
binaries may offer some of the best preserved evidence of that long-ago era.

WFPC2 10786

Rotational state and composition of Pluto's outer satellites

We propose an intricate set of observations aimed at discovering the
rotational state of the newly discovered satellites of Pluto, S/2005 P1 and
S/2005 P2. These observations will indicate if the satellites are in
synchronous rotation or not. If they are not, then the observations will
determine the rotational period or provide tight constraints on the
amplitude. The other primary goal is to extend the wavelength coverage of
the colors of the surface and allow us to constrain the surface compositions
of both objects. From these data we will also be able to significantly
improve the orbits of P1 and P2, improve the measurement of the bulk density
of Charon, and search for albedo changes on the surface of Pluto.

WFPC2 10782

Quit winking: Jupiter opens its other eye

This week {March 6} a new red spot on Jupiter was announced, dubbed "Red
Spot Jr.'' by the press. It appears to be White Oval BA, the remanant of the
three White Ovals that merged during 1998-2000. The new spot is deep red
like the Great Red Spot {GRS} rather than bright white as were the ovals. We
believe that the color change of the oval from white to red is indicative of
a temperature change, as predicted by one of us in a Nature paper in 2004.
The goal of our proposed observations is to test our theory of jovian
climate change through observations of dynamical features of Red Spot Jr.
and its surroundings, which provide indirect measurements of changes in the
temperature and stratification of the jovian weather layer.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTARS:

10809 - GSACQ(2,1,2) failed

GSACQ(2,1,2) at 133/12:18:16 failed to RGA control at 12:22:47 with QF2STOPF
and QSTOP flags set. REACQ(2,1,2) at 13:53:16 also failed at 13:57:00.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18076-0 - MSS/Gyro2 Initialization Test #35

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq 24 23
FGS REacq 14 13
OBAD with Maneuver 76 76

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Evaluation of Universal Kalman Filter performance continued. Details follow.

Background Kalman Filter Operation Flash Report for day 131

The KF was halted at 131/16:20 (OR 18076-0). The filter was restarted at
131/16:24 during orbit day and during an M2G guiding interval. The filter
was activated with MSS and Gyro2 sensor inputs enabled. The filter was
activated during orbit day, during a vehicle slew, during an M2G guiding
interval and during slow changing B-field. All UKF parameters showed nominal
operation. The test was an MSS/Gyro2 Initialization test case during a slow
changing B-field and during a vehicle slew (M_G2_IVS, Test #35).

The filter was reconfigured for MSS only input and restarted at 18:15 to
provide a long baseline of MSS only performance.

Daily Report #4158 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 19th 06 03:52 PM
DAILY REPORT # 4157 Rosalie Consiglio Hubble 0 July 18th 06 06:01 PM
3984 Daily Report Joe Cooper Hubble 0 November 10th 05 03:25 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM